What is success for you - in the long term?

ATB

If you been reading this forum for some time you could easily divide this forum in the categories "optimist" and "pessimist" and people that support Pardew more than others. And that has definitely been ongoing for some time (:lol:). But surly we all want the same thing - success for Newcastle United Football Club?

That´s what has hit me the last few days. Because how can some people just "stick there head in the sand" and "blindly support Ashley and Pardew" the way this season has gone (as I sees it), don´t they also want us to be successively?

Then it just hit me. Maybe we all want success. But maybe we define it differently. Because what is "success"? And most important. What is success for you?? And that is just between us fans, but also to the club. How are they defining success? My point is. Why discuss players and systems if some are happy with PL contract and some wants to win PL.

So

What is "success" for you and were do you want this club to be in the long term to call it an successfully club?

For this season, staying in the Premiership and keeping our best players and adding to the squad in the summer.

In the long term, a trophy, and staying in the top 10 at the minimum and fighting for/getting into Europe.

I wouldn't consider just staying up 'success' really.

It's a very difficult one to answer, sporting competition in the PL is obsolete because everything is in the hands of the mega rich clubs. Unless we spend massively, we will never win the league. Nobody will, that's a fact. Even if we qualify for the Champs League again we probably don't have the resources to compete.

I would love us to win a trophy, for this reason I've always thought we should take the cups much more seriously.

In day-to-day terms, I just want us to continue to try and progress as a club by making the best signings we can and entertaining our fans on a weekend.

Guest Craig-NUFC

This year: Stay in the division.

Next year: Top 10

Year after and onwards: Stability and start pushing for a regular European place and challenging for cups.

5+ years: See results from the investment in the Academy.

Challenge for the league title, cups, and Europe every year. Never understood the contentment with finishing top half or making it to the semi-finals of a cup competition. Guess fans of smaller clubs have to temper their expectations with the threat of relegation ever present, but the goal of any club should be to win first-and-foremost.

Guest malandro

Regularly compete for European places and try to win a cup.

:thup:

Bottom end of the success scale but... This with two additions. That we do it playing positive attacking football and in a Stadium that isn't covered in shit.

It's one thing to accept our limitations as a club, but there's no excuse for not doing it in style.

Challenge for the league title, cups, and Europe every year. Never understood the contentment with finishing top half or making it to the semi-finals of a cup competition. Guess fans of smaller clubs have to temper their expectations with the threat of relegation ever present, but the goal of any club should be to win first-and-foremost.

How can we challenge for the title though? You must know that's impossible unless you spend mega money.

How can we challenge for the title though? You must know that's impossible unless you spend mega money.

It should still be the goal, even if it's not realistically attainable. I just don't accept the notion that I should be happy with a team that aims for anything less. What's the point otherwise?

I suppose football itself does hold intrinsic value, but that's not enough to overcome the extrinsic value of the game either, imo.

It should still be the goal, even if it's not realistically attainable.

Ah right, well I suppose in theory it is the goal, because we take part in a league.

The financial side of football just feels like a massive bubble waiting to bust and if that happens then we could benefit but until then I can't really see us doing much when the people in charge keep appointing their friends as managers and only make important signings sporadically.

I often wonder where we'd be with a chairman who backs his manager in the way other clubs do. Impossible to gauge really.