What is success for you - in the long term?

ATB

The financial side of football just feels like a massive bubble waiting to bust and if that happens then we could benefit but until then I can't really see us doing much when the people in charge keep appointing their friends as managers and only make important signings sporadically.

I often wonder where we'd be with a chairman who backs his manager in the way other clubs do. Impossible to gauge really.

Any examples in mind?

Regularly compete for European places and try to win a cup.

:thup:

Bottom end of the success scale but... This with two additions. That we do it playing positive attacking football and in a Stadium that isn't covered in s***.

It's one thing to accept our limitations as a club, but there's no excuse for not doing it in style.

Agree completely with that too.

This year: Stay in the division.

Next year: Top 10

Year after and onwards: Stability and start pushing for a regular European place and challenging for cups.

5+ years: See results from the investment in the Academy.

:thup:

Long term: Challenge for the top 5 spots regularly. Evolving local talents to premier league players. Bringing up more than just one every ten year.(S Taylor).

Winning a trophy. Any Trophy.

edit:

Would be nice to attract players for other reasons than money.

Success isn't really a static concept, is it?

I guess if you take things for granted quickly you can re-evaluate what constitutes success and risk being called overly-demanding/delusional etc for doing so - which is where a lot of the conflict on this board comes from.

A short 6 months ago, I think Dave's answer would have been right. We've had to re-base what success is, and depressing though it may be, success this year would be staying up.

Ultimately for me though, any meaningful success (ie. success which a club with our resources could reasonably be expected to achieve if utilised/performing to its maximum/near maximum potential over a number of seasons) could only be achieved through the club being Ashley/Pardew-less or we are forever at risk of having our feet cut out from beneath us.

Steady progress.

Agree, but I would also say that steady progress doesn't mean no setbacks.

Absolutely. I actually expected some regression this year -- it's statistically highly probable after a year of over-achievement, nearly inevitable with the lack of investment in the squad. The lack of form this season seems like more than just a setback, though.

Win a cup as the league is a bit too far. Get back into the champions league, I'd love to see us play teams like Dortmund, which brings me to another point.. I'd love us to play like them.. I know it's not 'success' as such but if all were doing at the moment is hover around in the bottom half of the table then I'd like us to be at least entertaining to watch (bit like arsenal in that play nice but never win owt). Being able to win away from home and win from being behind I'd count as a success too as right now it's fucking pitiful how bad we are at it.

Fulfilling our potential. We can't expect to win things any more because there are 4-5 clubs with much more financial resources. After that though we should always be near the top of the second group, similar to Everton.

To end our trophy drought, for me it's been a lifetime, I was one month old when the fairs cup was paraded around the city, I don't remember that day to vividly. It's criminal that a club with the support and tradition that we have, have had to wait so long and put up with so much in the mean time.

I want to feel that joy of success we tasted during KKs time and to a lesser extent Bobby's time, but I want it to be capped with something physical to show for our efforts.

Our league cup form has always pissed me off to be honest, it's even more winnable than the fa cup and even this year it could be Swansea v Bradford yet without fail we put in a shit performance and go out early.

I've totally forgotten about Europe with all the transfer nonsense, but I'm hoping we take the rest of it seriously. Probably won't like.

If we'd been taking it seriously we'd have strengthened in the summer. It's probably considered no more than a hindrance at this stage, similar to how we conceded the FA Cup tie to Brighton. Because concentrating on not getting relegated is more important.

Win a cup as the league is a bit too far. Get back into the champions league, I'd love to see us play teams like Dortmund, which brings me to another point.. I'd love us to play like them.. I know it's not 'success' as such but if all were doing at the moment is hover around in the bottom half of the table then I'd like us to be at least entertaining to watch (bit like arsenal in that play nice but never win owt). Being able to win away from home and win from being behind I'd count as a success too as right now it's fucking pitiful how bad we are at it.

:thup: I think playing good football, for me personally, is a big part of being successful.

:thup: I think playing good football, for me personally, is a big part of being successful.

There aren't many teams regularly qualifying for Europe playing the long ball game any more.

Success for me would be for us to play entertaining football that makes me look forward to watching a game on a weekend.

Oh and to finish in a European spot every other season would be nice. To win a trophy would be cool as well, but I can't see us doing that any time soon. Not even long term.