England: Thomas Tuchel signs 18 month contract with England from Jan 1 2025 (Official)

Nobody

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just don't see why there's a distinction there. I've seen people say that there is, but not why. Not only are England players paid and bonused both directly and indirectly for playing for England, but it's also very easy to argue that managing England is an honour not done for financial reasons. 

I get what you mean about across the board with other countries. Maybe there could be a ranking or seeding system set up whereby countries who are deemed to be establishing their infrastructure get dispensation to hire coaching staff from outside. 

It could be too easy to find a loophole maybe. 

You could have Lee Carsley as the "Manager" then Tuchel could be the "Coaching Consultant" or some other title. Unless you made a rule that the whole backroom team had to be whatever nationality. See how active Jason Tindall is on our touchline, if you didn't know who was the manager and who was the assistant, I don't think someone could watch them and decide conclusively either way.

3 hours ago, macphisto said:

It makes you think about the job Ashworth did for England. A long-term plan should have been in place with coaches embedded within Southgate's set-up and Under 21s.

:lol: At this rate we could soon blame Ashworth for the atrocities in Gaza and global warming.

1. It's 6 years since Ashworth resigned from his position in the FA

2. It seems they had a plan in place, namely to promote Carsley same way Southgate was, and the FA decided to deviate from their plan

Getting away from the English managers for the England job - which is perfectly understandable in my view - I do think Tuchel is probably a far better fit for international management than club. His main problem at club level is that he's an arsey cunt who can get into fights with his own shadow given enough time. As an international manager he's not going to be seeing club officials or players that often so less opportunity for conflicts. Add to that, he's actually quite a brilliant coach when the personality stuff is out of the way. I don't really see a downside for England on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just don't see why there's a distinction there. I've seen people say that there is, but not why. Not only are England players paid and bonused both directly and indirectly for playing for England, but it's also very easy to argue that managing England is an honour not done for financial reasons. 

I get what you mean about across the board with other countries. Maybe there could be a ranking or seeding system set up whereby countries who are deemed to be establishing their infrastructure get dispensation to hire coaching staff from outside. 

Managing England is a job. Playing for England isn’t.