Pressley leaves Hearts

midds

has he been linked to anyone? I would have thought there would have been quite a lot v speculation but i havent heard anything

Could he play in europe?

Pretty sure he played Champions League Qualifiers and UEFA Cup football at Hearts this season.

If we sign him now he can't play till Jan 1st, like Keane and Celtic if you remember

Keane was injured when he signed for Celtic, that was the reason he didn't play until jan 1st.

No regardless of how injured he was he wasn't allowed to play until January 1st.

If we sign him now he can't play till Jan 1st, like Keane and Celtic if you remember

Keane was injured when he signed for Celtic, that was the reason he didn't play until jan 1st.

No regardless of how injured he was he wasn't allowed to play until January 1st.

This is true.

He did indeed play in Europe for Hearts and would therefore be cup tied.  Hearts were paying him in the region of £6k-£7k per week.  Romanov wants to sell Craig Gordon, Paul Hartley and Tynecastle for a net profit against the club's debt which he transferred to his Lithuanian bank account last year.  He will then close the club down and walk away.  All of the Lithuanian loan players will return to their clubs.  Pressley's wages were eating into that potential profit.  Pressley's contract stipulated that if he played 25 games for Hearts this season then he would have to be offered a one year extension.  He' already played 20 so Hearts decided to get rid.  The papers up here are saying that he might go to Rangers.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

I'd have him here in a heartbeat. He was by all accounts one of the reasons Hearts have over-performed for the past year or so, and seems a genuine bloke who wanted to stand up for his beliefs and his teammates against a lunatic chairman.

Guest Keithy-Boy

Steven Pressley is a good defender, a good leader, an 'honest pro' and would be influencial in the dressing room imo. is he good enough for us? only as a back up until end of the season. He is a an established Scotland international likes and has played vs France and Italy and Ukraine and coped OK. he wouldnt be able to play in Europe tho

he is rumoured to be going to Dundee United to rejoin his former manager Craig Levein tho.

He was on £10,000 a week. which we could afford as a short term signing for FREE . He reads the game and although not the quickest is more than capable of holding our defence together for the next few months and as good back up. I believe if he signed for a non Scottish team he could play right away. He is a lot better than Moore

We are very short on numbers even if its a very short term deal until January it would be a massive help, he gets to play football and be in the shop window and we have more defensive numbers. If he plays really well contract him until the summer.

Just read the part of about him not being available until January so scrap that idea, I would hop in Jan we will be able to bring a better calibre of player here.

Bramble - £1m. OUT.

Distin - £2.5m. Pressley - £0. IN.

We'd be more than covered then. £1.5m on a significant improvement on the defense. Pressley would be a shrewd signing. He'd certainly do until the end of the season, atleast. Expereinced and competent defender going for free, and with our situation, it'd be daft not to have a look at him.

Guest alijmitchell

Must say i think Pressley would be a good signing - not going to set the world alight, but is strong in the tackle, a good leader and has played against some top players (Henry, Shevchenko). Ok the scottish league is crap but we should at least give it a go. Got nowt to lose.

Let me say first of all im absoulutly gutted big Elvis has left the guy was a true legend and will be greatly missed

To answer a couple of questions on this thread:

*Newcastle cant sign him until January 1st

*He was on about 8 grand a week

*He has played at right back before but dosn't have the legs now and is far better in the centre

*He is far better than Craig Moore

*I would love to see him in a Newcastle shirt

*He is a true leader and an inspiration something Newcastle are lacking scince big Al left

*He is quite old now but still has 1/2 good seasons left in him

*Hearts pay decent wages have a couple of players on about 10/12k and Gordon is on 19k but other than us and the old firm pay is pretty gash

I would love to see him sign but dont think it will happen my guess is Southampton or Dundee United

I'd take him over the two useless bairns that we usually stick in the defence.

Harsh. Especially for Taylor... he's finally coming back into his own. And Ramage hasn't played a bad game in his favoured position this season.

Guest alijmitchell

Just read an article in the scottish sun claiming that we're in for Pressley. Seems pretty made up though, a speculative piece based on the fact that we need cover at the back. No quotes from roeder in it either.

Just read an article in the scottish sun claiming that we're in for Pressley. Seems pretty made up though, a speculative piece based on the fact that we need cover at the back. No quotes from roeder in it either.

Sounds like lazy journalism to me.  The press up here were linking him to Dundee Utd based solely on the Levein connection and with no consideration given to the fact that Utd can nowhere near afford his wages.  Anothe case of the Sun putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 518473149554.