Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Seems to me that Rafa has cut his cloth accordingly removing squad players of relegation / championship level quality (in his eyes) eho are also a tad older and replacing them with young lads who may have the potential to get better, who also have experience at top level. No major moves in the market for us yet but he's building a squad slow and steady without spending all that much. If we spend say £40million on two first team players at CM and #9/#10 then overall it's been an acceptable window

Superbly summed up.

As Rafa has already said, this season will be about consolidating ourselves as a PL club and then pushing on next year when we're on the TV deal gravy train properly.

On the other hand it might be political. 'Only going to give me £4m for a right-back? Fuck you then, there's Manquillo'.

I think it could have been if it was another manager but don't think Benitez would be that wasteful. Why waste £4million for no reason other than to spite your boss? That'd ultimately not help you in the long run either. Or was this post said in jest? [emoji38]

Hopefully Rafa will sort him out, no worries here.

Can always sell him back to a Spanish team for a similar fee if it doesn't work out

Don't have a clue what the fee is but we probably won't get a similar fee off a Spanish club if it doesn't work out

All we have got in is a couple of mediocre (at best!) signings and a youngster that supposedly has potential which isn't going to keep us up, we really need to start adding actual quality to our team now otherwise we've just added more average players to a average team.

I believe in Rafa, so all players arrive with a clean slate. Plus he's young and has a point to prove you'd hope.

Its a bit like letting Zabaleta go for nothing and paying 50m for an inferior player

Zabaleta is not better than Walker ffs.

There's a lot to learn defensively at FB. And so much potential to do damage attacking wise. Difficult position. Traditionally a FB would be someone who was a failed winger or CB. Now some of the very best can play CM they're such good all-rounders.

No idea about this lad though. Anita went from good to shocking at times at FB - hope he's an improvement.

I know i don't post much, but this is hands down the most ridiculous thing i've read. At peak Zab is streets ahead of walker.

He's clearly not talking about his peak :lol:

Wtf, Zab was getting old but christ at his peak he was three times the player Walker will ever be  :lol:

Not in 2017 he isn't which is what TCD was arguing and he's right, Zabaleta has been crap for a couple of years.

What he was during his prime is completely irrelevant.

A point everyone is overlooking is we do have genuine quality in our squad.  OK it may not be top 6 quality but if siggurdson is worth £50 then  JJ Shelvey is worth a tidy sum and Ritchie is no slouch. I really don't think we need to completely dismantle our squad  as we do have quality there...we just need to give it a chance..

He must be looked at as more than a mere squad player, i mean we have Sterry if that was the case. I think he'll be pushing for a starting place, Rafa sees something obviously.

It's a punt nothing more - if it comes off great - else - not a massive amount wasted (In new world terms)

I don't think Rafa works like that, he's so meticulous with his buys, and yep he does get it wrong now and again as he's said himself. But nothing more than a punt !  With Rafa's big brain, nah not for me.

Yes Rafa would have done some homework on him, and will have his stats but it's still a punt as he's not proved himself at any level.

Seems to me that Rafa has cut his cloth accordingly removing squad players of relegation / championship level quality (in his eyes) eho are also a tad older and replacing them with young lads who may have the potential to get better, who also have experience at top level. No major moves in the market for us yet but he's building a squad slow and steady without spending all that much. If we spend say £40million on two first team players at CM and #9/#10 then overall it's been an acceptable window

I think Rafa probably enjoys this sort of a challenge as well, probably what he would describe as a 'project'. You wouldn't see Mourinho doing it that's for sure, but Rafa likes being in a football city enough to be patient it seems.

Am I in the twilight zone. Zabaleta has been poor for 2 seasons. Kyle Walker has been considerably better in the last 2 years. Over the next 3 years Walker will be a considerably better player for City than Zab would've been.

I don't even rate Walker that highly. But currently, there's not many a better RB in the division.

Am I in the twilight zone. Zabaleta has been poor for 2 seasons. Kyle Walker has been considerably better in the last 2 years. Over the next 3 years Walker will be a considerably better player for City than Zab would've been.

I don't even rate Walker that highly. But currently, there's not many a better RB in the division.

Zabaleta aged 30-32 vs Walker age 25-27 doesn't feel the most valid comparison (on the wane vs at absolute physical peak). I think they're both great players; but would take a 27 year old Zabaleta every time. What a man.

I believe in Rafa, so all players arrive with a clean slate. Plus he's young and has a point to prove you'd hope.

Its a bit like letting Zabaleta go for nothing and paying 50m for an inferior player

Zabaleta is not better than Walker ffs.

There's a lot to learn defensively at FB. And so much potential to do damage attacking wise. Difficult position. Traditionally a FB would be someone who was a failed winger or CB. Now some of the very best can play CM they're such good all-rounders.

No idea about this lad though. Anita went from good to shocking at times at FB - hope he's an improvement.

I know i don't post much, but this is hands down the most ridiculous thing i've read. At peak Zab is streets ahead of walker.

Hey, hun.

Zabaleta aged 30-32 vs Walker age 25-27 doesn't feel the most valid comparison (on the wane vs at absolute physical peak). I think they're both great players; but would take a 27 year old Zabaleta every time. What a man.

Sadly 27 year old Zabaleta isn't available though.

Guest firetotheworks

Wtf, Zab was getting old but christ at his peak he was three times the player Walker will ever be  :lol:

Not in 2017 he isn't which is what TCD was arguing and he's right, Zabaleta has been crap for a couple of years.

What he was during his prime is completely irrelevant.

nah as a pure bred full back Zab is better, walker's pace bails him out so much, he's fucked in like 3 years

I love that THIS is the thing that provoked a reply from you, like. :lol:

I don't see what Zabaleta has to put him so far ahead of Walker tbh. Even at both player's peaks. Zabaleta was more solid tactically but I think Walker is the better footballer going forward as well as athlete.

He would have to be really s*** to be worse than Anita.

Summed up perfectly.

is it f*** anita was far from our worst player. Just because he's a f***ing new signing.

He's had two seasons on loan to a PL club, liverpool and sunderland, started both seasons in the starting XI and ended both seasons dropped so can't say I'm overwhelmed here.