Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

He's no more than a back up with low risk fee. Can't see how this is a bad move.

Because people keep saying we need to offload a load of shite before bringing quality in. We've released an average player in Anita and brought in a frankly poor player as a replacement. Huge risk, unless he's on a lot less than Anita was.

What if Manquillo turns out to be a better full back than Anita?

No full back has ever improved after the age of 23, eh? Especially ones with loads of experience and a good manager to guide them.

Guest firetotheworks

Shocked at this transfer. Its actually a down grade on Anita.

Hope its a low fee if it is permanent.

Anita was probably one of the worst players to play 50 top flight games for the club, and he wasn't even a right back so I don't know how it can be a downgrade.

Because everything you've just said is nonsense?

Guest reefatoon

He has been on loan in the Premier league. Anita was on a free and ended up at Leeds. I would say Rafa knows what he is doing.

He must be looked at as more than a mere squad player, i mean we have Sterry if that was the case. I think he'll be pushing for a starting place, Rafa sees something obviously.

It's a punt nothing more - if it comes off great - else - not a massive amount wasted (In new world terms)

To quote simply this lad has played high level and at both Madrid teams, then Liverpool, then Marseille and down the road and also has featured in all the Spain youngun squads up until recently, I trust Rafa here. Clearly he wants the succeed at a high level even if it means playing in multiple leagues. Fair play to a 23 year old, some 50 year olds haven't even left home yet round here yet.

He must be looked at as more than a mere squad player, i mean we have Sterry if that was the case. I think he'll be pushing for a starting place, Rafa sees something obviously.

It's a punt nothing more - if it comes off great - else - not a massive amount wasted (In new world terms)

I don't think Rafa works like that, he's so meticulous with his buys, and yep he does get it wrong now and again as he's said himself. But nothing more than a punt !  With Rafa's big brain, nah not for me.

I don't think Rafa works like that, he's so meticulous with his buys, and yep he does get it wrong now and again as he's said himself. But nothing more than a punt !  With Rafa's big brain, nah not for me.

Aye, it's like people haven't listened to the man for the last 12months. He's constantly banging on about watching videos, speaking to coaches/mansgers prior to buying players. He's seem something in him and he will think he can improve him.

Good enough for me. I would not feel like this if pardew or.mclaren were signing him.

Aye, it's like people haven't listened to the man for the last 12months. He's constantly banging on about watching videos, speaking to coaches/mansgers prior to buying players. He's seem something in him and he will think he can improve him.

Good enough for me. I would not feel like this if pardew or.mclaren were signing him.

Aye, although i'm a tad sceptical in thinking Rafa is the almighty as some of his buys for Liverpool turned out cack. But i've no doubt he did his research on them and was convinced they would work out. He said himself a 70/80% hit rate is excellent for a manager.  And if it hits that for us we'll be as happy as you can get.

Seems to me that Rafa has cut his cloth accordingly removing squad players of relegation / championship level quality (in his eyes) eho are also a tad older and replacing them with young lads who may have the potential to get better, who also have experience at top level. No major moves in the market for us yet but he's building a squad slow and steady without spending all that much. If we spend say £40million on two first team players at CM and #9/#10 then overall it's been an acceptable window

Best thing for me about this transfer is that it's clearly a Benitez signing, and while I'm pretty sure he'd rather sign someone better, shows he's happy enough to work within the budget (whatever that might be).

Yeah it certainly feels like the players coming in now are his picks, which makes you feel settled, because as you say he's happy to work within the budget he's been given.