Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Terrible signing. Hard to see what the logic is on this one. It makes not giving Anita another contract look even more stupid.

I'd rather gamble on Manquillo than Anita, who was proven shite in the Prem. Not happy with this signing really but he might have the attributes to be moulded and improved on in the future.

Trust Rafa as per. Hope he is just cover like.

Basically Gamez -10 years, quite shrewd if he's even capable because he can cover either side. Not sure Jesus was ever up to it in the Championship, never mind the Premiership.

I was expecting a lot more of Gamez mind, trust in Rafa's judgement and all that. Maybe he'll come good this season.  :pow:

A young Spanish lad being told how to play in a tactically inept side, via a thick Scottish accent VS being told how to play by a manager with tactical knowhow and in his native language.

Hmm, can't possibly imagine him improving.

Aye.

Rafa will sort him.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, there are plenty of examples of it not being the be all and end all. Just keep an open mind, I can't imagine any of us know a massive amount about him bar maybe VI.

Danny Rose and Marcos Alonso are former Sunderland full-backs too. Something about them becoming decent after they leave.

Of course the difference there is they were both good for Sunderland as well.

This is true and gives me hope.

Full-back is an odd position really. I don't think many saw Ryan Bertrand becoming arguably the best left-back in the league when he was dossing around on loan at Villa at 24.

If a player has an engine, pace, and is solid technically they can be molded into good modern full-backs/wing-backs with the right coaching on a tactical level.