Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Been out on loan a lot lately so maybe he can settle down a bit and improve because of this. If he does well it'll be a great bonus.

The same thing happened with Yedlin.

Gotta trust Rafa on this one, he'll know best what we need.

Full-back is an odd position really. I don't think many saw Ryan Bertrand becoming arguably the best left-back in the league when he was dossing around on loan at Villa at 24.

If a player has an engine, pace, and is solid technically they can be molded into good modern full-backs/wing-backs with the right coaching on a tactical level.

Spot on, especially in a team where they aren't expected to be the main attackers. It's one of the hardest positions to master IMO, especially defensively because the positioning in quite difficult.

A young Spanish lad being told how to play in a tactically inept side, via a thick Scottish accent VS being told how to play by a manager with tactical knowhow and in his native language.

Hmm, can't possibly imagine him improving.

:lol: :thup:

Obviously something there but needs the manager and the games to do so. We're all hoping it's more Clark than lazaar however if it's what Rafa wants and we're signing players, shouldn't we be happy? 2 days ago everyone was fed up with no signings, now two are almost in we're still not happy as we've not got a marquee signing....yet.

Obviously something there but needs the manager and the games to do so. We're all hoping it's more Clark than lazaar however if it's what Rafa wants and we're signing players, shouldn't we be happy? 2 days ago everyone was fed up with no signings, now two are almost in we're still not happy as we've not got a marquee signing....yet.

Doesn't have to be a marquee signing, I'd just be happier with more first team signings as opposed to squad filler.

See a lot of people mentioning Clark and Yedlin and how they proved everyone wrong last season. It's more than a fair point, however it is by no means certain that they along with Manquillo will cut it in the prem.

See a lot of people mentioning Clark and Yedlin and how they proved everyone wrong last season. It's more than a fair point, however it is by no means certain that they along with Manquillo will cut it in the prem.

:thup:

Of course not, but they're good signings aren't they? Can't say much other than that at this point.

Doesn't have to be a marquee signing, I'd just be happier with more first team signings as opposed to squad filler.

Hopefully it'll come.

Someone mentioned having close competition to push two players on, I like that. Given & Harper pushed each other for years, Harper beyond his limited potential and Given to finally take the spot, but any slip up and the competition was right there. Krul had none of that, part of the reason I believe he never realised his potential (along with shite coaching)

Yedlin & Manquillo if signed at the same time last year would be neck and neck, Gamez around for injuries. I'd still like a LB of good quality mind. Gibbs would do that however whenever he would be injured we'd demote to Dummet, that's a big drop and a huge change in style &a continuity .

I believe in Rafa, so all players arrive with a clean slate. Plus he's young and has a point to prove you'd hope.

Its a bit like letting Zabaleta go for nothing and paying 50m for an inferior player

Zabaleta is not better than Walker ffs.

There's a lot to learn defensively at FB. And so much potential to do damage attacking wise. Difficult position. Traditionally a FB would be someone who was a failed winger or CB. Now some of the very best can play CM they're such good all-rounders.

No idea about this lad though. Anita went from good to shocking at times at FB - hope he's an improvement.

Shocked at this transfer. Its actually a down grade on Anita.

Hope its a low fee if it is permanent.

Anita was probably one of the worst players to play 50 top flight games for the club, and he wasn't even a right back so I don't know how it can be a downgrade.

As I said earlier I'm not thrilled with this one but if we are going to take a flyer on someone then the right back spot is the place do that, think Yedlin is fine there, we need bodies to back him up and if Rafa can somehow unlock the potential that many others have seen in him then we will be laughing.

He's no more than a back up with low risk fee. Can't see how this is a bad move.

Because people keep saying we need to offload a load of shite before bringing quality in. We've released an average player in Anita and brought in a frankly poor player as a replacement. Huge risk, unless he's on a lot less than Anita was.

He's no more than a back up with low risk fee. Can't see how this is a bad move.

Because people keep saying we need to offload a load of s**** before bringing quality in. We've released an average player in Anita and brought in a frankly poor player as a replacement. Huge risk, unless he's on a lot less than Anita was.

Rafa wants the deal, we are making it happen. Let Rafa worry about the risk.