Newcastle United 1 - 1 Burnley - 31/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Dave

Didn't realise last night was the referees second ever PL game and first for 2 and a half years. Was it a corner for their goal?

Neesy said a replay showed it was a corner like. Agree with everyone saying that Burnley were minging like, so many snidey little nudges and tugs, Lascelles was doing  his nut to the ref.

Atsu was absolutely rank last night, don't remember him having a game as bad as that. Don't think he beat a man all game.

And every time they did Dyche actually applauded them

Guest firetotheworks

What's he doing to win these free kicks, other than diving?

Backing into players to make it look like he's being jumped on when going for headers, holding onto players to make it look like they're holding onto him, dragging his feet into other players to look like he's been fouled, and generally going down like a sack of shit over nothing. Meanwhile he's standing on players toes, pushing, nudging and all the rest of it. He's basically the new Kevin Davies in that regard, and naturally all the pundits think it's clever, rather than quite obvious cheating.

What's he doing to win these free kicks, other than diving?

Backing into players to make it look like he's being jumped on when going for headers, holding onto players to make it look like they're holding onto him, dragging his feet into other players to look like he's been fouled, and generally going down like a sack of shit over nothing. Meanwhile he's standing on players toes, pushing, nudging and all the rest of it. He's basically the new Kevin Davies in that regard, and naturally all the pundits think it's clever, rather than quite obvious cheating.

I don't know why pundits seem to think it's ok, maybe because it's a more British form of cheating than diving. But it's as annoying as fuck if you're a defender and your team gets conned into conceding a set piece because of it.

As awful as Burnley were to watch yesterday, they have played some genuinely good football at times this season so I wouldn't lump them in with Allardyce/Pulis teams. Yesterday they appeared that way but I reckon it was more a tactical decision based on players missing & the limitations of the players stepping in. Their starting 11 wasn't great and they done what they needed to get a point out of the game, as ugly as it was. And fuck me it was ugly.

On the game itself, we had a few decent balls into dangerous areas yesterday and no one on the end of them. Part of that you can put down to Joselu not really being a natural poacher, but you would like to see the wide players and midfielders making some runs into the penalty area as well. I don't know if this is a tactical thing or we just have attacking players who don't have that hunger.

Guest firetotheworks

As awful as Burnley were to watch yesterday, they have played some genuinely good football at times this season so I wouldn't lump them in with Allardyce/Pulis teams. Yesterday they appeared that way but I reckon it was more a tactical decision based on players missing & the limitations of the players stepping in. Their starting 11 wasn't great and they done what they needed to get a point out of the game, as ugly as it was. And fuck me it was ugly.

Aye, I was saying as much last night. It's easy to forget that Jeff Hendrick finished off one of the best team goals of the season.

They came here for a point like. They only started playing and putting pressure on us after going 1 down. Dropping points due to awful finishing or terrible mistakes has to stop. Hopefully Slimani can come in with some confidence and do the business because we are desperate. Just look at some of the points we've dropped due to either shit finishing, awful individual errors or both.

Southampton (a) 2 points dropped

Burnley (a) 1 point dropped

Bournemouth  (h) 1 point dropped

Everton (h) 1 point dropped

Brighton (h) 2 points dropped

Swansea (h) 2 points dropped

Burnley  (h) 2 points dropped

Bloody BBC didn't show it, but it certainly didn't look a corner on my river. Darlow didn't touch it.

If we are going to be relegated again, I hope its for our own shitness, not for a combination of being one of many shit teams and losing decisions at the margins. Viduka non-goal, Norwich hand ball, etc. etc.

Sure the BBC only showed the 2nd corner that they scored from and not the first that went out for a goal kick as far as I could tell.

Dermot Gallagher didn't review it this morning either on SSN when he did the decisions from last night. He agreed with the ref that Lascelles was pushed (I thought it was soft like).The chance Joselu missed in the 2nd half was easier than scoring a penalty as the keeper was rooted.

Was a poor penalty but at least he had the bottle to take it and other than not being able to hit a barn door had a decent game, won everything in the air, pressed and closed down and grafted his stots off. He just can't score!!

.com seem certain it wasn’t.

Didn’t look a corner from my seat in the Gallowgate and the players were convinced it wasn’t.

That said - we could have defended it better or even scored one of the many chances that we wasted.

They were probably the worst team I’ve seen all season, didn’t even have a single shot in the first half.

Feels like every game in the last 10 or so years he's played against us Aaron Lennon has done well against us, including the two he's played against us this season. We let him win a header in the box this season for Everton ffs.

Just watched the extended highlights. Shit ball by Murphy but Joselu really just needed to put his foot through it. All this tippy-tappy placement stuff is too difficult when your confidence is low: don’t think, just wellie! Oh, and the corner they scored from, definitely should have been a goal kick.

Burnley weren't given an absolutely blatant corner off Murphy earlier on, maybe the ref was making up for that. You can see a bunch of our players put their hands to their heads when the second corner was given, looked like they couldn't believe it.