Sold? Not Yet

ToonTastic

I can't believe how quick some of you are at burying Roeder.      The team is playing with the best commitment its shown in years, even during the Robson years and if it weren't for him everyone would be hoping for Premiership football next season.

I've never felt anything so positive about Newcastle since the days of Keegan.  Perhaps some of you would want a 'top manager' every three months and I think that you should hope that the new buyers install the Hearts chairman to oversee things.

I can't believe the ingratitude shown to the manager.

Agree with U mate.

Guest Kenton Magpie

To be fair Taylor mate, the season isnt over yet, we all know glenn wont get us challeging for the top four or out but while he is here and appears to be turning things around again he has my support

I don't really understand that though. Appearing to be turning things round, whilst accepting that he won't get us anywhere near to the top 4 isn't good enough imo. Not if you're going to have a load of cash behind you.

Who is there good enough to bring in then?

Hitzfield!? who is to say he will want to up sticks to live in Newcastle?

Hold on i know, Pardew, excellent manager  :confused:

Guest Gemmill

To be fair Taylor mate, the season isnt over yet, we all know glenn wont get us challeging for the top four or out but while he is here and appears to be turning things around again he has my support

I don't really understand that though. Appearing to be turning things round, whilst accepting that he won't get us anywhere near to the top 4 isn't good enough imo. Not if you're going to have a load of cash behind you.

Sorry I didn't realise we were restricted to a choice between Pardew or Hitzfeld.  My mistake.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Sorry I didn't realise we were restricted to a choice between Pardew or Hitzfeld. My mistake.

Give me a realistic list mate!

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Alex?  Over-reaction?  Not from me.  I've been with sticking with him from the off though I did have my concerns who was responsible for the turnaround last season; Roeder or Shearer.  But that was it.

When was the last time one saw such vim and vigour as was shown on Wednesday night?  When was the last time we heard of ructions in the dressing room?  Under the Souness and Robson days there would be reports and rumours all the time.

The scouting staff has only just been imported from West Ham United.  Roeder has brought in two good signings; Sibieski and Martins (£10 the pair) which is starting to look as if it's good value.

He may not be a man who has come with a name of being a big manager but the club is going in the right direction after a more than traditional slow start.  I'm seeing more and more positive signs that this club may actually do something in years to come.

And as the wags here have suggested the first trophy, albeit not the European Championship, has been won.  Not going down last season was a start, ending up in Europe via the InterToto was the second step, winning the thing was the third step.

There's 92 teams in the league and only a handful got into Europe.  Newcastle was one of them.  Newcastle have won their UEFA group, one which was described as the group of death and could do well there in Europe.    In the Premiership I understand that there have been some appalling games but losing 1-0 to Chelsea in the manner that they did was no disgrace and drawing at the new Highbury wasn't too shabby neither.  And in the games that were lost there was a lot in there to be seen that was promising.

Look, Newcastle haven't won anything since I were a kid in short trousers; we can wait another year or two if it means getting the club going in the right direction.  And the club is; there's still Premiership football North of the Tees, the club's infrastructure is getting better and better all the time.

And I have been accused of being "f*****g mental". 

Of course one could have success the Chelsea way or the Blackburn way.  Buy the title.  But I would rather that any success would be gained from building up a solid foundation and taking it a step at a time.  And until Roeder came along any steps weren't going forward, they looked like those of a pedestrian arcade drunk clutching a can of Special Brew.

People here have commented what would happen to Chelsea if the Russian took his money away; the same that happened to Blackburn. 

Guest Gemmill

Sorry I didn't realise we were restricted to a choice between Pardew or Hitzfeld. My mistake.

No because my initial point was a general one as follows - if this lot have the sort of clout where we don't have to just make do with a mediocre manager (and I'm sorry, but that's what Roeder is), we would be stupid to persevere with one because he may or may not steady the ship.  If we accept that he isn't good enough to get us back challenging further up the league then I really don't understand the willingness to stick with him.  I'm not saying sack him on the spot, but in the medium term his days should be numbered imo.

Guest Gemmill

Alex?  Over-reaction?  Not from me.   I've been with sticking with him from the off though I did have my concerns who was responsible for the turnaround last season; Roeder or Shearer.   But that was it.

When was the last time one saw such vim and vigour as was shown on Wednesday night?   When was the last time we heard of ructions in the dressing room?   Under the Souness and Robson days there would be reports and rumours all the time.

The scouting staff has only just been imported from West Ham United.   Roeder has brought in two good signings; Sibieski and Martins (£10 the pair) which is starting to look as if it's good value.

He may not be a man who has come with a name of being a big manager but the club is going in the right direction after a more than traditional slow start.  I'm seeing more and more positive signs that this club may actually do something in years to come.

And as the wags here have suggested the first trophy, albeit not the European Championship, has been won.  Not going down last season was a start, ending up in Europe via the InterToto was the second step, winning the thing was the third step.

There's 92 teams in the league and only a handful got into Europe.  Newcastle was one of them.  Newcastle have won their UEFA group, one which was described as the group of death and could do well there in Europe.     In the Premiership I understand that there have been some appalling games but losing 1-0 to Chelsea in the manner that they did was no disgrace and drawing at the new Highbury wasn't too shabby neither.  And in the games that were lost there was a lot in there to be seen that was promising.

Look, Newcastle haven't won anything since I were a kid in short trousers; we can wait another year or two if it means getting the club going in the right direction.  And the club is; there's still Premiership football North of the Tees, the club's infrastructure is getting better and better all the time.

And I have been accused of being "f*****g mental". 

Of course one could have success the Chelsea way or the Blackburn way.  Buy the title.  But I would rather that any success would be gained from building up a solid foundation and taking it a step at a time.  And until Roeder came along any steps weren't going forward, they looked like those of a pedestrian arcade drunk clutching a can of Special Brew.

People here have commented what would happen to Chelsea if the Russian took his money away; the same that happened to Blackburn. 

You're counting the intertoto cup as our first trophy? :shock:  Do me a favour.

No because my initial point was a general one as follows - if this lot have the sort of clout where we don't have to just make do with a mediocre manager (and I'm sorry, but that's what Roeder is), we would be stupid to persevere with one because he may or may not steady the ship. If we accept that he isn't good enough to get us back challenging further up the league then I really don't understand the willingness to stick with him. I'm not saying sack him on the spot, but in the medium term his days should be numbered imo.

Common sense - nice to see someone take off the tinted specs!

Guest Kenton Magpie

No because my initial point was a general one as follows - if this lot have the sort of clout where we don't have to just make do with a mediocre manager (and I'm sorry, but that's what Roeder is), we would be stupid to persevere with one because he may or may not steady the ship. If we accept that he isn't good enough to get us back challenging further up the league then I really don't understand the willingness to stick with him. I'm not saying sack him on the spot, but in the medium term his days should be numbered imo.

We all know he isnt the right man for the job, but unless a decent and realistic managerial target becomes availiable i don't see the point in not sticking with him, we had a terrible start to the season and i know we arent out of the mire yet but over the past weeks Glenn deserves alot of credit for the way he has shown some sort of way forward under the current circumstances!

The wording of the report, albeit paper-talk, suggests that Roeder will be here till the end of the season.

What most people would have reasonably given him anyway.

Best time to install a new manager is the summer, line him up nearing the end of the season so he has time to think about players he wants in and/or out.

Organised, methodical, sensible.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Gemmill, like I said.  It's not the biggest trophy but it's one and it's a step in the right direction.

You would be preferring to play Leeds and Birmingham this season?  I wouldn't.

Guest Gemmill

We all know he isnt the right man for the job, but unless a decent and realistic managerial target becomes availiable i don't see the point in not sticking with him, we had a terrible start to the season and i know we arent out of the mire yet but over the past weeks Glenn deserves alot of credit for the way he has shown some sort of way forward under the current circumstances!

I'm all for him keeping his job til the end of the season, but like I say, medium term he has to go.  Any credit he deserves for the current run of results is heavily tempered by the criticism he deserves for the transfer window debacle and the start we had to the season.  To turn things around, you first have to fuck them up.

Roeder has done very well in imo. We havn`t been thrashed this season by any team, where we have lost points it has been down to a defensive error or having no one on the pitch who can score.

I fail to see how this season could be blamed on Roeder. The team has picked itself most of the year. We have also done well in Europe and cups. He has made sensible decisions on when to bring players back regardless of the pressure he has been under. We even came back from conceeding which you don`t usually associate with us.

Alex?  Over-reaction?  Not from me.   

To have never been so positive since the Keegan days seemed liked an overreaction to me. I was far more positive at various times under Robson and even when Daglish first arrived (although that was admittedly misplaced). That's all. I think Roeder's alright but I'm not particularly positive about the future. He's done well of late though.

Polygon are a hedge fund (IIRC), but when they were looking at the toon before i dont think they had a heavy backer like UBS.

If reports are true, they've wiped off £87m worth of debt when buying the club, so even if they fail, we've just been given £87m plus whatever they allow GR to spend in the winter window, and there after.

I think anyone is better than what we've got right now, i just hope even the most hardened FS fans will be impressed by the new lot coming in, and we all enjoy success together, finally.

they always had the UBS backing as far as i remember.

I don't recall hearing that, and I'm pretty sure I would've remembered. You don't forget UBS :D Any idea where you think you heard it?

cant remember the exact source, but recall that when polygon were initially mentioned, it was said that UBS were financing the deal. quick search on the forum showed UBS+ Polygon mentioned together in June.

also found this in the Independent http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20060620/ai_n16488373

That one must've gone right over my head.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Sky Sports news reporting that the storys aren't true....

I heard that, egg on your face time for those going over the top!?

Guest GuyRobson

Sky Sports News just has brief feature on the supposed takeover.

Were saying "sources deep inside Newcastle are saying the rumours are NOT true" and that because Shepherd has not informed the Stock Exchange of the official bid that immediately shows that the takeover is false.

:(