Toon line up top targets

Guest smoggeordie

LB - Anyone. Maybe Baines or Maxwell from Inter.

CB - Medium to old age. We've got talent, now we need someone to teach them. Zat Knight, Woody, Koffour, etc...

ST - Young talent, under 21

RB - Owomoyela from Werder. If theres a position where we can take a chance on a foreigner, this is it IMO.

Obviously LB and CB is where we need to spend big money.

Neither experianced nor good. I don't want to see him in our black and white, he's just lanky in my honest opinion.

CB - Medium to old age. We've got talent, now we need someone to teach them. Zat Knight, Woody, Koffour, etc...

RB - Owomoyela from Werder. If theres a position where we can take a chance on a foreigner, this is it IMO.

so how much do you think we have ?

come in Baggio.......or macbeth or his monkey

Is anybody there  :lol:

I understand a strikers were a priority and said this throughout the summer, fact is as Roeder has admitted we did also target defenders but due to POOR planning we left it till the last minute and missed out.

How anyone can be so stupid to not see this! Honestly but carry on talking about how it wasnt down to poor planning and using other clubs failing as some sort of excuse! Charlton was one of the examples and they are looking certain for relegation, does that mean if we go the same way its not really the board or managements fault because someone else done it too?

laughable, tell you what this thread and the excuses have made a boring day at work so far a lot more interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well as you missed the point so much you can have even more fun re-reading it and trying to work it out properly, your tardness.  bluebigrazz.gif

What point am I missing? Did we or did we not try and sign defenders on the last day of the transfer window? Is this not a sign of bad planning or did we spend the WHOLE of the transfer window trying to sign Martins and Duff? Why were we still scouting Kuyt when we were if we had planned so effectively?

The point being that no amount of planning can ensure 100% that a deal will go through. I illustrated the risky nature of the whole transfer game in a previous post to highlight the gambles that have to be taken. I cant be arsed to do the same with Bridge.

Comparisons to other clubs are to further illustrate that without unlimited funds it is difficult to get right. Boro spent the whole transfer window sorting Huth out, fat lot of good that did them.

I also used a massive business that dwarfs NUFC 100s of times over to illustrate that the word 'planning' isnt a key one when brokering deals between competitors. I forgive those who do not work at the sharp end of a big business for not understanding this but felt it needed pointing out. Negotiations have strategies, not Project maps in MS Access. When your strategy doesnt work, you look like a twat but thats business. 

Guest Gemmill

I forgive those who do not work at the sharp end of a big business for not understanding this but felt it needed pointing out.

:lol: I was just about to beg for it too.  bluebigrazz.gif

I forgive those who do not work at the sharp end of a big business for not understanding this but felt it needed pointing out.

I would have made you beg too if i'd been in a different mood. You're lucky its christmas  :lol:

Just helping people THINK it through...

Guest Gemmill

I would have made you beg too if i'd been in a different mood. You're lucky its christmas  :lol:

Just helping people THINK it through...

I've thought about it plenty, thanks.  bluebigrazz.gif

Well considering Roeder has said Knight and Huth were our targets im pretty sure we could have done a deal for them long before the last day. Also as they are confirmed targets and we didn't think Campbell was what we needed then it shows our transfer plans/targets were a bit shit (to put it nicely).

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its f***ing naive not to understand this.   

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

Mindful of the financial position - after all money is money, is it beyond the realms of an accountant to comprehend that they were trying to knock the fee down ? Now you slate them for not paying the full price, while knowing you would have still slagged them off if they had done ?

They did well knocking the fee down didn't they?  And after all we've got a history of knocking fees down, haven't we?  Oh wait, no we haven't, you're talking shit again.

I expected you to dodge a straight reply. If as you say - we always pay over the odds, which is shite anyway - what is wrong with them trying to knock the fee down.

As usual, "damned if they do damned if they don't" with the heads in the sand brigade who think a knight in shining armour is waiting around the corner to supply the club with unlimited funds and win loads of trophies but cannot tell us who this person is.

You do understand the concept of spending your budget I take it ? Even that was money that was a risky spend, your chum Baggio will tell you how we should have really spent nothing, never mind paying the full price for a centre half when we had lost 3 forwards, so you should have a word with him.

Don't talk to me about dodging replies.  You don't dodge them as such, you just quote the post you're "replying to" then list things like 5th best in the premiership, England internationals, etc. etc.  You reply to every post with the same answer.

Your defence of Shepherd is increasingly pathetic.  You are a joke on here and on Toontastic.  It's only you that can't see it.  bluebigrazz.gif

5th best over a decade is a reply. It is a reply that tells people such a thing isn't shit. It should also tell you that it is far from mediocre.

If you can't accept this and think we have a divine right to be higher you have a problem. The ironic thing is, when Fred comes out and says the same sort of thing that you and your chums do, you slate him for talking shite and embarrassing you, but you embarrass yourself by spouting such rubbish. You have seen manu fans and other such idiots saying that Newcastle fans think they are a big club and they have won nothing since the 1950's? It is comments by the likes of you that they are talking about.

I am not defending anyone, I am stating facts. If you can't acknowledge that being the 5th most consistent qualifier for europe over a span of a decade makes us a long way detached from mediocre, then it is you that is pathetic. And quite a lot of your chums on toontastic are a joke to me, especially the ones who are totally unrealistic and the "anyone but Fred" arseholes, unable to grasp facts, have nothing to say, and no mind of their own.

Fantastically stupid of anyone to suggest they would swap places with Bolton ...... haha ......... you find any Bolton supporter who wouldn't swap places with us. Brilliantly stupid.  :lol:

I haven't even mentioned Bolton.  Anywhere.  I have no f***ing idea what you're talking about.  Are you replying to the voices in your head, you silly old sod. :lol:

Cheers for the stock reply though - I've heard it all before.  Apart from the Bolton bit though, that was a bit special. :lol:

one of your chums mentioned Bolton. As most of you seem to mimic each other and don't have a mind of your own, apart from Alex sometimes, I thought I would mention it but didn't say it was you anyway. It would appear that you and Baggio have plenty to talk about, you say the club should spend money, he says they shouldn't, he's jealous of Bolton despite us doing better than them, and you think such a thing is funny [which I agree with apart from Allardyce who I still think would have been a good bet for us].

The stock answer of factual information is fine. Even the stupidest of people will believe factual information eventually. Maybe.

:lol: I'll take that as a (back-handed) compliment  bluewink.gif

Well considering Roeder has said Knight and Huth were our targets im pretty sure we could have done a deal for them long before the last day. Also as they are confirmed targets and we didn't think Campbell was what we needed then it shows our transfer plans/targets were a bit shit (to put it nicely).

Well i for one look forward to this magical tranfer window where all that needs to be done is

1 State the name of the player

2 Find the cash

3 Agree personal terms

Should be blinding.

Gemmill, you didnt think that you had to do anything other than plan properly to get the transfer market right. I disagree, i think there is a lot of luck involved, you need to have some balls to get the big deals right and you need to know your opponent.

As a poker player you should be able to see that  bluebigrazz.gif.

Guest Gemmill

Gemmill, you didnt think that you had to do anything other than plan properly to get the transfer market right.

Errrr yeah, that's what I thought.  :roll:

Actually, I think you need to plan to give yourself a chance of being successful in the transfer window.  Obviously there are still things that can go wrong, but by planning you attempt to mitigate the risk of these events occuring.  We failed to plan and so we left ourselves wide open to the fuck ups that ensued.

Now stop playing Mr. Big Businessman ffs.  bluebigrazz.gif

Gemmill, you didnt think that you had to do anything other than plan properly to get the transfer market right.

Actually, I think you need to plan to give yourself a chance of being successful in the transfer window.  Obviously there are still things that can go wrong, but by planning you attempt to mitigate the risk of these events occuring.  We failed to plan and so we left ourselves wide open to the fuck ups that ensued.

How many back up plans would you need to ensure you never fucked up? So, just in case we dont get Huth, we'll go for Campbell and just in case we dont get him we'll go for Knight, then Woodgate, then ... ad infinitum untill you've been through every single fucking permutation?

How many back up plans would you need to ensure you never fucked up? So, just in case we dont get Huth, we'll go for Campbell and just in case we dont get him we'll go for Knight, then Woodgate, then ... ad infinitum untill you've been through every single fucking permutation?

Players were clearly available though! Huth nearly joined the smogs earlier in the window but that fell through due to a medical, why didnt we go for him then?

Im sorry, I agree there is bad luck and good luck involved sometimes but when there are players clearly available and we don't manage to sign one and fail with last minutes bids this all points to bad planning.

Guest Gemmill

Just the one plan would have done like.  I probably would have implemented it some time around when it was splashed all over the press that Boro were on the verge of signing Huth, maybe before.  I doubt I would have waited much longer than that.  I assume that if your company was planning one of its deals and it got wind that a competitor was moving in on the target, that you would up your game?  Or would you wait until an hour before they went to the stock exchange with it to make your move?

how do you know they didn't, thats exactly what he is pointing out ?

And - what fuck ups are you talking about, you still aren't insisting we should have spent our big money on a defender instead of Martins I hope ? I'm sure Luque and Ameobi would have scored loads of goals  :lol:

Never mind Gem, we won't mention the fact the club knew they would be without Owen for all of the season so didn't bother planning to replace him and bought defenders instead ........

Guest Gemmill

And - what fuck ups are you talking about, you still aren't insisting we should have spent our big money on a defender instead of Martins I hope ? I'm sure Luque and Ameobi would have scored loads of goals  :lol:

Never mind Gem, we won't mention the fact the club knew they would be without Owen for all of the season so didn't bother planning to replace him and bought defenders instead ........

No Leazes, the argument you had about defenders instead of Martins was with Dan.  You see, you should try to remember who you have these disputes with instead of attributing every opinion you hear on here to whoever you're arguing with at that time.  You've tried it twice now with me in this thread - first a random reference to Bolton and now this wittering about Martins.  You really are a silly old man.

The fuck-ups I'm referring to are as follows:

- Scouting Kuyt all summer only for him to reveal on the last failed scouting trip in his post-match interview that he was all but signed for Liverpool.

- A failed bid for Huth as he was about to sit at his Press Conference at Boro

- A failed bid for Zat Knight, having realised that Roeder's number one target all summer had gone to Boro, despite having been freely available all transfer window

- A failed bid for Mark Viduka (embarrassingly enough this bid was actually turned down at Huth's press conference by Keith Lamb.  Oh dear.  At the time poor James Milner was already at Villa about to sign for them and we had to tell him to come home - seems we forgot to enquire as to Viduka's availability before we packed Milner off to Villa.  Planning.  Heard of it?)

- The aforementioned Milner debacle

- The signing of Bernard and the subsequent "I can't believe how skinny he is!" comments.  Didn't bother to meet with him before we signed him then Glenn?  Clever.  Planning.  Heard of it?

No doubt all of the above is fine and is just part of the rich fabric of the football world in your view.  You're still a joke btw.  :thup:

Neither experianced nor good. I don't want to see him in our black and white, he's just lanky in my honest opinion.

Agreed, he's shite. Much as we need defenders, missing out on him was a Godsend imo.

Anyway I am tired of you and your mates' double standards and general "damned if they do damned if they don't" idiocy. Stop buying quality players and don't complain when you see true mediocrity as a result, if that is what you want.

Or keep buying them and watch them sold off on the cheap a la Leeds, would you prefer us to go that way as long as we keep spending money?

As for your "deluded as ever" comment, I put that down to you not being able to answer the question properly. All the talk of a possible buy out would include paying off or huge debts, of course they will want something in return but the only way to make money in football is for the club to be successful.

how do you think the club will be successful without spending money

There are 2 options.

The first one would be for them to invest their own money into the club to give us that lift up into the CL places, from then on with the the extra income they can operate at a break even policy where they only spend what the club has made through profit.

The second option would be to get a decent managerial set up installed similar to what Bolton have got and move the club forward from there.

Bolton eh ?

Who is in europe and who isn't ?

Who has qualified the most for europe in the past decade ?

Do Bolton fill or almost fill their own smaller capacity stadium ?

How many other clubs can you name that you think we should model ourselves on ?

You're a joke mate, and clueless, full of fancy idealistic ideas just like some of your chums on toontastic

You really believe that a fairy godmother Abramovic is out there waiting to take over Newcastle don't you .... haha... unbelievable.

What has following a similar business structure to Bolton or Spurs got to do with whether Bolton sell out their stadium?! :lol:

£87 million of debt and Leazes thinks Shepherd is doing a good job because we qualify for Europe! :lol:

Peter Ridsdale got Leeds into the CL semi final, spent £18 million on a much needed CB, that must make him an excellent chairman in you book Leazes, all that ambition :lol:

Fantastically stupid of anyone to suggest they would swap places with Bolton ...... haha ......... you find any Bolton supporter who wouldn't swap places with us. Brilliantly stupid.  :lol:

Where has anyone said they would swap places with Bolton?! :lol:

Stop putting words in people's mouths you complete and utter fucking spastic.

I see centre-back as the major priority (especially as Bramble and Moore are out of contract in the summer and we are already a centre-back short imo). Then I would say 2 fullbacks and a striker are what we need.

Centre-Back? Surely a left back is first? Then, given resources, some choices have to be made. We can probably only afford another good defender or another good attacker. On our current defensive record, i would go for the attacker.

It's a tough one I agree. Left-back is an area we really need to strengthen too. Perhaps if Bramble gets an extension and he is the number 3/4 choice at centre-back depending on how good Huntingdon turns out to be then I'd be relatively happy about us in the middle (short-term anyway). Even then we'd still be short of cover there.

We are even shorter of cover for Martins than at the back.

Well, do we risk getting a stop-gap striker in and hope Martins and Le Sib stay fit or do we buy another expensive striker and then have an embarrassment of riches (relatively speaking) when Owen and Shola are fit? I don't know the answer btw ;)

No Leazes, the argument you had about defenders instead of Martins was with Dan.  You see, you should try to remember who you have these disputes with instead of attributing every opinion you hear on here to whoever you're arguing with at that time.  You've tried it twice now with me in this thread - first a random reference to Bolton and now this wittering about Martins.  You really are a silly old man.

- Scouting Kuyt all summer only for him to reveal on the last failed scouting trip in his post-match interview that he was all but signed for Liverpool.

- A failed bid for Zat Knight, having realised that Roeder's number one target all summer had gone to Boro, despite having been freely available all transfer window

- A failed bid for Mark Viduka (embarrassingly enough this bid was actually turned down at Huth's press conference by Keith Lamb.  Oh dear.  At the time poor James Milner was already at Villa about to sign for them and we had to tell him to come home - seems we forgot to enquire as to Viduka's availability before we packed Milner off to Villa.  Planning.  Heard of it?)

- The signing of Bernard and the subsequent "I can't believe how skinny he is!" comments.  Didn't bother to meet with him before we signed him then Glenn?  Clever.  Planning.  Heard of it?

No doubt all of the above is fine and is just part of the rich fabric of the football world in your view.  You're still a joke btw.  :thup:

and tbh, i never said any of those things either.

not like leazes to put words in people's mouths is it?

My cousins girlfriend operates the Newcastle United fax machine, and provided me with some info:

There is a list of players who have agreed to sign for the club on principal, but will only join as long as other players we have promised to buy also agree to sign. We have therefore faxed a list of phone numbers to all of these players so that they can ring each other up and confirm that they are signing for Newcastle.

My cousin has interrogated his girlfriend (who knows nothing about football - requirement of the job apparently) and discovered that the following players are on the list:

Raul

Klose

Shaun Wright Phillips

Joey Barton

Leighton Baines

Micah Richards

Zat Knight

Sylvain Distin

Juan Pablo Sorin

Miguel

whos Leazes ?

Anyway, the difference about defenders and attackers isn't just with Dan, its also with others including you now  :lol:

As for kuyt, ,,.......err we got Duff, they got Kuyt, i hope Liverpool supporters aren't criticising their club for lack of planning to get Duff --you see Gem, not everyone gets their targets, as is pointed out, it is absolute naivety to suggest otherwise. Having qualified for europe more than any other club bar 4 over a span of a decade, this tells you most of our "plans" work out how we hope.

Most of the players currently playing for Newcastle United were brought in by managers who targetted them and wanted them, but you can carry on making things up if you want to continue being a joke - along with your daft chums - among people who know what they are talking about and don't have a "damned if they do damned if they don't" agenda, like you and your daft chums.

I don't remember anywhere saying Zat knight was Roeders first choice transfer target, but I do remember a lot of groundwork being laid for Martins. But as I said, keep making things up and I will continue laughing when you do.

The Milner "deal" was nothing, that is football. No doubt if we had continued allowing him to leave after the deal for Viduka had collapsed you would be slating the club for allowing him to complete the deal in view of the fact we had a small squad already.

The small squad which is due to the fact that we backed teh manager you said should be given a shitload of cash to build his own team, except I don't find that funny in the slightest.

The signing of Huth has been discussed. We correctly spent our money elsewhere. As has been pointed out by a few other people, where would we be without the goals of Martins and Sibierski ? And now Zoggy is injured, Duff will play more - not that expecting a young lad like Zoggy to play 50 games a season justified the purchase of an older more experienced player with his best years in front of him, which is of course "lack of planning"

Keep the cliches coming though.

Where has anyone said they would swap places with Bolton?! :lol:

Stop putting words in people's mouths you complete and utter fucking spastic.

ditto, you complete and utter fucking spastic  :lol: