Toon line up top targets

Guest smoggeordie

Zdenek Grygera is going to leave ajax this season (in the summer at the latest). from what i have seen of him he's a really good player. But it seems like he's on his way to Italy. But worth a try. His contract ends in the summer and he has already stated that he wont sign a new. Would be good value for money.

I would also go for Robert Kovac. One other cheap option i believe. Leftback i dont know really..

This would give us experienced players with quality for a low price i believe...

Grygera  Kovac  Taylor  ??????  (maybe jankulovksi but i dont think he's available atm)

Anyway I am tired of you and your mates' double standards and general "damned if they do damned if they don't" idiocy. Stop buying quality players and don't complain when you see true mediocrity as a result, if that is what you want.

Or keep buying them and watch them sold off on the cheap a la Leeds, would you prefer us to go that way as long as we keep spending money?

As for your "deluded as ever" comment, I put that down to you not being able to answer the question properly. All the talk of a possible buy out would include paying off or huge debts, of course they will want something in return but the only way to make money in football is for the club to be successful.

how do you think the club will be successful without spending money

There are 2 options.

The first one would be for them to invest their own money into the club to give us that lift up into the CL places, from then on with the the extra income they can operate at a break even policy where they only spend what the club has made through profit.

The second option would be to get a decent managerial set up installed similar to what Bolton have got and move the club forward from there.

Bolton eh ?

Who is in europe and who isn't ?

Who has qualified the most for europe in the past decade ?

Do Bolton fill or almost fill their own smaller capacity stadium ?

How many other clubs can you name that you think we should model ourselves on ?

You're a joke mate, and clueless, full of fancy idealistic ideas just like some of your chums on toontastic

You really believe that a fairy godmother Abramovic is out there waiting to take over Newcastle don't you .... haha... unbelievable.

Not going to comment on the fact that with at least 2 failed bids on the last day of the transfer window we obviously had the money for defenders but f*cked up due to poor planning NE5? Also not going for free's like Campbell, Trabelsi...

How do you know we didn't go for Campbell?

Roeder came out publically and said he didn't want Campbell because he hadn't played enough games in the last couple of seasons tbh.

Aye that was a pretty clear sign to me, thought it might have been to others aswell but I often forget who im talking to on here!

Eh? WTF are you on about now? Jesus. You must be one really dumb person.

If you don't understand it I think you need to be looking closer to home for the dumb person.

The fact we had failed bids on the last day of the season for defenders suggests bad planning does it not? Or was being left with 6 defenders the plan all along?

or how may forwards ?

Why does Baggio ignore this, having rattled on about the club and debts, surely he can explain to you how the club should put finance first and buy nobody ?

Anyway I am tired of you and your mates' double standards and general "damned if they do damned if they don't" idiocy. Stop buying quality players and don't complain when you see true mediocrity as a result, if that is what you want.

Or keep buying them and watch them sold off on the cheap a la Leeds, would you prefer us to go that way as long as we keep spending money?

As for your "deluded as ever" comment, I put that down to you not being able to answer the question properly. All the talk of a possible buy out would include paying off or huge debts, of course they will want something in return but the only way to make money in football is for the club to be successful.

how do you think the club will be successful without spending money

There are 2 options.

The first one would be for them to invest their own money into the club to give us that lift up into the CL places, from then on with the the extra income they can operate at a break even policy where they only spend what the club has made through profit.

The second option would be to get a decent managerial set up installed similar to what Bolton have got and move the club forward from there.

Have Bolton not spent any money? What have they won?

They've bought Anelka this season but he was there only real big money signing.

Bolton haven't won anything, having said that they didn't have to go into £87 million of debt just to win the Intertoto cup.

With our higher financial turnover would be on a much higher level than Bolton, maybe the ways Spurs is run would be a better example.

And how many times have Spurs qualified for europe in the past decade ?

:lol:

Not going to comment on the fact that with at least 2 failed bids on the last day of the transfer window we obviously had the money for defenders but f*cked up due to poor planning NE5? Also not going for free's like Campbell, Trabelsi...

Roeder came out publically and said he didn't want Campbell because he hadn't played enough games in the last couple of seasons tbh.

Aye that was a pretty clear sign to me, thought it might have been to others aswell but I often forget who im talking to on here!

If you don't understand it I think you need to be looking closer to home for the dumb person.

The fact we had failed bids on the last day of the season for defenders suggests bad planning does it not? Or was being left with 6 defenders the plan all along?

No.

:lol: how does it not? We obviously knew we needed the players otherwise we wouldnt have bid so how does leaving it too late not make it a bad plan?

If I had some money to buy a relative an xmas present but failed to get it because i left it till the 24th December would the excuse "Well I did plan to buy it" go down too well?  :lol:

Some people have the nerve to call others idiots!  :lol: :lol:

I see Charltons "plan" is going well, as is Blackburn, Man City, Fulham, West Ham, Watford  to name a few, and the smoggies under the great Steve Gibson. Fancy appointing managers with no experience or no track record eh  :lol:

No.

:lol: how does it not? We obviously knew we needed the players otherwise we wouldnt have bid so how does leaving it too late not make it a bad plan?

If I had some money to buy a relative an xmas present but failed to get it because i left it till the 24th December would the excuse "Well I did plan to buy it" go down too well?  :lol:

Some people have the nerve to call others idiots!  :lol: :lol:

You're complaining that the club didn't sign a player you wanted the club to sign but who the club didn't want to sign. Any failed bids during the transfer window were for players the club did want. Not all transfers come off, or do you think they do? 

Understand?

It was an example of a player we more than had the funding to bring in which would have improved the defence. The reason the example was given is because NE5 tried to make out we used all our resources on signing attacking players which were of more importance therefore didn't get defenders, which quite obviously and as usual a huge pile of shite!

Understand?

The point is that the forwards were the priority, and he targetted his budget - correctly - on forwards/strikers. Understand ? Actually you don't do you. As usual you haven't a clue. How many goals do you think we would have scored today if he hadn't brought in Martins and Sibierski ?

It must really fcuk these "damned if they do damned if they don't" people who castigated Roeder for "wasting" the summer budget to see the 2 forward players he brought in start to justify their fees  :lol:

Whats more, I'm right. I said so at the time, and sticking to my guns, and its you who is talking shite. As usual.

I'm disappointed that the club didn't pick up Bridge...  and, in retrospect, not trying to sign Campbell is an obvious blunder.

However, I am also happy about the deals Roeder DID NOT make -- the type of deal that Souness made when he bought Boumsong. He could of got desperate and thrown money  away.

Roeder should have picked up a defender or two. But the money he did spend, he spent wisely. Think he'll do well in January as well.

I hope he does aswell. Ok he didn't spend money stupidly but that doesn't make his poor planning any better.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

I think we should "plan" to buy Rooney or Ronaldhino next summer and if we don't then its obviously "bad planning"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm disappointed that the club didn't pick up Bridge...  and, in retrospect, not trying to sign Campbell is an obvious blunder.

However, I am also happy about the deals Roeder DID NOT make -- the type of deal that Souness made when he bought Boumsong. He could of got desperate and thrown money  away.

Roeder should have picked up a defender or two. But the money he did spend, he spent wisely. Think he'll do well in January as well.

I hope he does aswell. Ok he didn't spend money stupidly but that doesn't make his poor planning any better.

Agreed. Some poor planning. (Should not relied on the Cole deal going through). Should've bought Campbell.

But he brought some speed to the team-- which we desperately needed and need. And that has benefitted the entire team-- Emre's better.

Le Sib brings some height. I'll bet Roeder brings in some height more in the transfer.

I am very happy with Martins and Sibierski so kudos to him for that, fact is how anyone can defend the planning of the summer transfer window completely is beyond me. We failed to get in players that would help us push on and as a result we have struggled to stay out of the relegation zone so far.

There was no money left. Baggio will explain this concept to you.

As will macbeth and his monkey, although I don't expect the former to re-appear until the team loses a few games.

In all honesty I can't be arsed to debate this anymore.

The last minute attempts to sign Huth, Viduka and Knight tell me everything I need to know.

If Knight was someone we were looking to sign rather than an "alternative" like Sol Campbell then yes we should sign these alternatives before ending up with shite like that or in our case fuck all.

If you honestly think it takes the whole summer to sign one defender and a failure to do so isn't down to bad planning then i'm at a loss with how you view "planning" anyway.

Night HTL, also obviously hasn't come to your attention (right) but as I know you will read this thread this is also another thread in GC that you have missed (wonder why) regarding ID cards or something...  bluewink.gif

Baggio will explain the concept of not taking any more risks with transfers. As will macbeth and his monkey, although I don't expect the former to re-appear until the team have lost a few games.

I am very happy with Martins and Sibierski so kudos to him for that, fact is how anyone can defend the planning of the summer transfer window completely is beyond me. We failed to get in players that would help us push on and as a result we have struggled to stay out of the relegation zone so far.

I'm not sure any one is defending the "planning". 

I am defending the end result, which has not been nearly as bad as some claim. I thought it was an absolute disaster at the time. I've revised my opinion. 

* I'm happy we did not sign Huth or Knight. Or spend stupid money for some SPL player.

* Martins is a great buy.

* Trust that Duff will prove to be a great signing.

* Delighted and surprised with Sibierski.

I can't speak for others, but  I think the argument that we really don't know all the facts and we can't put everything down to poor planning is valid. Money could well have been a key issue.

I think that Roeder expected to buy Bridge. Maybe he had no backup plan, I don't know. But I'm glad he didn't spend stupid money to bring in Knight or Huth.

far to sensible and realistic a post for some people.

People are too critical of roeder and the club in regard to transfers. Frankly, if we hadn't brought it Martins or Sibi we would have been in the relegation spots right now. It's all very well having a good defense but if you can't score goals then you won't win matches. It would have been good to get a couple of defenders in the summer but at least the club got their top priority correct - adding to the attack.

People are too critical of roeder and the club in regard to transfers. Frankly, if we hadn't brought it Martins or Sibi we would have been in the relegation spots right now. It's all very well having a good defense but if you can't score goals then you won't win matches. It would have been good to get a couple of defenders in the summer but at least the club got their top priority correct - adding to the attack.

Spot on.

the priority was attack, and still is.

Unbelievable that having lost Shearer, Bellamy and Owen in the last 18 months or so, replaced by Martins and Sibierski, and people said we needed defenders more.

I still think he is a quality player, Leazes, despite him being utterly dismal for us to present. I just think spending a third of the eventual budget on left-wing was daft. N'Zogbia, though young, had a breakthrough season last year, even under Souness, leading to the likes of Arsenal being linked with his signing. I don't think we needed to upset that progression with a third of our spending power.

I think we bought him because he was cheap, not because we needed him. That £5m would have been better spent on the defence.

You disagree I know, so I won't argue.

I still think he is a quality player, Leazes, despite him being utterly dismal for us to present. I just think spending a third of the eventual budget on left-wing was daft. N'Zogbia, though young, had a breakthrough season last year, even under Souness, leading to the likes of Arsenal being linked with his signing. I don't think we needed to upset that progression with a third of our spending power.

I think we bought him because he was cheap, not because we needed him. That £5m would have been better spent on the defence.

I'd also like to know how buying Duff who has been poor so far when we had Zoggy on top form last season instead of getting 1/2 defenders was "good planning"? I thought it was only Freddy and Roeder who didn't realize that we needed defenders, it seems now you can add NE5 and HTL to that dumb list.

left back, centre back, striker, right back.

In that order.

We have NO left back worthy of a premiership place. We only have ONE CB of note. We have one fit striker who is good enough, and only one unfit one who is. And our best right back is a rapidly-slowing winger. Other than him, we have NO right back fit for the Premiership, and the excuse of Taylor is a shite one, as he is the only good centre back we have.

So that 'rse Roeder will probably buy a central midfielder and a left winger.

I'm not going to quote anyone but i want to highlight a couple my opinions in the 'Bad Planning' debate.

Michael Owen. Good or bad planning? For me, neither. It was a game of deal brokering involving lots of money, different agendas and at least 3 clubs. In that scenario, there were more than enough variables to take the decision out of Freddy's hands. He was in for the deal but had no guarantee his (imo excellent) strategy would pull off. They forced Liverpool out of the financial equation, Real wanted to sell to us for that reason, did a charm offensive on MO and eventually at the death, got their man. (as things have turned out in hindsight maybe we should have gone for a different deal, whatever, thats not the point).

Good planning only because it came off. If it hadnt it would have been bad planning as that would have left us with just Shearer (fucked), Luque (shite) and Ameobi (donkey).

Deals go to the wire all the time and sometimes dont come off, sometimes you get more than you bargained for .

When the company i work for was negotiating to buy a divested product from a french rival for £300m, on the last day of the deal they dropped the price so that we would take 2 products off their hands not just one. The second one was the one we would have preferred in the first place but they had no idea about this. We have now turned round this 'unwanted' second product. Good planning on our behalf? No, just a nice deal that came off for us. Nae different in the transfer market.

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its fucking naive not to understand this. 

Guest nufcandy

I think our priorities should be to get:

1) A quality LB

2) A stop gap Striker

3) A quality CB

suggestions for any of those?

Guest Gemmill

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its fucking naive not to understand this.   

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

I'd also like to know how buying Duff who has been poor so far when we had Zoggy on top form last season instead of getting 1/2 defenders was "good planning"? I thought it was only Freddy and Roeder who didn't realize that we needed defenders, it seems now you can add NE5 and HTL to that dumb list.

Well now that Solano and Zoggy have both been hurt, it would seem buying Duff isn't so bad an idea after all. You do understand the concept of "squad", unless you are yourself dumb enough to expect a young lad like Zoggy to play out of his skin for 50 games a season.

Liverpool also would have bought Duff, and they need defenders. Bad planning ? As usual, dumb people like you always think everybody else but us runs their clubs better than we do despite the fact only 4 clubs have qualified more for europe than we have in the past decade.

I'm not going to quote anyone but i want to highlight a couple my opinions in the 'Bad Planning' debate.

Michael Owen. Good or bad planning? For me, neither. It was a game of deal brokering involving lots of money, different agendas and at least 3 clubs. In that scenario, there were more than enough variables to take the decision out of Freddy's hands. He was in for the deal but had no guarantee his (imo excellent) strategy would pull off. They forced Liverpool out of the financial equation, Real wanted to sell to us for that reason, did a charm offensive on MO and eventually at the death, got their man. (as things have turned out in hindsight maybe we should have gone for a different deal, whatever, thats not the point).

Good planning only because it came off. If it hadnt it would have been bad planning as that would have left us with just Shearer (fucked), Luque (shite) and Ameobi (donkey).

Deals go to the wire all the time and sometimes dont come off, sometimes you get more than you bargained for .

When the company i work for was negotiating to buy a divested product from a french rival for £300m, on the last day of the deal they dropped the price so that we would take 2 products off their hands not just one. The second one was the one we would have preferred in the first place but they had no idea about this. We have now turned round this 'unwanted' second product. Good planning on our behalf? No, just a nice deal that came off for us. Nae different in the transfer market.

far too realistic - again - for those who inhabit the world of Championship manager and think such rules apply in real life

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

Mindful of the financial position - after all money is money, is it beyond the realms of an accountant to comprehend that they were trying to knock the fee down ? Now you slate them for not paying the full price, while knowing you would have still slagged them off if they had done ?

blueyes.gif

Another thing to consider is that all players these days have their own personal jumped-up used car salesman trying to get the best possible deal for himself the player. At the top end of the market especially, they hold all the cards and are going to play clubs off against each other and delay any decisions being made and deals going through until they are sure no-one else is interested and they've squeezed as much as they can out of the club.

Everyone thinks they're an expert because they've played a few games of Champ Manager, signed Ronaldinho and won the league.