RIP Jim Smith

Optimistic Nut

He was one of those managers who came here because the pull of Newcastle as a major city was greater than the reality of us being a cheap club at the time. He had good ideas, was just never really allowed to buy the players he needed to make them work. I'm not 100% sure but I think he was the one who brought Michael O'Neill here, and he was quite an exciting young striker for a time.

He was one of those managers who came here because the pull of Newcastle as a major city was greater than the reality of us being a cheap club at the time. He had good ideas, was just never really allowed to buy the players he needed to make them work. I'm not 100% sure but I think he was the one who brought Michael O'Neill here, and he was quite an exciting young striker for a time.

Nah, O'Neill made his debut in the mid-end of the 87-88 season (my first going to matches) under McFaul, and scored quite a few goals in a short space of time.

Smith did however bring Wayne Fereday to the club.

Nah, O'Neill made his debut in the mid-end of the 87-88 season (my first going to matches) under McFaul, and scored quite a few goals in a short space of time.

Smith did however bring Wayne Fereday to the club.

I wasn't really sure if it was Smith or McFaul who actually signed him, but he looked class for a while.