Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Anyone that wasn't bricking it after Reading was bloody optimistic. That was when I finally caved in - it was impossible to pick the next win, we'd only signed Debuchy by that point, the Remy debacle had just happened and the atmosphere was turning poisonous. That night I was convinced we were going.

Now things are fine and we'll finish in mid-table, but things were genuinely scary for a time.

Absolutely. There was no guarantee that returning players would make enough of a difference. We'd lost our top scorer. Confidence was seeping away both from the players and the fans. Pardew was looking like he hadn't slept in weeks. Coupled with the Remy saga it was basically rock bottom after the Reading game. The major turning point was the week of signings that followed. Getting fresh blood (who brought with them their own confidence) made the big difference in lifting every one. You only have to look at how many of our recent goals have been the result of Sissoko and Gouffran's good work and where we'd be if we hadn't signed them. Given the summer transfer window it wasn't unreasonable for fans to have no faith in Ashley to do what he did in January but credit to him.

Anyone that wasn't bricking it after Reading was bloody optimistic. That was when I finally caved in - it was impossible to pick the next win, we'd only signed Debuchy by that point, the Remy debacle had just happened and the atmosphere was turning poisonous. That night I was convinced we were going.

Now things are fine and we'll finish in mid-table, but things were genuinely scary for a time.

Absolutely. There was no guarantee that returning players would make enough of a difference. We'd lost our top scorer. Confidence was seeping away both from the players and the fans. Pardew was looking like he hadn't slept in weeks. Coupled with the Remy saga it was basically rock bottom after the Reading game. The major turning point was the week of signings that followed. Getting fresh blood (who brought with them their own confidence) made the big difference in lifting every one. You only have to look at how many of our recent goals have been the result of Sissoko and Gouffran's good work and where we'd be if we hadn't signed them. Given the summer transfer window it wasn't unreasonable for fans to have no faith in Ashley to do what he did in January but credit to him.

We needn't have worried, Stu and Inochi had it covered all along.

Guest icemanblue

Anyone that didn't think we were in trouble at the turn of the year were in cloud cuckoo land...we had a team nowhere near full strength due to injuries, a manager who alone was costing us points with cowardly tactics and moronic substitutions and what seemed to be a player, Ba, dictating how and where he should play, to the detriment of the team. I'm not wearing this bollocks that Stu is bumping his gums about that we were always certainties to avoid relegation.

Stu always takes a contrary view to sense, just to contrive conflict.

Anyhow, like all here, I'm delighted with the investments and the way they've started life at SJP, I voted 2 whereas at the start of the year I'd have voted a 7/8.

That's nonsense, like. I wasn't, at any point, seriously worried about relegation. As I maintained all along, things were always going to get easier/better when our better players returned. We were also always going to strengthen. Admittedly, I didn't think we'd strenghten quite as well as we have. The mood at matches and amongst my family and friends didn't come close to mirroring the mood on here, so perhaps that helped.

I genuinely think that, unless you're cut adrift at the bottom, noone can be certain (a 9 or a 10) that a team is going down at that stage. The season doesn't end in January, as we've seen so many times before.

I said 7 or 8 at the turn of the year, and stated why. Without the investment that we couldn't have been sure we were getting due to the owner's iffy record of spending, we would have been much worse off than we are now points wise. Stu, like yourself,a hindsight prophet, stated he was a 1 pre-investment. Absolute lunacy.

Eh? Are you being serious, or what? :lol: I said all of this at the time. Investment, players returning, the lot. There's no hindsight involved.

It's also not lunacy. The fact we're in the positon we are now is a pretty fucking good testament to that.

So it was madness for people rightly worried about relegation to vote 9 at Christmas,but not for contrary WUMs to vote 1?

You for real ?

Eh (again)? I've said why I think it's madness for someone to say 'we're definitely down', five months before the end of the season, when we weren't even in the relegation zone. It wouldn't have been so mad if we'd been in QPR's position, but even they had a chance of getting out of it.

What all the 'contrary WUM' shit is, other than childish, I don't know. Did I gain this title just by having a different opinion to the majority?

And yet isn't madness to say we definitely wouldn't ? Even in the current positivity, it would be so. Why can't you see that ?

Because it's not 'madness', man! I don't think anyone could be 'certain' that we'd have definitely stayed up or went down, there are just too many variables (and Joe Kinnear is still alive). It was a controversial opinion, grounded in experience of what's went before and a lack of melodrama. Things were always going to pick up, we had two of our best players to come back and we had new players to come in. We had far worse teams below us without these plus points to look forward to. It was a rough time, and a terrible run of form. At no point were we in the relegation zone, though.

The only time NUFC have been relegated from the Premier League:

- we had 4 managers (including JFK and the experienced Alan Shearer)

- a fan 'bouycoutt' due to a club legend being forced out/toxic atmosphere in the stands (until the threat of relegation loomed large)

- a squad of over-paid and past-their-sell-by-date 'stars' (many of whom had been signed by the previous regime)

- a ridiculous injury list keeping our best players out of the team for many of the games

- we were a deflected goal away from staying up

That's the current benchmark for being relegated from the Premierleague as NUFC.

We may have had one (injuries), maybe two (possible crowd vs Pardew issue) repeats this season.

It's not 'contrary' to think it highly unlikely for that outcome to be repeated when those circumstances are not going to be matched or exceeded (Pardew was given the 8 year deal in Autumn).

It wasn't contrary for you Stu, for as has been so ably pointed out by Interpolic, when we were getting beat by West Ham, Reading , Southampton etc, ie the lowest points, you weren't even posting here.

And as for the stats you've kindly reminded us of, the only time we need to worry is when we have 4 managers in a season then ?

People were rightly concerned because of the perceived lack of common sense or investment when we were last in this predicament.

:lol: when we lost to West Ham, they were the first team other than the current champions of England and Europe that we'd lost to. Why on earth would that spark relegation fears?

When we lost to Southampton, we'd just been playing in Europa (still adapting to playing Thurs/Sun and rotating) but by all accounts it was one of our poorest and most disjointed games. We were starting to feel the affects of the injuries/absences with the not-yet-ready Shane Ferguson starting. 3 league defeats in a row, but enough to spark relegation fears?

Your counter points are little more than snide digs at posters you don't like/agree with. Unless you come up with a point that hasn't already been covered and is relevant to the topic, I'll leave it to other people to entertain you on a work-shy Tuesday.

- a fan 'bouycoutt' due to a club legend being forced out/toxic atmosphere in the stands (until the threat of relegation loomed large)

- a squad of over-paid and past-their-sell-by-date 'stars' (many of whom had been signed by the previous regime)

- a ridiculous injury list keeping our best players out of the team for many of the games

That's the current benchmark for being relegated from the Premierleague as NUFC.

We may have had one (injuries), maybe two (possible crowd vs Pardew issue) repeats this season.

It's not 'contrary' to think it highly unlikely for that outcome to be repeated when those circumstances are not going to be matched or exceeded (Pardew was given the 8 year deal in Autumn).

It wasn't contrary for you Stu, for as has been so ably pointed out by Interpolic, when we were getting beat by West Ham, Reading , Southampton etc, ie the lowest points, you weren't even posting here.

And as for the stats you've kindly reminded us of, the only time we need to worry is when we have 4 managers in a season then ?

People were rightly concerned because of the perceived lack of common sense or investment when we were last in this predicament.

:lol: when we lost to West Ham, they were the first team other than the current champions of England and Europe that we'd lost to. Why on earth would that spark relegation fears?

When we lost to Southampton, we'd just been playing in Europa (still adapting to playing Thurs/Sun and rotating) but by all accounts it was one of our poorest and most disjointed games. We were starting to feel the affects of the injuries/absences with the not-yet-ready Shane Ferguson starting. 3 league defeats in a row, but enough to spark relegation fears?

Your counter points are little more than snide digs at posters you don't like/agree with. Unless you come up with a point that hasn't already been covered and is relevant to the topic, I'll leave it to other people to entertain you on a work-shy Tuesday.

I'm at work Dick wad.

Michael, you're confusing my posts with your own. Stop clicking on 'show me' and concentrate on posting something worthwhile.

Do you ever engage in discussion anymore? Or do you just post 'witty' comments and abuse of NUFC/posters?

Anyone that didn't think we were in trouble at the turn of the year were in cloud cuckoo land...we had a team nowhere near full strength due to injuries, a manager who alone was costing us points with cowardly tactics and moronic substitutions and what seemed to be a player, Ba, dictating how and where he should play, to the detriment of the team. I'm not wearing this bollocks that Stu is bumping his gums about that we were always certainties to avoid relegation.

Anyhow, like all here, I'm delighted with the investments and the way they've started life at SJP, I voted 2 whereas at the start of the year I'd have voted a 7/8.

That's nonsense, like. I wasn't, at any point, seriously worried about relegation. As I maintained all along, things were always going to get easier/better when our better players returned. We were also always going to strengthen. Admittedly, I didn't think we'd strenghten quite as well as we have. The mood at matches and amongst my family and friends didn't come close to mirroring the mood on here, so perhaps that helped.

I genuinely think that, unless you're cut adrift at the bottom, noone can be certain (a 9 or a 10) that a team is going down at that stage. The season doesn't end in January, as we've seen so many times before.

I said 7 or 8 at the turn of the year, and stated why. Without the investment that we couldn't have been sure we were getting due to the owner's iffy record of spending, we would have been much worse off than we are now points wise. Stu, like yourself,a hindsight prophet, stated he was a 1 pre-investment. Absolute lunacy.

Eh? Are you being serious, or what? :lol: I said all of this at the time. Investment, players returning, the lot. There's no hindsight involved.

It's also not lunacy. The fact we're in the positon we are now is a pretty fucking good testament to that.

So it was madness for people rightly worried about relegation to vote 9 at Christmas,but not for contrary WUMs to vote 1?

You for real ?

Eh (again)? I've said why I think it's madness for someone to say 'we're definitely down', five months before the end of the season, when we weren't even in the relegation zone. It wouldn't have been so mad if we'd been in QPR's position, but even they had a chance of getting out of it.

What all the 'contrary WUM' shit is, other than childish, I don't know. Did I gain this title just by having a different opinion to the majority?

And yet isn't madness to say we definitely wouldn't ? Even in the current positivity, it would be so. Why can't you see that ?

Because it's not 'madness', man! I don't think anyone could be 'certain' that we'd have definitely stayed up or went down, there are just too many variables (and Joe Kinnear is still alive). It was a controversial opinion, grounded in experience of what's went before and a lack of melodrama. Things were always going to pick up, we had two of our best players to come back and we had new players to come in. We had far worse teams below us without these plus points to look forward to. It was a rough time, and a terrible run of form. At no point were we in the relegation zone, though.

So to vote 1 or 10 ,definitely up or down is a tad bonkers then......you are actually agreeing with me ffs.

I was very worried after Reading like. The signings have saved us, no doubt about it. We got them in before Villa which was an absolute crunch game and the momentum has built from there.

Without the signings we'd almost certainly have seen a Brighton-esque exit in the Europa too.

I still think we can turn this into a really solid season from now, so long as we can progress in Europe.

Guest icemanblue

You for real ?

So to vote 1 or 10 ,definitely up or down is a tad bonkers then......you are actually agreeing with me ffs.

Am I fuck. :lol:

Honestly, this is just pointless. You're just going to keep shifting it. I'm entitled to my opinion, which I'm not using to be a WUM. I don't claim that it's the definitive opinion on the subject.

You for real ?

Honestly, this is just pointless. You're just going to keep shifting it. I'm entitled to my opinion, which I'm not using to be a WUM. I don't claim that it's the definitive opinion on the subject.

I'm not shifting anything, I said it was lunacy for anyone to vote 1 and now I'm opening it for 10 too. To vote for something to DEFINITELY happen is mental.

I was very worried after Reading like. The signings have saved us, no doubt about it. We got them in before Villa which was an absolute crunch game and the momentum has built from there.

Without the signings we'd almost certainly have seen a Brighton-esque exit in the Europa too.

I still think we can turn this into a really solid season from now, so long as we can progress in Europe.

Absolutely spot on.

You for real ?

TBF to Inochi he's been propagating this opinion for a while RE: relegation/Pards stuff to a response of a fair bit of flak. It's hardly reactionist drivel after the event has happened.

so yesterday pardew's previous record (our current manager) was irrelevant to our form and chances of staying up, but today you're wheeling out previous relegation as evidence that we wouldn't go down?  :lol: 

have a fucking word man, one is much more relevant to this season than the other given the amount of players left in the squad since the last relegation

so yesterday pardew's previous record (our current manager) was irrelevant to our form and chances of staying up, but today you're wheeling out previous relegation as evidence that we wouldn't go down?  :lol: 

have a fucking word man, one is much more relevant to this season than the other given the amount of players left in the squad since the last relegation

I know, you couldn't fucking make it up.:D

You for real ?

TBF to Inochi he's been propagating this opinion for a while RE: relegation/Pards stuff to a response of a fair bit of flak. It's hardly reactionist drivel after the event has happened.

I know Inochi has been consistent with his opinion,and hasn't shied away ,unlike others who now share a similar opinion, during the lower times. The point really is about the scale of the poll.

Guest icemanblue

You for real ?

I know Inochi has been consistent with his opinion,and hasn't shied away ,unlike others who now share a similar opinion, during the lower times. The point really is about the scale of the poll.

It's not about the scale of the poll at all. I've never argued the scale. It's about negative, defeatist, melodramatic predictions.

You for real ?

It's not about the scale of the poll at all. I've never argued the scale. It's about negative, defeatist, melodramatic predictions.

Claptrap. It wasn't any of those things when Pardew somehow manufactured defeat from the jaws of victory against Reading. It was reality. And thankfully Ashley did something about it. That's all there is to it.