Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

48 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Come on man, you can't use that comparison [emoji38]

Why not, they literally sacked a manager mid season. They could easily sound out someone else for the job and do the same again if they wanted to. It's a good job there's no obvious candidate other than Rafa out of work at the moment, think he's the only other manager I'd be instantly okay with.

I don’t think it sounds that mad that he would be sacked before Christmas

Look at the schedule. We could lose all games prior to Palace (except Forest, but that’s an away game). And, if we lose that game, I think the axe will arrive 

Edited by Zero

We havent had consistantly good performances(not just looking at the results) for a period of games in something like a year now. Its only one home game every now and then when the players get pumped up by the crowd.

When things arent going to plan we just look lost. 

I think he should have until the end of the season to prove he can turn it around, and thats only because of what he achieved when he first came here. But if he hasnt shown that he can produce a consistantly good side by then we should be looking for something fresh.

Edited by Displayname

1 hour ago, STM said:

I think getting rid of Howe would be a disaster. 

Get behind him. Stay in the mix for a European push and back him in January with a couple of key signings.

The biggest issue going forward, if things are to improve with Howe, is getting in players to improve his first team and squad.

There's some sentiment out there that says Mitchell caused problems. Okay, so let's assume he's removed from his position, or at the very least he is tasked with getting whoever Howe wants, fully supporting the manager.

Are you confident the right approach will be taken to get the squad up to scratch?

So, letting some of the 'character' guys go because they are not good enough or can't stay fit, and finding alternatives if the number one options just aren't feasible financially? So we aren't continuously having to manage with players that are well below par?

If in January we are looking at the likes of Guehi and Elanga for around £90 million, do we just need to back Howe on this and fully trust it will work out? And allay any concerns that perhaps the money needs to be spread out more to improve other areas too?

Just want to get a better idea of how best you see this whole dynamic functioning going forward.

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

We havent had consistantly good performances(not just looking at the results) for a period of games in something like a year now. Its only one home game every now and then when the players get pumped up by the crowd.

When things arent going to plan we just look lost. 

I think he should have until the end of the year to prove he can turn it around, and thats only because of what he achieved when he first came here. But if he hasnt shown that he can produce a consistantly good side by then we should be looking for something fresh.

End of the year or end of the season?

27 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think Howe is a heavy ‘patterns’ guy.  Not like Ange and co. anyway. 

Would be weird given he's primarily interesting in coaching... what would he be coaching if not patterns of play?

Imo these problems are quite fixable. Until we have a six player a double pivot. If/when we get one, get a dedicated 6 and a creative mid who can pick a pass. Also add a very athletic CB. Would dramatically change us imo. 

I personally am not a fan at all of this midfield, it’s like playing 3 8s, it is very flat and gets exposed horribly on transition 

4 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Imo these problems are quite fixable. Until we have a six player a double pivot. If/when we get one, get a dedicated 6 and a creative mid who can pick a pass. Also add a very athletic CB. Would dramatically change us imo. 

I personally am not a fan at all of this midfield, it’s like playing 3 8s, it is very flat and gets exposed horribly on transition 

I thought against Brighton it was much more dynamic and it was clear that we were trying to establish the combinations further up the pitch. The Chelsea game was way too much for us though, their attackers are just too capable of getting free and make very few technical mistakes while we make loads. 

I'm not against trying the 4-2-3-1 mind, something has to give. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I thought against Brighton it was much more dynamic and it was clear that we were trying to establish the combinations further up the pitch. The Chelsea game was way too much for us though, their attackers are just too capable of getting free and make very few technical mistakes while we make loads. 

I'm not against trying the 4-2-3-1 mind, something has to give. 

Yes Brighton was definitely better but I did feel that they basically ceded the ball to us. I just haven’t ever been a fan of this midfield. It sounds crazy but you could see in in the Villa game where we smashed them. It’s just way too open.

Bruno can’t play as a lone DM as he’s too slow and doesn’t have the defensive instinct to overcome it. I can’t figure out by we got tonali, he’s a fine player but he doesn’t solve anything for us 

Well, he's a lot better than Longstaff. I assume we signed Tonali because we do see Bruno as the long-term central 6.

I still think it's Bruno's best position, in the same way as Rodri for example. But I guess we might have to face the facts that we're not a dominant enough team to have someone with his profile there. I can understand the thinking though. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Guehi and Elanga for £90m is not good business no matter who is the manager, mainly because Elanga isn't good enough. Guehi for 50 and someone better than Elanga for 40 and we might be talking. 

If that's ultimately what the manager wants though, and he strongly believes getting those two will give him what he needs to get back amongst the European positions, do we then not have to back him? Isn't that what getting behind him fully is? Or how else do we navigate this?

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If that's ultimately what the manager wants though, and he strongly believes getting those two will give him what he needs to get back amongst the European positions, do we then not have to back him? Isn't that what getting behind him fully is? Or how else do we navigate this?

Well, it should always be a discussion between everyone. Everyone will have to compromise, including Howe. Backing the manager doesn't mean letting him decide everything. 

I would expect Howe to have a type or profile of player he thinks we need, rather than a post-it note with one name on it. 

I'm sure Howe wanted Tosin for example, he wasn't just obsessed with Guehi forever. We just thought we could get Guehi but in the end we failed. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well, he's a lot better than Longstaff. I assume we signed Tonali because we do see Bruno as the long-term central 6.

I still think it's Bruno's best position, in the same way as Rodri for example. But I guess we might have to face the facts that we're not a dominant enough team to have someone with his profile there. I can understand the thinking though. 

He is yeah but he causes more problems than he solves for me. I don’t really understand the signing. Personally I would have bought a holding midfielder instead. 

agree about Bruno, if you’re playing someone with his athleticism or lack of, you need to be dominant. He can’t make recovery runs at all 

2 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

He is yeah but he causes more problems than he solves for me. I don’t really understand the signing. Personally I would have bought a holding midfielder instead. 

agree about Bruno, if you’re playing someone with his athleticism or lack of, you need to be dominant. He can’t make recovery runs at all 

Yeah, but we didn't want a holding midfielder, I assume. We've never really been close to one as far as I remember. The vision was for an all-action team that just stomps all over people, as far off as that seems now. 

Whether that might change, I'm not sure. It's quite a big decision though because we now have a decent number of CMs and effective DMs tend to cost loads. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, Sempiternal said:

I could have sworn there was an article last season saying they were prioritizing a 6. Maybe mark Douglas. 

Wouldn't be the first time I talked nonsense, but it was fairly low profile prioritisation if so :lol:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Wouldn't be the first time I talked nonsense, but it was fairly low profile prioritisation if so :lol:

Oh nah it wasn’t a dig, i just thought I had read it as I remember being happy about it ha 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well, it should always be a discussion between everyone. Everyone will have to compromise, including Howe. Backing the manager doesn't mean letting him decide everything. 

I would expect Howe to have a type or profile of player he thinks we need, rather than a post-it note with one name on it. 

I'm sure Howe wanted Tosin for example, he wasn't just obsessed with Guehi forever. We just thought we could get Guehi but in the end we failed. 

I understand the sentiment, and this is how it should work ideally, but judging by how the summer went I don't think it played out that way. Ultimately, the manager has the final sign off.

If he doesn't like the other options presented and only thinks a few could genuinely improve us, then we are at a standstill.

Guess we'll see how this whole thing has developed since then when the next window rolls around.