Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Yes. He can't survive two poor seasons in a row.

Even though I don’t rate him, I think we have to let him have this season as there aren’t many replacements about right now.

I’m confident he will pull it round. If the forward line knew where the goal was like last season we would have been 2 up by half time and a very different game. We know they have it in them, just need to find it again, last season Isak and Gordon would have buried one each

Edited by dave s

13 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

I’ll judge him at the end of the season.

As much as I love Eddie people said that last season. I just see regression. Players who once bought into the togetherness of the squad and intangibility of us versus the PL now almost accepting of the fact they’re playing within a setup that’ll never help them reach their ambitions. I know it’s just one game but my instincts are it was a bit of a watershed moment. 

Poor result but my boy is still capable of smashing a result away at Chelsea, bringing them back up here then smashing them again sending them out of the cup. Before welcoming Arteta to St.James' smashing him as well, and sending him back home to his place of non-time wasting , non-back pushing and ball still in play place outside of his own technical area.

Eddie knows we're shit at the moment but he'll sort it.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

Even though I don’t rate him, I think we have to let him have this season as there aren’t many replacements about right now.

I’d give Howe till after xmas period if where out the league cup and hovering mid table, I’d make discreet enquiries whether Ruben Amorim would take the job, if he would I’d press the button before he goes elsewhere.

There was always the risk that you go backwards when you don’t spend in the summer, but ultimately he seemed to have tunnel vision on Guehi and the less said about wanting Elanga the better.

We've got no data on how vulnerable Howe is at the moment - he's the only managerial appointment the current ownership has made.

Oddly enough I thought we looked poor at the start of the season and were grinding out results, now we're playing better and dropping points.

I wasn't expecting us to pick up points today, which is probably a bit troubling.  We're 8th after eight games, which I think is ok - and I do think that serious questions should only get asked after another ten games or so; half a season will be enough to tell if we've stalled in a bad way.

The squad seems stagnant though - I'm one of those who wouldn't have been at all troubled by seeing a 'purple' or two leave in the summer, provided the FFP headroom was actually used.  I'm not at all convinced that simply clinging onto your best players at the time and not adding to them is a policy likely to result in real success.  All players are ultimately sellable.  My biggest concerns with Howe at the moment would be whether or not he actually has a plan B (beyond 'intensity is our identity', which made us so vulnerable to the injury problems of last season) and whether or not he's cutthroat enough to become an elite manager.  

Just now, RS said:

Hamstrung by corrupt PL and their favoured clubs. He’ll have his day soon enough. 

Sort of - but the Tonali / Livramento / Hall / Barnes summer does raise the question of whether or not we'd actually bring in the right players.

I think Hall was a good signing. Livramento was necessary, though his performances this year are a concern. He should have kicked on. Barnes shouldn’t have been a RW signing. Tonali ate up too much of the budget. The jury is still out as to whether he justifies such a large fee. There are signs. Could have had Tielemans for free. 

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sort of - but the Tonali / Livramento / Hall / Barnes summer does raise the question of whether or not we'd actually bring in the right players.

I see a lot of people saying this (and I agree) but then the same people get defensive about Mitchell’s comments about how we were operating.

I have faith in us getting it right moving forward in terms of recruitment, but I have concerns about Howe. Purely for the reasons you mentioned in your first post. 

Edited by Danh1

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I think Hall was a good signing. Livramento was necessary, though his performances this year are a concern. He should have kicked on. Barnes shouldn’t have been a RW signing. Tonali ate up too much of the budget. The jury is still out as to whether he justifies such a large fee. There are signs. Could have had Tielemans for free. 

It’s not even the fee for Barnes. It’s more why we signed him.

Was it an opportunist signing rather than a strategic one? 

Naa he's just too afraid to upset Gordon.

You could see the benefit when we used to rotate Isak and Wilson a few seasons back, with Gordon and Barnes Howe seems reluctan,

forcing us to use weaker players, a right side of Murphy and the current Livramento form is easy to play against, teams will know we only carry a threat on one side of the pitch.

Edited by mighty__mag

I've lost an absolute ton of faith in him, personally. Almost all of it. This next stage of this whole thing under PIF, I don't think he's the man for it. I'm absolutely gutted about that, but I can't shake the feelings that I'm given from what I'm watching. It's stale as fuck. 

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I've lost an absolute ton of faith in him, personally. Almost all of it. This next stage of this whole thing under PIF, I don't think he's the man for it. I'm absolutely gutted about that, but I can't shake the feelings that I'm given from what I'm watching. It's stale as fuck. 

Today was very different, IMO. The players didn't step up. Isak should be ashamed of himself for the performance he served up. 

This relentlessly negative Haydn is the pits, btw. :lol:

I honestly think if you write down the top 10 teams in the league by player ours would be about 7th or 8th.

BDB, young fullbacks, Murphy. Hell even Gordon was an unknown 1 year ago. 

I think Eddie over achieved massively first 18 months and now we are about where we should be unless we have increased investment.

Chelsea are suddenly doing incredibly well after literally spending an Austin Powers ransom amount.

I believe in Eddie. Don’t let him be a victim of his own success. 

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

Today was very different, IMO. The players didn't step up. Isak should be ashamed of himself for the performance he served up. 

This relentlessly negative Haydn is the pits, btw. :lol:

Perhaps true, yet at the same time we're seeing a continuation of absolutely useless set pieces and hopeless decision making in the final third. No clear patterns of play in possession that enable us to break the opposition down. Its not just one match, either. 

And I'm sorry about that. :lol: But I'm either positive or negative regarding what I see on the pitch with my own eyes in a narrow and broader context and I just can't see a reason to be positive or a reasonable counter argument (for want of a better term) for that to suggest that things are going to improve as they are. I expect us to go to Chelsea and be terrible and get beat because we usually are away against top sides and there's nothing to suggest that we won't be outside of blind faith.