Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He has to have a chance if he’s the best performing English LB in the league for the first half of the season. 

Depends on how comfortable Southgate is with playing Trippier there I suppose. And if Chilwell makes any kind of comeback. 

The weird thing about playing Trippier there is that I genuinely think it weakens both sides. 

Reece James is good, but going forward he is not as effective. He tends to not be as good getting crosses into the box or playing forward passes either, as he passes the ball backwards way too much, and when on the left Trippier, while still useful, just isn't as dangerous having to check back onto his right all the time.

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Saka has been too good further forward to be played at left back anymore.

No chance they lose Saks's effectiveness further forward and drop him back there ahead of taking Targett.

As for Chilwell, I think he might have it tough because he's been injured for ages, and even before then Tuchel was mucking him about and didn't seem to fancy him over Alonso.

I think Saka plays left back for England before Targett does. There's better options at RW than at LB.

Not true re Chilwell. Chilwell played the last game of the season, he'll have a full pre-season and be fit enough for the WC unless he has setbacks. Chilwell was definite first choice at Chelsea before he got injured. He started the season poorly but was absolutely flying before he got injured.

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think Saka plays left back for England before Targett does. There's better options at RW than at LB.

Not true re Chilwell. Chilwell played the last game of the season, he'll have a full pre-season and be fit enough for the WC unless he has setbacks. Chilwell was definite first choice at Chelsea before he got injured. He started the season poorly but was absolutely flying before he got injured.

Wrong on both counts.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

The weird thing about playing Trippier there is that I genuinely think it weakens both sides. 

Reece James is good, but going forward he is not as effective. He tends to not be as good getting crosses into the box or playing forward passes either, as he passes the ball backwards way too much, and when on the left Trippier, while still useful, just isn't as dangerous having to check back onto his right all the time.

What? Are you talking about in general or just for England? He's certainly not like that for Chelsea.

James is England's best right back by an absolute country mile.

Just now, Shearergol said:

What? Are you talking about in general or just for England? He's certainly not like that for Chelsea.

image.png.01cb4215eaf1be429aa0cf03d52601f0.pngimage.png.16ef22169a05ccc619119a6e6ea55606.pngimage.png.b5d7147b3b9e01b7ee2fbf0378549ba1.png

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Mate I love Trippier, think he saved our season, but he's nowhere near as good as James.

TAA is great going forward but suspect at the back.

Walker is done imo.

Walker is not done, he's perfect as a right sided CB in a back 3. Especially for tournament football, his recovery pace bails England out so so often. 

Yeah Rheece James is more complete than all of them. It's not a country mile.

He's a better defender than Trippier & TAA and he's better going forward than Walker. 18GA last season, more than ASM.

He's the most complete fullback. He even looked good a few times in central midfield last season. And RCB.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye Walker is not done. I think he plays with James in a back 5.

It's a tough one, I'd personally be happy with either that or James right CB and Trent right wing back in a back 5. 

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I just don't see it. I think he's quite limited going forward, if the defender he is going up against is in position. He doesn't really take them on dribbling with the ball, and also goes backwards with the ball way too often IMO.

6 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

It's a tough one, I'd personally be happy with either that or James right CB and Trent right wing back in a back 5. 

Walker is a better RCB than Trent. TAA just doesn't look good for England and is genuinely a defensive liability.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I just don't see it. I think he's quite limited going forward, if the defender he is going up against is in position. He doesn't really take them on dribbling with the ball, and also goes backwards with the ball way too often IMO.

Rheece James in the PL = 5 goals & 9 assists from 22 starts 

Nonsense from Kaka again

19 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Mate I love Trippier, think he saved our season, but he's nowhere near as good as James.

TAA is great going forward but suspect at the back.

Walker is done imo.

I don't disagree that James is, at the moment at least, probably better than the others. Saying that he's better than them "by an absolute country mile" and that they are "nowhere near" James though... :lol: Don't agree with that at all. They are all better than each other in something, but overall I'd say James is marginally ahead of his competition.

James is an absolute monster. His delivery is consistently fantastic, he’s very good defensively, strength, speed and work rate in abundance; the guy literally has it all.

Edited by McCormick

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Walker is a better RCB than Trent. TAA just doesn't look good for England and is genuinely a defensive liability.

Rheece James in the PL = 5 goals & 9 assists from 22 starts 

Nonsense from Kaka again

He gets decent numbers in that Chelsea team for sure, but I really don't like him going forward. If he gets played in behind to either cross first time or shoot then you're in good shape, yes. In that Chelsea team, which has a lot more quality he gets into those kind of positions a decent amount.

Watching him for England though, where the passing isn't quite as good enough to get him into those positions, and he has to do a bit more himself, and it looks quite different. Watching the recent few England games, kept getting frustrated at how cautious he was either in taking people on, or playing a forward ball into players.

In a system where England are already playing three at the back, and often then have two defensive minded midfielders on top of that, I have no idea why Southgate wouldn't use TAA, who is a more dangerous passer, crosser and player going forward. It's all part of why they looked so poor in the recent games.

55 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

As I just stated in another post, playing in the Chelsea team makes things a lot more straightforward for him, as he can get in behind more often on the overlap, and the players around him are able to find him and play him in, and he then does a great job delivering in the final third in those situations.

For England though, where the build up play is no where near as good to create those overloads for him, and then put him in position to produce a final ball or have a pop at goal, it really reduces his effectiveness a great deal IMO.

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

Walker is not done, he's perfect as a right sided CB in a back 3. Especially for tournament football, his recovery pace bails England out so so often. 

As a right back for England, I honestly think Walker is done. I just don't think he's that player anymore. Maybe I just overrate James, but I think he's one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Guest HTT II

Reece James is an all-rounder, he could play CB, RB, RW or CM, he has the potential to be world-class!

Edited by HTT II

Some right pace obsessed weirdos on here. The issue I’ve seen is we’ve got too many overrated players in the game who are solely athletes with very little consistency in their game due to lack of tactical awareness and poor coaching. 

Guest HTT II

Walker mind isn’t finished and although his distribution is questionable, his power, pace and defensive awareness is top notch. He’s easily still one of the best full-backs in the game.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Some right pace obsessed weirdos on here. The issue I’ve seen is we’ve got too many overrated players in the game who are solely athletes with very little consistency in their game due to lack of tactical awareness and poor coaching. 

And the sad thing is that’s what clubs are looking for in young kids and all we end up with is identikit footballers, athletes, but no flair or real technical ability.

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

And the sad thing is that’s what clubs are looking for in young kids and all we end up with is identikit footballers, athletes, but no flair or real technical ability.

Ray Houghton's been moaning about that for many years.

Lots of these kids are excellent technically.

With increased professionalisation you get players less capable of thinking autonomously and less mavericks. When the minimal professional bar is so high - you exclude a lot of people.

I think pure athletes get less far these days. Again, the bar is so high, it's much less of an advantage.

I was talking to a friend the other day about that German striker for Chelsea. He seems rapid.. but somehow not as fast as a prime Craig Bellamy. And I thought that's probably because a prime Bellamy was up against some real carthorses week in week out.