NUFC Transfer Rumours

I like the Britishness of our signings, it raises our profile having a few home internationals in our first team and further down the line I'm positive we'll see Lewis Hall in there too. I wouldn't like us to be one of those clubs that churns through average foreign players every year, regardless of how good some of them would be, it would feel a little soulless. Having said that, we do miss out on a few players that end up at clubs that are perceived lesser than us that would strengthen our squad. This is where I think Mitchell will end up showing his worth, striking a balance between what Eddie Howe wants and what the majority of the rest of us want. It's nowt new though, we've seen some class players sign for some woeful clubs over the years whilst we've soldiered on with the likes of a 45 year old Lee Clark in the middle or a one-legged Michael Bridges on the right wing.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Likewise we can play Gordon on the right and Barnes on the left. It's not ideal, but it's not exactly ideal to play some of the ones you mentioned out of position either, especially when we lack depth in several positions. I suppose the perfect scenario would've been to sign a player who was best at right wing, but could also cover left wing pretty well when needed.

Yeah that's pretty much it, as I say, it wasn't strictly a problem with Barnes, it's just having a RW who could cover LW would've been better than having an extra LW who could cover RW.

The strategy was always pretty clear - minimise risk by targeting PL proven players. In the current FFP climate if we go big on foreign players and miss once or twice it could seriously set us back however..

We then decided to go and play chicken with Crystal Palace over Guehi with no back up plan? Avoiding risk by gambling on one player which did not pay off.

Summer was such a mess.

Edited by Nine

Gordon and Barnes at LW when each can cover RW and Gordon can play striker is what we should be building toward. Focussing on Geuhi while ignoring RW is not. We could have signed a young RCB as cover for Schar and gone after a RW in the summer window. We had at least 65M to spend in the summer. Not improving RW becasue we can't get good money for Miggy is insane.  Who cares? As for disparing Brighton; at least they had a quality signing at RW in the summer.  

Just now, rebelrouser said:

Gordon and Barnes at LW when each can cover RW and Gordon can play striker is what we should be building toward. Focussing on Geuhi while ignoring RW is not. We could have signed a young RCB as cover for Schar and gone after a RW in the summer window. We had at least 65M to spend in the summer. Not improving RW becasue we can't get good money for Miggy is insane.  Who cares? As for disparing Brighton; at least they had a quality signing at RW in the summer.  

Neither Gordon or Barnes are comfortable RW though. I think it’s clear Howe doesn’t want one of them out there either.

The intent of Gordon and Barnes was great, still is, we should absolutely want two players of that quality fighting it out for a place. 

We as a club plan on having a really heavy workload, we want to be in the deep end of every single competition we play and in Europe, to be playing 2 or 3 games a week for months on end, that means a squad.

It is also clear we did want to address RW, so much doesn't come out about Olise without there being something in it, if we wanted Olise we patently want AN other RW I respect the fact that Eddie seems intent on holding a standard and not just body grabbing for the sake of it, that's admirable. 

It would appear we had a form of idea PSR might be up in the air, had been slightly blindsided by all of this as well and it has impacted us, as well as the lack of players moving on, it isn't like we simply haven't wanted to address other areas it has just been far more a challenge to us than it should have been, and intentionally so by other sides in the league 

2 minutes ago, JEToon said:

The intent of Gordon and Barnes was great, still is, we should absolutely want two players of that quality fighting it out for a place. 

We as a club plan on having a really heavy workload, we want to be in the deep end of every single competition we play and in Europe, to be playing 2 or 3 games a week for months on end, that means a squad.

It is also clear we did want to address RW, so much doesn't come out about Olise without there being something in it, if we wanted Olise we patently want AN other RW I respect the fact that Eddie seems intent on holding a standard and not just body grabbing for the sake of it, that's admirable

It would appear we had a form of idea PSR might be up in the air, had been slightly blindsided by all of this as well and it has impacted us, as well as the lack of players moving on, it isn't like we simply haven't wanted to address other areas it has just been far more a challenge to us than it should have been, and intentionally so by other sides in the league 

In terms of us improving RW, the pool out there to do so is pretty big. For us to not do so is a failure, no excuses for it imo.

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Neither Gordon or Barnes are comfortable RW though. I think it’s clear Howe doesn’t want one of them out there either.

I agree.  They are emergency only cover.  That is why failing to sign a RW is such a glaring error. 

I see not signing a RW as something that is a bit late rather than a massive error. Before we desperately needed a RW, we desperately needed a striker, a CB, fullbacks, two CMs etc etc. 

It’s only now that other problems are solved that RW gets a disproportionate amount of attention. It’s not like it was the priority from day one. 

A bit like striker with Wilson, Miggy entering the form of his life was actually a bit unfortunate for our plan. But that’s understandable, if you’ve managed to get two players playing incredibly well you might naturally move your attention to other positions. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

In terms of us improving RW, the pool out there to do so is pretty big. For us to not do so is a failure, no excuses for it imo.

I don't think it is an excuse personally, I think the general premise from Howe is pretty logical, he doesn't want to just sign players for the sake of it. 

1 minute ago, JEToon said:

I don't think it is an excuse personally, I think the general premise from Howe is pretty logical, he doesn't want to just sign players for the sake of it. 

Which is fine as long as he's good with losing players who don't want to miss out on Europe.

2 minutes ago, JEToon said:

Aye I get that, but that suggests it’s difficult to find a RW out there that improves us. I’d disagree strongly on that. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I see not signing a RW as something that is a bit late rather than a massive error. Before we desperately needed a RW, we desperately needed a striker, a CB, fullbacks, two CMs etc etc. 

It’s only now that other problems are solved that RW gets a disproportionate amount of attention. It’s not like it was the priority from day one. 

A bit like striker with Wilson, Miggy entering the form of his life was actually a bit unfortunate for our plan. But that’s understandable, if you’ve managed to get two players playing incredibly well you might naturally move your attention to other positions. 

I’d argue RW was more of a priority than signing Barnes, Hall and Tino last summer mind. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Aye I get that, but that suggests it’s difficult to find a RW out there that improves us. I’d disagree strongly on that. 

Do we want someone who’s just better than Miggy and Murphy, or we want an actually top signing? 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Which is fine as long as he's good with losing players who don't want to miss out on Europe.

Open to question statement that. 

A squad that becomes bloated and loaded with 5th, 6th, 7th choice signing targets likely ends up missing out on Europe often 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d argue RW was more of a priority than signing Barnes, Hall and Tino last summer mind. 

I honestly think signing Barnes has triggered more criticism than if we’d signed nobody. It’s way over the top and it’s not even a big mistake :lol: We’re obsessed about it. 

I’m never going to criticise signing two brilliant young players, so have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It doesn't, it suggests Howe has a high standard of player he wants to bring to Newcastle which is a good thing. 

A RW simply better than Murphy or Almiron, great, then what? We are hostage to that player for 4 years and a massive contract, or show a bit of patience, take a bit of time and build it over time which has always been the clear strategy from the club 

Edited by JEToon

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I don't think we're looking for a RW that just improves us. We're looking for a RW that's the same caliber as Bruno/Gordon/Isak/Olise, etc. You can disagree with that approach, but that seems to be what we were after.

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

I don't think we're looking for a RW that just improves us. We're looking for a RW that's the same caliber as Bruno/Gordon/Isak/Olise, etc. You can disagree with that approach, but that seems to be what we were after.

Possibly, but then we bid for Elanga so who knows.

I honestly don't get why Gordon can't play there until January. Barnes is quality and I'd prefer Barnes goalscoring from the left prioritised, (and also Gordon's crossing ability from the right), rather than vice versa. 

Gordon is quite opinionated - like Bellamy - and Barnes seems more of a team player - so can imagine Gordon would prefer to optimise where he feels he plays best. But it might be to the detriment of the team. B-I-G has always performed well, the few times it has been played. 

Then subs, bringing Murphy and Almiron on against tired legs can also do the job - better than if they start.