Rangers 1-2 Newcastle United (18/07/2023)

2 hours ago, davedavies said:

In what sense?  Between celtic and rangers?  LOL.

Just means these ultras with their flares and flags and all that jazz. Looks great but obviously some of the factions have links to some unfortunate history. 

9 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Just means these ultras with their flares and flags and all that jazz. Looks great but obviously some of the factions have links to some unfortunate history. 

I really dont know about the politics TBH, I'm not interested in it.  But the scene is getting bigger and bigger and the clubs are allowing it all too, which is incredible given the use of pyro is outlawed in scotland just like it is here in england but they seemingly just turn a blind eye to it.

10 hours ago, gdm said:

Genuinely really happy reading how many people enjoyed Glasgow. I’m not at all a fan of the old firm clubs but Glasgow/Airdrie is home. Shame I couldn’t make the game. I’ve always been welcomed very warmly when I come to Newcastle so I’m glad it appears Newcastle fans were given that same welcome. 

I have been to Glasgow many times with work. (Lorry driver) so I know my way around it very well and also once to see us play Celtic but I have never done the tourist thing round the city centre like I have done many times in Edinburgh. I was looking to take the family up for 4 or 5 days but the thing that puts me off is the transport connections between the two cities is terrible. Trains are way more expensive than just going to Edinburgh and the same with the coaches. Plus the hotels seem very expensive for family rooms for someone on a budget so we haven't been yet but we will get there one day. It seems like the perfect city to me when I drive about It. Just the right size to feel massive but not too sprawling if you know what I mean. Scotland in general is class. I'd live there if I had to move anywhere else in the UK tbh.

11 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I have been to Glasgow many times with work. (Lorry driver) so I know my way around it very well and also once to see us play Celtic but I have never done the tourist thing round the city centre like I have done many times in Edinburgh. I was looking to take the family up for 4 or 5 days but the thing that puts me off is the transport connections between the two cities is terrible. Trains are way more expensive than just going to Edinburgh and the same with the coaches. Plus the hotels seem very expensive for family rooms for someone on a budget so we haven't been yet but we will get there one day. It seems like the perfect city to me when I drive about It. Just the right size to feel massive but not too sprawling if you know what I mean. Scotland in general is class. I'd live there if I had to move anywhere else in the UK tbh.

Yeah I prefer glasgow to Edinburgh any day and I think certainly night life wise edinburgh is far more expensive than Glasgow. The trains between glasgow & edinburgh can be pretty expensive 

1 hour ago, davedavies said:

I really dont know about the politics TBH, I'm not interested in it.  But the scene is getting bigger and bigger and the clubs are allowing it all too, which is incredible given the use of pyro is outlawed in scotland just like it is here in england but they seemingly just turn a blind eye to it.

A lot of the stuff to do with the old firm people seem to turn a blind eye to now compared to a few years ago when people were getting pulled for sectarian chanting and such. I’ve come across the UBs at away games…I wouldn’t say they’re necessarily more aggro than your average away support in the prem, lots of drinking and powder going about, but they are intimidating. Saw Ross County vs Rangers last year and they basically just took over the pubs in Dingwall and do whatever they like. Having said that there wasn’t any bother, but that’s probably because the locals in these sleepy places tend to let them get on with it. 

From colleagues that have kids in schools in Glasgow, some of the kids that join in the UBs are shall we say, the hard cunts and obviously they have a political persuasion…but again, I’ve not seen any evidence of proper trouble. 

There does seem to be a sort of culture ingrained with both sides of the old firm with the pyros and displays about making a “show of force” - some of the title celebrations over the past few years have been wild and kind of shut down the city. Most of them are organised by the UB and the green brigade. Also always found it very strange the way fireworks became a thing in Glasgow the past few years. I know this isn’t related to the ultra movement, but more the wider culture of getting one over “them”, you’d hear wee davey in springburn or wherever letting off fireworks in the backgarden as soon as full time went in the old firm. Replicated across the city. Always found it a bit mad really and again seemed linked to this idea of making a show of strength. 

Edited by AJ9

23 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think there's direct trains to Glasgow from Carlisle.

Not sure if that option is cheaper than going to Edinburgh and changing

Might be worth looking into mate. I'm sure there are a few cross country trains that stop in Newcastle and go all the way to Glasgow but last time I looked they were a ridiculous price. More than to go to London.

Edit: as I remember now we were staying in Carlisle last summer and booked a day trip to Glasgow but it turned out to be a strike day so we couldn't go 

Edited by pedro111

4 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Might be worth looking into mate. I'm sure there are a few cross country trains that stop in Newcastle and go all the way to Glasgow but last time I looked they were a ridiculous price. More than to go to London.

Edit: as I remember now we were staying in Carlisle last summer and booked a day trip to Glasgow but it turned out to be a strike day so we couldn't go 

It used to be the case that if you book early enough and look for the east coast mainline trains that go all the way through to Glasgow, you could get better deals on tickets. Anything that involved a change onto the Scotrail train between Edinburgh and Glasgow was usually pretty expensive.

38 minutes ago, gdm said:

Yeah I prefer glasgow to Edinburgh any day and I think certainly night life wise edinburgh is far more expensive than Glasgow. The trains between glasgow & edinburgh can be pretty expensive 

We've been to Scotland that many times so much so that my daughter who is 6 and at the age where she hates anything I like just to annoy me when I tell her to practice her football so she can play for Newcastle she says "I'm not going to play for Newcastle, I hate them!, I'm going to play for Scotland!" It always gives me a chuckle.

10 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

you can get a coach from Newcastle to Glasgow for about £25 return, but it takes about 5 hours