Newcastle United 2-3 Manchester City (13/01/23)

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Is midseason league position the only relevant factor?
How about the spectacular football we’ve seen? Having players like Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Botman, Trippier? How about witnessing the resurgence of multiple players from what looked like a relegation fodder squad? The absolutely remarkable second half of the season, year before last? Finishing 4th last year. A cup final. A Champions League adventure? Recently beating  Man Utd twice, City once, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa, PSG and generally holding our own against top teams—including the two most recent Liverpool defeats? Even our biggest ever away victory might feature? We can then think where we may finish this season and what could still happen in the FA Cup? Given on our day we can beat anyone. Start to sound like a more reasonable return for the outlay to you? Plus, more than anything, the sense of having a team able to compete. An ethos, team culture and sense of camaraderie we can be proud of. I’m pretty happy with the return to be honest. 

How dare yo be positive we have spent nearly £500m, sorry I mean €460m and should have done something different but fucks knows what that should have been.

This place at times, people lack critical thinking and perspective.

33 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

How about the spectacular football we’ve seen? Having players like Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Botman, Trippier? How about witnessing the resurgence of multiple players from what looked like a relegation fodder squad? The absolutely remarkable second half of the season, year before last? Finishing 4th last year. A cup final. A Champions League adventure? Recently beating  Man Utd twice, City once, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa, PSG and generally holding our own against top teams—including the two most recent Liverpool defeats? Even our biggest ever away victory might feature? We can then think where we may finish this season and what could still happen in the FA Cup? Given on our day we can beat anyone. Start to sound like a more reasonable return for the outlay to you? Plus, more than anything, the sense of having a team able to compete. An ethos, team culture and sense of camaraderie we can be proud of. I’m pretty happy with the return to be honest. 

Your first question is relevant.  We have plenty of time and coaching ability to finish strongly this season. His previous success is why he’s not under pressure for his job from the fans. 

But if we finish 10th Howe will be under tremendous pressure and he might not have another go at it. 

Weve gone past being happy with mid table and decent cup runs. Eddie has contributed to thatmasovsly. 

Edited by The College Dropout

35 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

But what have the Romans ever done for us?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m not a football manager. 

Do you think every good manager in world football would’ve done exactly as Eddie did last night at half time? At 55 minutes? At 2-2? 

There’s this idea that there’s nothing Eddie can do tactically or with substitutions in those situations and it makes no sense to me. 

Considering we didn’t play any football for 45 minutes.  Fresh legs that can follow runs and be brave alone would’ve been worth bringing on. 

I would agree if only those fresh legs could replace players in the positions we were tired.

Full backs, CB, 2 GKs and kid to bring on.

Hall was really the only viable option left.

Now we can argue the squad depth / ffp is at fault for that but we have lost to the likes of PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City in the closing minutes because of two key factors.

Mental and physical fatigue of our 13 players and the ability for those teams above to bring on international quality attacking players to give it one last push.

Otherwise I can't see how team tactics work for 90 minutes and we then forget all that in injury time.

1 hour ago, MagMal said:

But what have the Romans ever done for us?

You are right.

Well, apart from medicine, irrigation,
health, roads, cheese and education,
baths and the Circus Maximus,
what have the Romans ever done for us?

14 hours ago, McDog said:

You are right.

Well, apart from medicine, irrigation,
health, roads, cheese and education,
baths and the Circus Maximus,
what have the Romans ever done for us?

Rabbits! You missed rabbits!