Silly season in full flow - Joey Barton

Nicky

With the right coaching and use of the old "the ball's a hot potato" training strategy he could probably become a decent holding player. I think the thick cockney git thinks that "holding role" means hold the ball, forever!

think this post does some up perfectly the bizarre reasoning of some Geordies of there dislike of Scott Parker.

no point debating the quote to be honest...

Scott Parker holding and Joey Barton bombing on would be very effective in my opinion.

if the rumors about Emre are true that Bayern Munich want him for around £8 million then i would cash in and buy Joey Barton for £6 million and have the holding options of Parker and Butt and bombing on options of Dyer and Barton.

however January is not the time for this...

i think Roeder will concentrate on bringing in players in positions we need like Defense and a Striker and not Joey Barton in January.

Here we go again.

What on earth makes people think Parker can play the holding role he is continually touted for?

I don't think Barton is that good, but I'd swap him for Parker in the blink of an eye.

the same Scott Parker then was our player of the season under Souness in the holding role.

however i have seen your posts before about our Captain and there is no point debating Scott Parker pro's and con's with somebody who thinks Scott Parker contributes nothing to our team.

:roll: ....And then you go on to try to debate the point with Thompers, who has the same opinion as I have of Parker and is running rings around you.

Other than the possibility of a moment of losing my rag at another inept performance from him I doubt I've said Parker contributes nothing to the team, but if you want to make things up that's ok with me. What I HAVE consistently said for 12 months now is that his partnership with Emre doesn't work, that he unbalances the team, that I think he's over-rated and that I would sell him. But I've backed all that up with reasons why I believe this.

I've said I don't think he can play the DM role and I've explained my reasons why. All you and your type do is say that you'd use him in the holding role, but you don't explain the attributes he has that makes you believe he can succeed in that role. I've explained before, and Thompers has in this thread, why he's not good enough for that role. His distribution of the ball is terrible, this is a major part of that role and it can't be overlooked. He also spends too much time diving in, too much time on his arse. But it looks whole-hearted and spectacular, eh.

I also don't believe he's as good attacking as Emre and I've said why I believe this to be the case. Dyer will also be better in that CM attacking role if he was used there again. You will simply say Parker has scored 4 goals and that's your evidence of his CM attacking ability. Well I would say the entire team has more attacking threat without him, we score more across the team and so won't miss the few goals Parker may score.

The bottom line is this. What you really meant earlier is that you don't have the wit to back up any positive points you want to make about him, in direct contrast to my attempts to at least back up an opinion with a reason. Thompers has been doing the same, giving reasons for his opinion, I'm not the only one to try to do this on this forum.

BTW I love the reference to "our Captain" as though I should hold my head in shame or something. What a laugh.

Oh, and as I've also said before, it's no use quoting the performances under Souness. We were shit under Souness, which is why he got the sack in case you missed it.

We're unlikely to move forward by selling our better first-team players. We're just going round in circles if we do this, selling our top players and hoping someone comes in and does better. Souness did that with Bellamy and it's taken us a lot of time and money to sort it out. We should be building a team around players like Emre, Taylor, Given, Solano, Dyer, Martins. I'd be livid if we sold Emre, it wouldn't show forward thinking at all.

If the money is there to go for Barton then fair enough but we shouldn't be selling one of our best players to fund a move for someone who is still a bit of an unknown quantity.

We don't need midfielders, we need defenders and strikers.

This story has probably emerged because Emre was benched against Bolton and some journalist has put two and two together. As far as I'm aware those Bayern rumours were from ages ago and have no bearing on this.

We're unlikely to move forward by selling our better first-team players. We're just going round in circles if we do this, selling our top players and hoping someone comes in and does better. Souness did that with Bellamy and it's taken us a lot of time and money to sort it out. We should be building a team around players like Emre, Taylor, Given, Solano, Dyer, Martins. I'd be livid if we sold Emre, it wouldn't show forward thinking at all.

If the money is there to go for Barton then fair enough but we shouldn't be selling one of our best players to fund a move for someone who is still a bit of an unknown quantity.

This story has probably emerged because Emre was benched against Bolton and some journalist has put two and two together. As far as I'm aware those Bayern rumours were from ages ago and have no bearing on this.

Agreed. And the pity of it is that the reason Emre was on the bench is likely to be because Roeder doesn't have the balls to leave out his Captain...

(  a still hush descends over the forum. I look out the window as the rain plays a tune on my shed roof, the trees in the garden gently swaying in the breeze during this moment of quiet respect for The Captain)

... when he's fit.

Agreed. And the pity of it is that the reason Emre was on the bench is likely to be because Roeder doesn't have the balls to leave out his Captain ( a still hush descends over the forum....quiet respect for The Captain) when he's fit.

:lol: :lol:

If Emre wants to go, we need a replacement. He's a homer anyway. I would like this to happen and think it would be a good change, without changing the fact we also still need an out and out forward as number 1 priority.

Is emre really one of our better players?  More gifted yes, but hugely inconsistent.

Is emre really one of our better players?  More gifted yes, but hugely inconsistent.

Can you name many better players at Newcastle? Last season he was injured and pretty inconsistent but I'd say he's been one of our most consistent players this season. Bear in mind he's spent two of his last three games on the left wing and the other on the bench. He walks into our first team when fit IMO and we shouldn't be selling players like that unless we're a selling club. We have major problems in defence and a real lack of presence up front. To take out Emre mid-season and gamble on Barton would be a totally unnecessary gamble.

Barton looks a good talent and I'd like him on our books but definitely not at the expense of Emre.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Barton doesn't deserve to play in a black and white shirt.  There is no way that anyone who stubs cigars in people's eyes should be allowed at this club no matter how good that they may be.

Barton doesn't deserve to play in a black and white shirt.  There is no way that anyone who stubs cigars in people's eyes should be allowed at this club no matter how good that they may be.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

Fine, it's over a year ago, certainly not excusing it. But on the same wavelength Craig Bellamy has done some twattish things in his life and I know a lot of people wouldn't mind having him back.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Barton doesn't deserve to play in a black and white shirt.   There is no way that anyone who stubs cigars in people's eyes should be allowed at this club no matter how good that they may be.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

Fine, it's over a year ago, certainly not excusing it. But on the same wavelength Craig Bellamy has done some twattish things in his life and I know a lot of people wouldn't mind having him back.

throwing a chair = stubbing a cigar in someones eye?

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

I don't even want him, and I don't think he'll ever come. But unlike some I'm more interested in what players can and can't do on the pitch as opposed to what they do off it. He's been punished for that and has seemingly matured a lot since.

Again, NOT excusing such actions.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

I don't even want him, and I don't think he'll ever come. But unlike some I'm more interested in what players can and can't do on the pitch as opposed to what they do off it. He's been punished for that and has seemingly matured a lot since.

Again, NOT excusing such actions.

Hmm, would be interesting to go back to any posts you made about Bowyer.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

It was at a fancy dress party at Christmas '04. Barton was going around stubbing his cigar into people's costumes until one of the youth team players decided to try and set his shirt on fire....you know the rest.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Barton doesn't deserve to play in a black and white shirt.   There is no way that anyone who stubs cigars in people's eyes should be allowed at this club no matter how good that they may be.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

It was at a fancy dress party at Christmas '04. Barton was going around stubbing his cigar into people's costumes until one of the youth team players decided to try and set his shirt on fire....you know the rest.

obviously deserved it then

Guest thompers

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

obviously deserved it then

Agree. What kind of twat tries to set someones shirt on fire, I'd have cigarred him in BOTH eyes.

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

Being accused of hitting women twice, im sure he is a nice bloke really.

Guest Invicta_Toon

That was years ago.

Summer 2005 wasn't it?

Being accused of hitting women twice, im sure he is a nice bloke really.

we've been through this before Jon, being accused of being a cockney homm doesn't mean you are one

and we know you only get embroiled in these pulling a munter scandals because of your fame and celebrity