Players that were actually decent for us that are totally forgotten

gjohnson

I just started attending matches when Franz Carr played for Newcastle but was too young to know if he was any good? I do remember the crowd getting excited when he was on the ball. 

Any one remember what he was like? 

3 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I just started attending matches when Franz Carr played for Newcastle but was too young to know if he was any good? I do remember the crowd getting excited when he was on the ball. 

Well he was signed under Ossie so as much as he looked good the team made up of kids were losing.

By the time he come back from a bad injury Keegan had already started to bring his own players in.

Shame as he was fast and direct but don't think he has the crossing ability of say Sellers, Sheedy or future wingers we would bring in

Scott Sellers... Outstanding crosser of the ball but guess the way the club stream rolled under Keegan he was quickly forgotten about once Ginola arrived.

The Liverpool / cole game was a joy to watch.. yes the keeper was dodgy but the build up from Sellers was simply superb.

3 hours ago, macphisto said:

Remember him as quick, had a trick in him/would dribble. Limited final product. I liked him but he was frustrating; can’t recall specific examples but sense he juts lacked that final ball/bit of self belief to try the shot or pick the pass. Best modern comparison that springs to mind is think of Sterling on a bad day; gets there and the slows down, fluffs it, or goes back. 

19 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Ruel Fox

He's a very strange one, one of only three players after Cole and Gordon to get 10 assists and 10 goals in a season. Makes you think whether we let him go too soon and also whether that would happen in today's game where data plays a much more prominent role?

Other thing about the stat above is how I can't believe Beardsley did not get 10 assists and 10 goals during his second stint here. I'm sure 99.9% would go for him ahead of Cole if asked that question in a pub quiz. 

On 03/08/2024 at 19:13, vicente_14 said:

Malcolm Allen and Alex Mathie, both short and sweet stays.

Glad these guys got a mention