Emre - 'Dirty Turk'

Crumpy Gunt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2007/01/07/sfnnew07.xml

By way of complication, the FA are also examining complaints from Newcastle fans that Everton supporters subjected Obafemi Martins, their Nigerian forward, to racist abuse. Martins, incidentally, is Emre's best friend on Tyneside.

Emre's assured me he said nothing racist and I'd be shocked if he had. If something had been said I would be the first person to come down hard, and I mean really hard, on it. I wouldn't tolerate it here – and our black players, who are very friendly with Emre, wouldn't let me.

"In cases where racial abuse is proved though I'd like to see players banned for a season. Let it finish their careers. Most bad things only end when society starts punishing them severely enough. We've got to be strong on it."

And particularly as it is not so long since Nolberto Solano, was persistently called a "Paki" by his marker throughout a game. When informed afterwards "I'm Peruvian, actually", by Newcastle's right winger, the opponent seemingly responded: "Same thing innit."

Anyone know anything about that?

I'd love it if after making up the allegations against Emre out of spite, they got done for racism themselves.