Toon Reserves

Guest Buds 87

Guest Buds 87

Alright folks.

St Mirren fan here. Heard word that the Saints are looking to sign a couple of NUFC reserves till the end of the season. Names are Carl Finnigan and Chris Shanks. These lads any good?

Any info gratefully digested.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
Guest Geordiesned

2-1 victory over Blackburn at Whitley Park tonight thanks to a Ranger solo effort and contraversial injury time penalty from Doninger.

Guest Geordiesned

from nufc.com:

Doninger ruins Rovers return

Newcastle Res  2  Blackburn Res  1

A controversial injury-time penalty from Mark Doninger gave Newcastle Reserves their first win of the season after Ryan Donaldson was upended on the edge of the area.

Rovers went ahead in the third minute when O'Keefe scored in the rain at Whitley Park. The visitors also hit the bar but our lot could have got back on terms on three occasions before the break.

Newcastle levelled five minutes after half time through a solo effort from Nile Ranger, finding the net from ten yards.

NUFC: Krul, Newton (Tavernier 58), Lough, Doninger, Morris, Tozer, Godsmark, Marwood, Ranger (Inman 89), Donaldson, Ferguson (Ameobi 63).

Subs: McDermott, Henderson.

Booked: Morris, Ranger.

Surely not Terry's son back after the Beardsley/Wharton bullying allegations?

Edit: Just checked and it's a Greg McDermott - academy scouser in his first year.

Just got in from the game and it was a drab affair. Before the game the car park had filled up and Hughton and Kinnear went to pull in before being told to go to the next car park :lol:. Hughton used the line 'I'm Chris Hughton' and was let into Blue Flames and the guy at the entrance was told who he was by another steward. The game was poor with Blackburn shading the first half, but neither side looked like creating much. Marcus Marshall, a targetman who was excellent at holding the ball up, and Alan Judge, pacy strong winger with a great cross, were good players for Blackburn. Newcastle's best player was probably Ranger, who took his goal well, producing a low finish after jinking inside the defender. The penalty was dubious, but there was contact in the box after Donaldson had won the ball. Shane Ferguson is weak and gave the ball away nine times out of ten. Krul made 3 great saves otherwise they would have been out of sight at half time. Lough was getting caught out by the ball over the top a lot. Ameobi did nothing when he was brought on. Godsmark is all pace and Marwood and Doninger are average. Ranger is used as a target man, but his dribbling is actually quite good aswell.

Julio Santa Cruz was decent for them, but when the rain started he vanished from the game.

Don't really post on here much, prefer just to read other peoples posts, but I'm pretty sure Greg McDermott is Terry's youngest son. I know this because my girl friend used to go to school with him and i pestered her enough to ask him what his dads real job at the club was!

Just got in from the game and it was a drab affair. Before the game the car park had filled up and Hughton and Kinnear went to pull in before being told to go to the next car park :lol:. Hughton used the line 'I'm Chris Hughton' and was let into Blue Flames and the guy at the entrance was told who he was by another steward. The game was poor with Blackburn shading the first half, but neither side looked like creating much. Marcus Marshall, a targetman who was excellent at holding the ball up, and Alan Judge, pacy strong winger with a great cross, were good players for Blackburn. Newcastle's best player was probably Ranger, who took his goal well, producing a low finish after jinking inside the defender. The penalty was dubious, but there was contact in the box after Donaldson had won the ball. Shane Ferguson is weak and gave the ball away nine times out of ten. Krul made 3 great saves otherwise they would have been out of sight at half time. Lough was getting caught out by the ball over the top a lot. Ameobi did nothing when he was brought on. Godsmark is all pace and Marwood and Doninger are average. Ranger is used as a target man, but his dribbling is actually quite good aswell.

Julio Santa Cruz was decent for them, but when the rain started he vanished from the game.

i've just got back as well, i thought it turned into a cracking match in the 2nd half,  NUFC were much improved after a poor show in the first half against a bigger and stronger Blackburn side who after taking the lead early on and then hitting the bar could've been out of sight without some fine saves by Krul.  We only had one real chance in the 1st half when Godsmark went thru and their keeper made a good save.  NUFC then came out in the 2nd half and in a downpour got stuck into Rovers pressing them higher up the pitch, Ranger taking his goal well, good quick feet and fine finish.  Penalty award was right in front of me and was a clear pen despite the arguments from the blackburn players, virtually the only player not protesting was there keeper as he knew he took Donaldson not the ball.  Think we just about deserved the win for our 2nd half performance. 

Terry Mac was watching again, presumably the young Mcdermott is his son,  the whole bench and young Conor Newton who played right back were from the under 16 team!!  The young lad had a decent game and was getting better as the game went on and i was slightly suprised that he was subbed, the young lad Tavernier who replaced him also done ok.

Will agree with Robbo that their number 7 Judge looked a good player and was probably best player on the pitch although i'd give Krul man of the match for a excellent all round display of goalkeeping.  The lad is absolute class.

Watching reserve team football is excellent. You get to see what is coming through and it gives you a good overview of the way things are going and who looks like they can make it to the first team.

You also get in for nowt (ST holders), and you get in and out with no traffic hell.