New January Transfer Window Thread

Guest nufc 4 life

Ashley Young is signing for Villa for 9.65 million pounds according to ESPN, thats a bit pricey isn't it!!!!

Yep. But when you've got a billionaire owner who's obviously itching to spend money, prices do get inflated, plus there's no point having the money if you're not prepared to spend what it takes to get what you want.

Nice attempt at trying to justify blowing a fortune on an average player.

More gossip:

Spurs want Duff  :lol:

Smogs have bid £4m for Aliadiere (sp?) hope this ones true!

Brum want up to £8m for Upson as Arsenal have a sell on clause, thats about 4 times what he is worth!!

I hope Upson sees his contract out and leaves for free.

I'd laugh my tits off if he picked up another injury tbh (i know thats not nice, but Brum are being total cunts not selling him and demanding Coleman prices)

Ashley Young is signing for Villa for 9.65 million pounds according to ESPN, thats a bit pricey isn't it!!!!

Yep. But when you've got a billionaire owner who's obviously itching to spend money, prices do get inflated, plus there's no point having the money if you're not prepared to spend what it takes to get what you want.

tbf Brummie has admitted before he thinks they are paying over the odds for Young.

Whether he's average or not is a different matter, but I'd have thought my reference to prices getting inflated and spending what it takes made it pretty clear I know we're paying too much.

If it didn't, then I'll say it now. We're paying more than he is worth. However, I'll temper this with the fact that we've emerged from decades of tightarse Ellis and a situation totally the opposite to a situation where we *can* pay over the odds if it gets us what we want.

See my mention of same point on the Milner thread.

EDIT - and the market for English players is *absurd*. See 18m for Richards, 18 for Carrick, 10 for Davies etc etc

Guest Knightrider

Yep, English prices are manic and stupid. Thinking back now, you could have had yourself a real bargain in Milner and the overinflated price we did pay for him is now looking like good money well spent.

Whether he's average or not is a different matter, but I'd have thought my reference to prices getting inflated and spending what it takes made it pretty clear I know we're paying too much.

If it didn't, then I'll say it now. We're paying more than he is worth. However, I'll temper this with the fact that we've emerged from decades of tightarse Ellis and a situation totally the opposite to a situation where we *can* pay over the odds if it gets us what we want.

See my mention of same point on the Milner thread.

EDIT - and the market for English players is *absurd*. See 18m for Richards, 18 for Carrick, 10 for Davies etc etc

Welcome to Newcastle World, paying over the odds is our thing :D

Didn't Brummie say earlier in the season he would expect the finished article and not potential for £10 million when we paid that for Martins?

Yes, I did.

However, I've pointed out several times that we're paying too much for Young. And the fee is 8m plus 1.65 based on performance - stuff like playing for England. If he plays for England, then we'll have got a good player.

I also said a few posts back that the inflation factor for English players is absurd.

Don't see any inconsistency there.

Didn't Brummie say earlier in the season he would expect the finished article and not potential for £10 million when we paid that for Martins?

Yes, I did.

However, I've pointed out several times that we're paying too much for Young. And the fee is 8m plus 1.65 based on performance - stuff like playing for England. If he plays for England, then we'll have got a good player.

I also said a few posts back that the inflation factor for English players is absurd.

Plenty of bad players play(ed) for England, one cap doesn't mean they become a mint player overnight.

Danny Mills reached nearly 30 caps FFS, JJ is actually in this squad, and Heskey was a 1st team player at one stage.

There are many others, we could go on for days about the shite which have been capped for England.

Guest Invicta_Toon

pop quiz mofo's

who recently said this:

"We had three centre-backs out yesterday but the January market is notoriously difficult in terms of quality players available"

Yes, I did.

Plenty of bad players play(ed) for England, one cap doesn't mean they become a mint player overnight.

Danny Mills reached nearly 30 caps FFS, JJ is actually in this squad, and Heskey was a 1st team player at one stage.

There are many others, we could go on for days about the shite which have been capped for England.

Quite true. In fairness, a lot of players who have looked shite for England have looked quality for their clubs, though.

pop quiz mofo's

who recently said this:

"We had three centre-backs out yesterday but the January market is notoriously difficult in terms of quality players available"

Probably Jose "blatantly fallen out with the gaffer" Mourinho.

Guest Invicta_Toon

pop quiz mofo's

who recently said this:

Probably Jose "blatantly fallen out with the gaffer" Mourinho.

nope, his boss  :lol:

I've sort of lost track over the last few days.

What's the story if there is one with Lauren? Why the fuck is he at Portsmouth FFS? Did we bid for him? Diop aswell, a great player let go cheap that we yet again miss out on.

Just fucks me off to see lesser clubs get signable players that would no doubt improve our team when we're still signing and basically squad-less!!

Nobby is now our first choice right back so we didn't bid for Lauren.

Diop is gonna cost £5m and is a crock in a position we don't need.

N0bby's done a fantastic job there but soon he'll get exposed as teams identify him as a weakness, which he is in that position. I don't care that he's done well there, get a fucking REAL right back in and Lauren would have been perfect.

How long before Nobby loses the last of his diminishing pace totally? A year or two tops! I can't believe Roeder will make Nobby first choice right back, it's fucking ridiculous. Lauren's got pace, strength, experiance, aggresion and can get up and down the line no trouble when he gets back to full fitness. And it's not like he was expensive either.

As for Diop, is he a crock? Players get injured FFS!! A couple of injuries doesn't make them a crock.. We could re-sign Gary Speed and he could easily break his leg in his first game. Seems people immediately dismiss players just because they have had injuries in the past.

Diop > Parker IMO, and as far as I'm concerned, Diop is in his prime and would be a good foil for Emre or Dyer's role and is a snip at the price he was sold for.

I think Roeder needs to lower his expectations a bit and not be scared to get a few squad players in, he's already proved he can by getting Sibierski.

I'm glad we didn't sign Lauren, he was a decent player before his injury but how good is he now? he'd want a good wage which would mean that if he did turn out to be a worse player after injury then we'd never get rid of him.

Carr mk2 IMHO.

Guest Knightrider

I'm glad we didn't sign Lauren, he was a decent player before his injury but how good is he now? he'd want a good wage which would mean that if he did turn out to be a worse player after injury then we'd never get rid of him.

Carr mk2 IMHO.

Quite possibly, Baggio, I agree.

Five live saying somebody other than Manure, Tottenham have made a £10m bid for Gareth Bale?

not even freddy would be that stupid... a 12 year old defender is the last thing we need right now.

Guest andynufc84

On the day the transfer window shuts, we will all be totally underwhelmed with 2 load signings

What were your thoughts when the news broke....Newcastle have agreed to deal sign Antoine Sibieski (as much as I like him) and Rossi on loan from Man