Liverpool takeover - Off

Dokko

The Dubai Group have pulled out according to SSN's

Two thoughts.

1: This must be the 6th takeover for Liverpool to fall through, so much talk especially over the last 2-3 seasons, i know we are dying for a takeover, our need is greater tbh, but the fans must be pissed off and sick as a chip about this one, so close to unlimited funds like Chelsea.

Now the only new owner will be another American, something they've given Manu fans stick for since the Glazers came in to power.  ;D

2: I wonder if they still want a football club?  O0

Guest sicko2ndbest

I have an idea.

SJH: Fancy buying my shares

SHEIKH: How much

SJH: The club will cost a third of what you were going to pay Liverpool, and we have more potential

SHEIKH: Go on then, where do i sign

(FS bursts through the doors, steak and kidney stain on his shirt)

FS: I want this club, dont let it go out of geordie hands

SJH: F##k off you fat b#stard, i am the main man here

FS (at this point goes mental body slamming SJH)

SHEIKH (Pulling out his samurai, decapitates the fat one): Oh my god the man has gravy instead of blood

SJH: Thank you Sheikh, get Shearer in as gaffer and the world is your oyster

SHEIKH: Shalom my friend, howay the lads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6318091.stm

Gillette back in apparently.

Certainly nowhere near as much money as the Dubai lot.

Gillette was one of the four groups which made offers for Villa.

Interestingly, Ellis has since said that Gillette offered more than Lerner, but he turned him down as he thought what he proposed wasn't as good for the club as Lerner's propositions.

Given Ellis' well-earned reputation as a man who likes money more than most, what does this say about the way he read Gillette's motives?

Interesting.

I have an idea.

SJH: Fancy buying my shares

SHEIKH: How much

SJH: The club will cost a third of what you were going to pay Liverpool, and we have more potential

SHEIKH: Go on then, where do i sign

(FS bursts through the doors, steak and kidney stain on his shirt)

FS: I want this club, dont let it go out of geordie hands

SJH: F##k off you fat b#stard, i am the main man here

FS (at this point goes mental body slamming SJH)

SHEIKH (Pulling out his samurai, decapitates the fat one): Oh my god the man has gravy instead of blood

SJH: Thank you Sheikh, get Shearer in as gaffer and the world is your oyster

SHEIKH: Shalom my friend, howay the lads

A Hebrew speaking, Ninja Sheikh. Whodathunkit. :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6318091.stm

Gillette back in apparently.

Certainly nowhere near as much money as the Dubai lot.

Gillette was one of the four groups which made offers for Villa.

Interestingly, Ellis has since said that Gillette offered more than Lerner, but he turned him down as he thought what he proposed wasn't as good for the club as Lerner's propositions.

Given Ellis' well-earned reputation as a man who likes money more than most, what does this say about the way he read Gillette's motives?

Interesting.

hmmmmmm

Two thoughts.

1: This must be the 6th takeover for Liverpool to fall through, so much talk especially over the last 2-3 seasons, i know we are dying for a takeover, our need is greater tbh, but the fans must be pissed off and sick as a chip about this one, so close to unlimited funds like Chelsea.

Now the only new owner will be another American, something they've given Manu fans stick for since the Glazers came in to power.  ;D

that was a turn off for some, they didn't want the accusations leveled at them the way it has been Chelsea, that they are buying rather than achieving success.

Funny thing is tho eh, Liverpool don't do too badly with the owner they have now  ;)

We'll see what Mr Gillett does, thank fec its the Montreal Canadiens he owns, and not the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Guest getalife

Mmmmm....... right after they allowed Masscherano to head to Scouseland after all, the backers pull out..... Coincidence? ???

Guest Knightrider

I've read and been told a few things about this DIC - they are no Abramovic and if LFC's board say no, then there must be a rabbit off because I think LFC's board would only sell if the deal was good for the club.

I've read and been told a few things about this DIC - they are no Abramovic and if LFC's board say no, then there must be a rabbit off because I think LFC's board would only sell if the deal was good for the club.

Aye, it was never gonna be like Abramovich in the bottomless pit of cash way. That had been made clear. They would run it as a business, not as a hobby.

I would like to think David Moores has the best interest of the club at heart.

I guess the Dubai Group where fed up of waiting, now that Gillett has come back in, although there are so many stories going about, one being that Liverpool never actually got a formal offer from them anyway.

So who knows.

Two thoughts.

that was a turn off for some, they didn't want the accusations leveled at them the way it has been Chelsea, that they are buying rather than achieving success.

Funny thing is tho eh, Liverpool don't do too badly with the owner they have now  ;)

We'll see what Mr Gillett does, thank fec its the Montreal Canadiens he owns, and not the Toronto Maple Leafs.

:knuppel2:  >:( 

*TOONrontonian I am.  ;) 

*TOONrontonian I am.   ;) 

hehe, sorry!

I don't like the Leafs at all, Habs are my 'Canadian' team.

Although my true hockey love are New York Rangers  :-[ I'm a glutton for punishment!

*TOONrontonian I am.  ;) 

hehe, sorry!

I don't like the Leafs at all, Habs are my 'Canadian' team.

Although my true hockey love are New York Rangers  :-[ I'm a glutton for punishment!

At least with 'Pool you win trophy's and Les Habitant won a cup in the 90's (as did the Rangers). 

Either of "my teams" haven't had a sniff of success in decades.  Born a Geordie, grew up in Toronto.  I was too young to enjoy the Blue Jay's World Series win's, as well.  Good times indeed.  :'(

Wouldn't want it to be any other way.  :) ;)

News of a new suitor for Liverpool appeared in the Dallas Morning News today.  Tom Hicks, the owner of the Dallas Stars ice hockey team and the Texas Rangers, is apparently going into partnership with Gillette (who also owns the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team) to purchase Liverpool for $450M.

Hicks to buy into Liverpool

Rangers/Stars owner will pay $225 million for share of storied soccer team

01:05 PM CST on Thursday, February 1, 2007

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

[email protected]

In what may well set a precedent for North American sports franchise owners, Rangers and Stars boss Tom Hicks is entering into an agreement with Montreal Canadiens owner George Gillett Jr. to purchase one of the most storied teams in the British Premiership soccer league.

According to a source, Hicks has agreed to go half-and-half with Gillett on the $450 million purchase of Liverpool Football Club. Hicks' investment will rival the $250 million he paid for the Rangers when he purchased them in 1998. A formal announcement of the deal could be made early next week.

In a history that dates back to 1892, Liverpool has won 18 league championships and five European Cup. Liverpool, currently in third place in the Premiership standings, last captured the European Cup in 2005.

Hicks, 60, was in the United Kingdom this week and was expected back in the United States late Thursday.

Tom Hicks has owned the Stars since 1995, and the Rangers since 1998. Hicks and Gillett were together at last week's NHL All-Star Game where, according to a source, the partnership idea picked up steam. Hicks and Gillett have also worked together on the Swift Company executive board.

It is believed to be, however, the first time two major sports owners have gone into partnership on another franchise.

Gillett's bid to take over the club has been well-documented. He was the underdog to Dubai International Capital, but, according to the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph, DIC withdrew its bid on Tuesday.

"We are very disappointed," Sameer Al Ansari, executive chairman and chief executive officer of DIC, told the Telegraph. "DIC is a serious investor with considerable resources at its disposal. At the same time, we are supporters – of the game and of the club. We proposed a deal that would provide the club with the funds it needs on and off the pitch."

"We have a duty as directors to consider a very interesting bid from George Gillett," Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry told the Liverpool Echo.

"The DIC response to this was to give the club 12 hours to make a decision but the chairman was not prepared to have Liverpool Football Club bullied like that."

Hicks will join a growing number of U.S. sports owners investing in the British Premiership. Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer purchased Manchester United, the Premiership's version of the New York Yankees. Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner invested in the Aston Villa franchise, a lower-echelon Premiership club. Revenues for the upper-level Premiership clubs, including Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal all are believed to be in line with those generated by NFL franchises.

THOMAS O. HICKS

What he does: Chairman and CEO of Hicks Holdings LLC, a Dallas-based private investment firm, which owns and manages the Thomas and Cinda Hicks family sports and real estate assets and makes corporate acquisitions. … Sports ownership holdings include the Texas Rangers, the Dallas Stars and 50 percent interest in American Airlines Center. … In addition, the firm is a partner with Hillwood Development Company in the Victory Park project in downtown Dallas, and is also the co-developer of Glorypark, a 75-acre urban town center adjacent to Ameriquest Field in Arlington whose neighbor will soon be the new Cowboys stadium.

Education: BBA from the University of Texas (1968) and MBA from Southern California (1970)

Family: Wife Cinda and six children