England-Spain

Yorkie

Guest smoggeordie

England was poor yesterday

were

Grammatically, England was poor yesterday, is actually the correct version. 'England' is not a plural. To say, England were poor yesterday, you would have to say 'the England players'.

[/pedant]

England (national team) is plural.

England (as a country) is singular.

England were struggling to hit the ball off the square...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6287095.stm

The disappointing thing was that England were absolutely cruising until Holland...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6152906.stm

England were booed off at full-time...

....etc etc etc

Put 'England was' into Word. ;)

It's like you have to have a bloody English degree before you can post on here nowadays.  ;)

Don't stress, i was just kidding. TECHNICALLY, and very very technically, and with perfect grammar, it's 'England was'. Only in sports language would you saw 'England were'. Which is why i put a comical '[/pedant]' at the end of my post.

Wish i hadn't said anything.

Normally, the word England means the country, but in this context, it refers to 11 players. One is singular, the other plural. 'England were' feels much more comfortable to me.

(Must remember to get a life some time)

it's like you have to have a bloody English degree before you can post on here nowadays.  ;)

i know its like most people do a days work... go home have a few cold ones and couldent spell to save their lives....then get blasted on the forums for no reason...other than having an opinion on which we cant spell...............are there goths on here now or something