England - Best XI

Howaythelads

Guest kingdawson

Dyer is the best player in the world at rapidly linking up the midfield with the attack.

Shut the f*** up!

Name a better player at doing that from a central position.

Kaka.

riquelme, scholes, Rooney, D'allesandro, Robinho, Shneider, van der vaart, deco

I'm interested to know what people think Ferdinand and Terry have actually got what Woodgate hasn't? Woodgate is consistently superb week in and week out when he is fit and now he is consistently fit as well *touch wood*. Woodgate is a superb reader of the game, has plenty of pace, brilliant man marker, good in the air, good passer of the ball, and he makes all those defenders around him play better. You never really see him give silly free kicks away and get booked. He is world class. The only thing Terry has over him is he is better in the air. Terry is overrated imo. And i am not saying he isn't a great defender because he is a great defender, but i do think he is overrated partly because of his goalscoring exploits. Defensively he can be suspect at times, although in the main he is usually quality. He isn't the quickest either. Ferdinand is an excellent defender and is a bit different from anything else we have. His concentration can go at times though. When Ferdinand is fully focused though he is world class. I still think Woody is the best we have out of the lot though because i don't see a weakness on the pitch with him. Thats my opinion anyway.

If the World Cup was tomorrow and we had a fully fit England to choose from...

Goalkeepers

1. David James

13. Paul Robinson

23. Ben Foster

I never really was a fan of David James when he was in the England set-up. However, i feel that the criticism of him is maybe harsh, even down to him being dropped, considering how let-off Paul Robinson has been for his incompetence. The two of them should both go, followed by Ben Foster, who has been excellent this season and will be one of the Premiership's best in a few years to come.

Defenders

2. Micah Richards

22. Gary Neville

5. John Terry

6. Rio Ferdinand

12. Jonathan Woodgate

14. Ledley King

3. Ashley Cole

15. Jamie Carragher

I think the most striking omission from this defense list, is that there is no immediate second left-back. I feel that we do not need one, that one likely to be Wayne Bridge, if it means including five centre-backs of that quality. Jamie Carragher is very versatile aswell, and i think Richards is capable of playing on the left so it adds up.

Midfielders

7. Aaron Lennon

16. James Milner

4. Steven Gerrard

8. Owen Hargreaves

17. Frank Lampard

18. Paul Scholes

11. Joe Cole

19. Gareth Barry

Yes i'd agree with you HTL, Paul Scholes back in there, purely based on this season's performances. He has been simply excellent for Man Utd, having recreated some of his best form of the early deceade/nineties. I was against bringing him back earlier on, but i'd really love it. His passing ability, linking the forwards, spreading the play - is second to none. Simple as. James Milner being the other surprise inclusion, but for me, there's arguably been no better English right-winger in the league this season. He's better than SWP and more appropriate than Beckham anyway.

Bringing Beckham back would be suicidal. He wasn't good enough when he was last playing for the team - what do you think he'll be like after 6 months of turmoil perched on the bench? Pointless.

Strikers

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Michael Owen

20. Peter Crouch

21. Andy Johnson

Rooney is England when he plays to be perfectly honest - he gives us that extra added quality, it's as simple as that. We're a far worse team without him. Owen, world class striker. Peter Crouch - good impact player. Andy Johnson - better than Defoe. Defoe's never done it in an England shirt, and he is far too inconsistent. He does absolutely nothing from the bench, whereas i think Johnson probably will.

Starting Line-Up

James

Richards --- Terry --- Ferdinand --- A Cole

Lennon --- Gerrard --- Hargreaves --- J Cole

Rooney --- Owen

I'm sick to death of seeing Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard in the same team as each other - one of them has to be dropped, it's as simple as that. We have to think about England, and England's success, not the egos of two of the country's most inflated and wealthy players. Lampard will spit his dummy out, but he's been monumentally shit for England for ages and he's got the wrong attitude. And i feel Gerrard brings more to a team anyway. His range of passing ability is far better and he knows his duties.

Neville is too slow and cannot bomb forward like he used to. I think we are holding back our wingers by playing Gary Neville, whereas Richards is sublime at bombing forward and he also offers a goal threat. He's got far more going for him than Neville. Also, you look at some of the goals we conceded in the World Cup last year - we were shite from set pieces. Gary Neville's lack of height and sheer headless-chickenness that he often possesses, is not going to help. Richards meanwhile is tall and is good with his head.

Lennon and Joe Cole, both players who are excellent at beating their men, getting into the box, and offering a goal threat from various areas. Rooney/Owen, unarguable.

England have got a cracking team if it's played correctly.

Dyer is the best player in the world at rapidly linking up the midfield with the attack.

Are you being serious?

Name any player who can do it better. Not wide right or wide left, but through the middle.

for a start, Kaka, Anderson(Porto), Riquelme, Aimar, Scholes, Iniesta, Ronaldinho(Can & has played centrally), Totti, Nedved(plays centrally for Czech Republic),

Would need to change the shape of the team to 4-2-3-1, and mine would be:

James

Richards  Terry  Woodgate  Cole

Hargreaves King

Gerrard Scholes Cole

Rooney

Who the f*** is King?

Ledley?

In midfield ffs.

YES, Ledley King, the time he played there for England as the holding midfielder player he was very impressive, turned in a man of the match display, so as id play with two holding midfield players, and think Carrick is shite, then YES i would play Ledley King alongside Hargreaves, allowing good cover for the defence whilst the 3 attacking midfield players support the lone striker.

He's not shit, he's just utterly timid and gutless.

He's probably a better passer than any midfielder England have, if you considering passing as more than 60 yard Hollywood balls.

He's not s***, he's just utterly timid and gutless.

He's probably a better passer than any midfielder England have, if you considering passing as more than 60 yard Hollywood balls.

lol,

Stevie G loves a hollywood ball too, Lampard tires them often, but like his 679 shots per game, they are usually way off target!

lennon has to start.

look at this video.

<No thanks. Youtube links are not allowed. Admin.>

his final ball is improving.

Guest Knightrider

I'm looking more towards the future so...

Foster

Richards King *Woodgate A.Cole

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

*If fully fit and back to their best.

I've left out Terry because I don't think he's as good at this level as he's cracked up to be, he's never convinced me anyway, where as Ferdinand lacks the strength and heading ability. King one the otherhand has all the attributes and is a superb all-rounder with pace, power, passing, reads the game well, is strong and good in the air and commands/leads too. Woodgate when fit and on form is as good as any CB in the world. Reo-Coker is ideal for this level, he's quick, has bags of energy, very disciplined, tidy on the ball and will sit there all day and protect. Lennon for his pace and unpredictability to stretch defences, Gerrard for his drive and all-round brilliance (he'd be my Captain) and Joe Cole because he's developed into a top-class international who while not left-footed, is one of those players who are better at coming in onto their right, defenders hate players like that (in Cole we have a full-back who will bomb on past his namesake and exploit the space vacated by Joe Cole's infield movement). Up top Rooney goes without saying as does Owen. Foster is a better 'keeper than Robinson and can only improve more. Richards will provide muscle to Lennon's nimbleness down that right flank, as well as height and pace.

Foster

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

I've left out Terry because I don't think he's as good at this level as he's cracked up to be, he's never convinced me anyway, where as Ferdinand lacks the strength and heading ability. King one the otherhand has all the attributes and is a superb all-rounder with pace, power, passing, reads the game well, is strong and good in the air and commands/leads too. Woodgate when fit and on form is as good as any CB in the world. Reo-Coker is ideal for this level, he's quick, has bags of energy, very disciplined, tidy on the ball and will sit there all day and protect. Lennon for his pace and unpredictability to stretch defences, Gerrard for his drive and all-round brilliance (he'd be my Captain) and Joe Cole because he's developed into a top-class international who while not left-footed, is one of those players who are better at coming in onto their right, defenders hate players like that (in Cole we have a full-back who will bomb on past his namesake and exploit the space vacated by Joe Cole's infield movement). Up top Rooney goes without saying as does Owen. Foster is a better 'keeper than Robinson and can only improve more. Richards will provide muscle to Lennon's nimbleness down that right flank, as well as height and pace.

For a self-proclaimed coach, some dubious picks. Saying that the Manager picks the team. :o

Guest Knightrider

Foster

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

For a self-proclaimed coach, some dubious picks. Saying that the Manager picks the team. :o

Every player is in there on merit, it is easy to pick the 11 bestest players but the best players don't always make a team the best. England are prime example of that. If you like I can go into detail as to why I chose those players and what benefits each would bring to the team, so you'll then understand why I've picked the players I have.

Foster

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

Every player is in there on merit, it is easy to pick the 11 bestest players but the best players don't always make a team the best. England are prime example of that. If you like I can go into detail as to why I chose those players and what benefits each would bring to the team, so you'll then understand why I've picked the players I have.

It's cool, your opinion and all that. The only "real" gripes I have is King and Lennon, who I think are generally overrated garbage. Also, there is a lack of Lampard.

I do agree Reo-Coker should be in the squad at the least. Also, Richards could be the sucessor to Neville in a few years.

Guest Knightrider

Foster

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

It's cool, your opinion and all that. The only "real" gripes I have is King and Lennon, who I think are generally overrated garbage. Also, there is a lack of Lampard.

I do agree Reo-Coker should be in the squad at the least. Also, Richards could be the sucessor to Neville in a few years.

That's OK man. I think Lennon and King are overrated too BTW, but then I think the same of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard etc. I think Milner is a better player at the moment than Lennon, but I'd rather have Lennon in my team at international level.

There are better players than Reo-Coker, like Hargreaves and Carrick, our own Parker even, but I like him and like his attributes which are ideal for the position I'd play him in for England, or rather the role.

Guest Knightrider

For West Ham, he's the Gerrard to your Reo Coker in that lineup.

Mullins is the one behind him.

But not for the under-21s which is where he has impressed me most and shown himself to be the most capable. As an attacking or central midfielder Reo-Coker is similar to Dyer but without the ball carrying skills or attacking potency, he's a limited passer over 20-30 yards and doesn't get himself into the box or create and score enough, if at all. His best role is in the Makalele area of the pitch, sitting and protecting like he did when Huddlestone went off the other night. Prior to that he was anonymous. He has endless energy, is a give and take type of player who reads things well, he doesn't dive in and his pace is a great interceptor of space or the ball as it allows him to nick loose balls or occupy space that others have vacated or the opposition has manoeuvred into. For pressing play he's ideal and the perfect player at international level for that role. Very similar to Makalele.

Guest kingdawson

Foster

Reo-Coker

Lennon Gerrard *J.Cole

Rooney *Owen

Good team but i dont know about Reo coker as a holding midfielder. Would rather play Barton in that role (even though thats also not he's rightful position)