Newcastle versus the "Big Boys"

They finished above us, so they must be better, no? Therefore in theory, technically etc. they are better than us. And picking up results against teams finishing above us last season is an improvement.

Obviously in reality terms I think otherwise but in that sense it's true.

He said "big boys" meaning the big clubs that consistently finish above us, not a couple of clubs that have done it once or twice in 15 years.  ^-^

We are the 6th best team in England ever when looking at all-time top-flight point haul.

That means that as we have come an average of 8th/9th under Shepherd, that would say that his chairmanship has been below average.

I think you're confused again.... :coolsmiley:

Where exactly am I confused? Our average position under Shepherd has been 8.5th, while we feature at 6th place in the all-time top-flight league table. That means that Shepherd has been a below average Newcastle chairman.

They finished above us, so they must be better, no? Therefore in theory, technically etc. they are better than us. And picking up results against teams finishing above us last season is an improvement.

He said "big boys" meaning the big clubs that consistently finish above us, not a couple of clubs that have done it once or twice in 15 years.  ^-^

We are the 6th best team in England ever when looking at all-time top-flight point haul.

That means that as we have come an average of 8th/9th under Shepherd, that would say that his chairmanship has been below average.

Where exactly am I confused? Our average position under Shepherd has been 8.5th, while we feature at 6th place in the all-time top-flight league table. That means that Shepherd has been a below average Newcastle chairman.

Why is he below average?

Because we had a couple of good seasons 10 years ago, and we haven't lived up to it?

I'll play along.........

What makes you think I have any interest in these stats? Have I ever posted them or even responded to them?  :coolsmiley:

Since you point out Shephard is an average Chairman are you suggesting I believe he's a great Chairman? Where have I ever said Shepherd is a great Chairman?  :laugh:

Next.....

Why is he below average?

Because we had a couple of good seasons 10 years ago, and we haven't lived up to it?

Because his results have been worse than the average results during the history of NUFC.

I'll play along.........

What makes you think I have any interest in these stats? Have I ever posted them or even responded to them?  :coolsmiley:

Since you point out Shephard is an average Chairman are you suggesting I believe he's a great Chairman? Where have I ever said Shepherd is a great Chairman?  :laugh:

Next.....

Do you not use Shepherd's average league form as a reason to defend him? Or maybe that is someone else. Regardless, I thought it was a fact worth pointing out to those who feel that Shepherd is a better chairman than all of those we have had in our history.

I'll play along.........

Next.....

Do you not use Shepherd's average league form as a reason to defend him? Or maybe that is someone else. Regardless, I thought it was a fact worth pointing out to those who feel that Shepherd is a better chairman than all of those we have had in our history.

mackems.gif

Against the actual big boys (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd) We've already picked up 5 points and we're still to play a few of them. Still not bad.

Agreed. I just can't imagine where spurs and Blackburn came from. Most odd.

If by "big boys", we mean last season's top 6 of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs & Blackburn...

Now what part of that is so hard to understand?

Against the actual big boys (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd) We've already picked up 5 points and we're still to play a few of them. Still not bad.

If by "big boys", we mean last season's top 6 of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs & Blackburn...

Apparently, it's the "last season's top 6" part...

Guest nearlynearly

Man U 2-0 NUFC

L'pool 2-0 NUFC

Arsenal 1-1 NUFC

Blackburn 1-3 NUFC

Chelsea 1-0 NUFC

NUFC 3-1 Spurs

NUFC 2-2 Man U

Spurs 2-3 NUFC

NUFC 2-1 L'pool

P9, W4, D2, L3, F 14, A13, Pts 14.

Pretty respectable.

Aye man but we are now satisfied with respectable

What aboot when that lot were was including us lot?

If wah not careful we will be permanaently mid table plodders

At no point does he state that, to be frank.

WUM's tbh

Man U 2-0 NUFC

L'pool 2-0 NUFC

Arsenal 1-1 NUFC

Blackburn 1-3 NUFC

Chelsea 1-0 NUFC

NUFC 3-1 Spurs

NUFC 2-2 Man U

Spurs 2-3 NUFC

NUFC 2-1 L'pool

P9, W4, D2, L3, F 14, A13, Pts 14.

Pretty respectable.

We seem to raise our game when playing the bigger clubs.  Why can't we beat the Fulham's of the world?

Because against the 'big' clubs the players motivate themselves - it proves 100% that Roeder is having trouble lifting the players when we can't beat Brum over 180 mins and the game v Fulham we were fucking awful for all but the last few minutes (nobby) conceeding an average of 2 goals per game since Boxing Day.

It's why Roeder should be given his cards when the final bal lof this season is kicked