Scott Parker - magnificent against Liverpool

Guest Knightrider

players like parker and taylor really seem to thrive on these hard, dog-fight games in terrible conditions. it seems to give them an extra reason to fight like mad!

absolute class - if that is the parker we'll see for the rest of the season, things are bound to improve!

He has came in for a lot of criticism this season, some justified, some not, but yesterday we saw what Parker is capable of - bossing a midfield containing such powerhouses as Gerrard and Sissoko - I thought he was brilliant overall, although he faded in the second half. Attacking, defending, keeping the ball, he did all those things really well and had a stormer. His season has been interupted but hopefully his niggly injuries are over with and he can carry on putting in such performances in the remaining games.

I agree, he was class.

I think that Parker had really good game.Gave 100% as usual,always fighting like a true captain

He didnt lose the ball too easily like he did in the previous games which is really important

I just hope that he stays fit and build his fitness which will improve his form O0

Hope this gets pointed out on the Legends tomorrow. The silence is deafening when Parker has a great game and someone praises him. If MacDonald can't throw any criticism in about his performance then he just shuts up all together. I'm not one of those people who actually follow the thought that the reason we went on a run towards the end of last season was because of Parker being injured. Recently we've won games against the likes of Spurs and Liverpool with Parker in the team and we got a very good draw against Manure as well. An on form Parker is one of our biggest assets IMO.

Sounds like a few posters on here who still seem to have a blindspot for this thread :lol:

Where are all the Parker bashers... ;)

Still doing a Wenger by the looks of it. Notice HTL has been bashing him in a few other threads over the last couple of days but hasn't posted in this one. Interesting...

Conditions yesteray suited his style of play although he has looked batter for the last few games, there is no doubting he went though a sticly patch. Nowhere near the player he was at Charlton but still a very valuable player for us.

Guest Knightrider

Where are all the Parker bashers... ;)

Still doing a Wenger by the looks of it. Notice HTL has been bashing him in a few other threads over the last couple of days but hasn't posted in this one. Interesting...

Like I said previously on, I defy anyone to sit down and watch Parker's performance against Liverpool and say he isn't good enough for Newcastle United. This is just one performance of course, but he can play like that regularly without a doubt and we haven't seen the very best of him yet. I've always known he could do those kind of jobs, while Butt was wandering about in midfield trying to get close to Gerrard and failing, Parker who was deployed as the attacking CM and Butt the DCM, took charge and ended up doing two jobs really because he supported the attack well too and played the ball well anarl.

Perhaps what we've seen are the long term effects that glandular fever can have. It can be really nasty by all accounts and what that could do to an athletes performance is anyones guess. He certainly seemed back to his old self on Saturday.

Guest Knightrider

Conditions yesteray suited his style of play although he has looked batter for the last few games, there is no doubting he went though a sticly patch. Nowhere near the player he was at Charlton but still a very valuable player for us.

The first sticky patch coincided with a switch in plans, which saw Parker switched from DCM which Souness used him in to ACM which Roeder seems to prefer him in, eventually he came to terms with it though hence more goals and more assists, although IMO he's better suited to DCM. The second sticky patch is down to being in and out of the side this season due to various niggly injuries that have made it a stop start season for him where on his return, by the time he was getting going again, he's pick up another injury. That and not yet being fully over the fatigue sapping glandular fever that ended his season last year, an illness which can actually take 2 years to get over and even then, will remain in his system for life. People underestimate the effect that can have on someone, especially an ethlete who relies on stamina and being able to get from box to box game by game.

In recent weeks Parker is looking fitter, stronger and more shaper and as a result is having a big say in match and our end of season run and long may it continue.

A lot of typical daft assumptions being made in this thread by people who should know better. Never mind.

Parker was better on Saturday than usual but saying he was excellent is going well over the top, but he wasn't crap. He still commited himself too early too often. He still dwelled on the ball too much which was the worst thing, Dyer gesticulating at him in frustration at one point as he strolled back from offside when Parker eventually played the ball despite having plenty of time to play it earlier. He tries to do what he doesn't have the ability to do needing to recognise his limitations and adjust accordingly. If he did he might improve.

If many of you think his performance was excellent then I think your expectations have been well and truly lowered because that was below what we should be aiming for, ie the likes of Speed and Rob Lee performance levels because that's what it'll take to get us back up near the top seriously challenging. Workmanlike is not enough to get us far enough and that is what Parker is...workmanlike.

I won't bother listing the players who have had the odd game better than their norm', I'd be here all day.

I'll now put the tin hat on as no doubt here comes a torrent of abuse.......

Guest Knightrider

A lot of typical daft assumptions being made in this thread by people who should know better. Never mind.

Parker was better on Saturday than usual but saying he was excellent is going well over the top, but he wasn't crap. He still commited himself too early too often. He still dwelled on the ball too much which was the worst thing, Dyer gesticulating at him in frustration at one point as he strolled back from offside when Parker eventually played the ball despite having plenty of time to play it earlier. He tries to do what he doesn't have the ability to do needing to recognise his limitations and adjust accordingly. If he did he might improve.

If many of you think his performance was excellent then I think your expectations have been well and truly lowered because that was below what we should be aiming for, ie the likes of Speed and Rob Lee performance levels because that's what it'll take to get us back up near the top seriously challenging. Workmanlike is not enough to get us far enough and that is what Parker is...workmanlike.

I won't bother listing the players who have had the odd game better than their norm', I'd be here all day.

You don't nitpick at others' games...

:(

You don't nitpick at others' games...

That's because people aren't constantly spurting over other players, claiming they're vastly better than they really are.

Example: You must remember the brilliant Jeenarse surely? Someone else people spurted over and called me worse than shit over. Winning the Young Player of the Year award being one reason why Jeenarse was fantastic according to some. Now he's crap of course.

:(

Translated into a football related constructive comment means that you don't agree with me, right? So what are your constructive football related thoughts, mel?

I've told you WHY I think he's not good enough and I'll expand on it. Do you dispute my opinion that he doesn't move the ball on quickly enough or do you think it doesn't matter anyway? Imo a DM of quality needs to do that. The ability to receive the ball and move it on quickly is essential, he's got to learn to take a look before he receives the pass but he doesn't do it, whichis why he then dwells on it and spins like a top half the time. Just watch him and you'll see, he never takes that look, he's never aware of what's on before he gets the ball. He also shouldn't need to throw himself into so many tackles, the reason he does is because he doesn't read the game well enough. Sometimes yes, and in every match yes, but not as often as Parker does. 

As an attacking/creative midfielder do you think he stands comparision even with Emre and Dyer, never mind the creative midfielders at the top clubs in the country? Just pick the top 4 clubs and look at their players who play those roles.

In my opinion he's trying to do an all round job like Scholes does but a comparison like that is a joke really because Scoles is a world class footballer. Parker is a one season wonder.

By the way, I've seen Saturday's match twice now.

Over to your for your opinioin.....

Most people, myself included, felt Parker had a fine game - an 8/10. Excellent, at times, my MOM, though I'll happily admit it wasn't an amazing performance or anything like that. His passion and commitment during the match was admirable.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's just one a fair few don't agree with. You nitpick certain moments, which is fair enough, but then again every player - even 10/10 performers - have something one can nitpick.

Most people, myself included, felt Parker had a fine game - an 8/10. Excellent, at times, my MOM, though I'll happily admit it wasn't an amazing performance or anything like that. His passion and commitment during the match was admirable.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's just one a fair few don't agree with. You nitpick certain moments, which is fair enough, but then again every player - even 10/10 performers - have something one can nitpick.

I already said he had an ok game on Saturday.

His passion and commitment has never been questioned.

Give me an example of a nitpick, as I don't think nitpicking is fair enough actually. I think I'm judging him over entire matches over all of the times I've seen him during his career. I think he had one good season at Charlton when tbh I thought he could be another Rob Lee. But he isn't.

Try answering the questions I asked you earlier. Surely you have an opinion, don't you? Or when it comes down to it, is it the passion and commitment from scotty that has you convinced? I'm really not sure what anybody can point to on the football field that indicates he's a top player but I'm happy to listen to some examples of great contribution from him and I'll check out the tapes/DVD's if I have them. As I've said many, many times before. If I think a Newcastle player isn't upto it I always hope I'm wrong and I'll be keen to admit it when I'm proved wrong.

Cheers