Papering Over The Cracks.........(again)

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest POWNATS

Agree with the poster.

Man u, spurs, villa and now liverpool, if we'd got what we deserved from those games we would be in the dog fight.

Babayaro playing saturday.........doesn't show alot of respect for his brother.

In the future he might regret opting to play, in any case GR should not have allowed him to. imo

Doesn't show alot of respect for his brother, your joking right and I am going to get whooshed in a minute!

If he didn't play some fans would have something else to say! Why shouldn't GR allowed him to play? Baba rang him up and informed him of the situation, I guess Baba was then given the oppourtunity of playing or not if the lad chooses to play then its up to him, not too sure if I could do the same given the situation.

Ramage is a better left back than babayaro.

That's some statement right there. Personally I don't think there's a less gifted player at the club than Ramage. The only area in which he possibly betters Babayaro is in effort, which 9 times out of 10 counts for fuck all on its own.

I disagree, but hey ho. I think Ramage is our 4th worst defender.

I'm with nufc_geordie and the 'vibe' i got is that we are papering over the cracks.  But everyone is entitled to their opinions. Having said that I'm very proud of the result and credit needs to be given where deserved. Regarding Babayaro, I thought had a pretty solid game - there was one moment when Bellamy went past him and he just lunged at him and i thought 'oh crap' - but besides that moment he was solid and kept that side in control.

Big ups to GR for the win - but I would still like him replaced with someone with more stature in the offseason so we can compete with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Aye, I'm sure merely changing the manager would achieve that!

Yeah I think it would.

I think GR is doin a decent job - especially in rebuilding the club.

BUT - i don't think he is capable of winning the league or being up there with the bigger clubs.  Just the feeling I get.  I believe someone with a winning track record and reputation would take us to greater heights. But yeah - right now, well done GR - and may you keep proving me wrong.

Rebuilding the club?? Thats absolutely ridiculous.

What I'm sayin is pretty simple:

GR is doing a DECENT job interim but I want a manager who will make the club compete with Man U, Chelsea etc and honestly I can't see GR doing that.

Anyway, good performance saturday from all the lads (inc. babayaro BUT NOT Bramble) - Brilliant result.

He's keeping the seat warm, but how anyone can say he is rebuilding is insane.

Guest Jangles

Well haven't we all been screaming out for a leftback for what seems an eternity?  :idiot2:

Yet this problem hasn't been properly addressed - buying Bernard doesn't count as he hasn't played a first team game yet.

I imagine the thinking behind getting Bernard was that he'd create competition for the left back spot and provide cover. You appear to be blaming Roeder's lack of psycic powers for failing to predict Bernard missing the entire season

Well haven't we all been screaming out for a leftback for what seems an eternity?  :idiot2:

Yet this problem hasn't been properly addressed - buying Bernard doesn't count as he hasn't played a first team game yet.

I imagine the thinking behind getting Bernard was that he'd create competition for the left back spot and provide cover. You appear to be blaming Roeder's lack of psycic powers for failing to predict Bernard missing the entire season

Injury aside, you didn't need pyschic powers to know that Bernard wasn't good enough to create competition in the left back berth given his inability to get a contract with Southampton, Rangers and Birmingham!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jangles

He's keeping the seat warm, but how anyone can say he is rebuilding is insane.

He's not rebuilding?

He's binned out some of the dross thats collected (Faye, Boumsong, Bowyer), seen a couple of decent players arrive (Martins, Duff, Gooch). He's blooding some of the youngsters into the 1st team, hes hired new scouts and academy staff.

If thats not rebuilding what is? I think hes doing a decent job considering the limited resources due to the expenditure under the souness regime

Ramage is a better left back than babayaro.

That's some statement right there. Personally I don't think there's a less gifted player at the club than Ramage. The only area in which he possibly betters Babayaro is in effort, which 9 times out of 10 counts for f*** all on its own.

I disagree, but hey ho. I think Ramage is our 4th worst defender.

Ramage is the worst defender in your club

Guest Jangles

Injury aside, you didn't need pyschic powers to know that Bernard wasn't good enough to create competition in the left back berth given his inability to get a contract with Southampton, Rangers and Birmingham!!!!!!!!!

Right or wrong baba was always going to be 1st choice left back, we had to put all our eggs in one basket to buy another striker and couldnt afford to splash the cash on a left back. Bernard was brought in as cover, possibly to challenge if he got up to speed

quote author=Jangles link=topic=36138.msg708029#msg708029 date=1171360972]

Right or wrong baba was always going to be 1st choice left back, we had to put all our eggs in one basket to buy another striker and couldnt afford to splash the cash on a left back. Bernard was brought in as cover, possibly to challenge if he got up to speed

Two points to that:

1. Was the priority a left winger for £5m or a left or right back - we didn't sign a left back because we needed a striker, it was because we signed Duff?

2. Was Bernard the only left back available for free/low cost during the entire transfer window??

Not disagreeing with the thought process when signing Bernard just pissed off that Roeder, through his own mismanagement of the transfer window, found himself having to get Bernard in at the last minute where clearly given the last 2 years of his career, this was a very poor signing with no strategic or long term planning in mind.

Guest Jangles

Two points to that:

1. Was the priority a left winger for £5m or a left or right back - we didn't sign a left back because we needed a striker, it was because we signed Duff?

2. Was Bernard the only left back available for free/low cost during the entire transfer window??

Not disagreeing with the thought process when signing Bernard just pissed off that Roeder, through his own mismanagement of the transfer window, found himself having to get Bernard in at the last minute where clearly given the last 2 years of his career, this was a very poor signing with no strategic or long term planning in mind.

Both fair points and to be honest I agree I wasnt impressed at the arrival of either Duff or Bernard because as you say Duff cost £5m that wouldve been much better spent elsewhere and Bernard because as you say he's been shite for the past 2 seasons (probably 2.5 - he was pants towards the end of his 1st spell here).

But I think the Freddy's meddling in the transfers was the main problem:

2005 - Buys big name + old favourite back (owen & nobby) and gets to bask in fans adulation

2006 - Buys big name + old favourite back (duff & bernard) and wants to bask in fans adulation

I dont think too many people were unhappy when those two arrived but in hindsight they were terrible moves