Papering Over The Cracks.........(again)

Guest nufc_geordie

I couldn't disagree with Roeder's line-up whatsoever at the weekend.

Damien Duff had to be dropped, simple as. The two-times Premier League winner has been back only two games, and already he has shown that he doesn't appear to have the ability to improve from his early season shiteness. I heard that he was very poor against Fulham, and he wasn't very good against Aston Villa. It was pointless playing him there when he couldn't beat his man and couldn't pick out a cutting pass, when you've got Milner in the squad who is expert at each of those things.

Duff had to be dropped, and the only person we had available for left-wing duty was James Milner, leaving the right-wing spot unoccupied.

Therefore, Nobby Solano had to be moved forward into his old position. Roeder knew that he needed Kieron Dyer upfront, and with Milner being on the left, Nobby was the obvious choice to place on the right-wing.

The domino effect continued with someone needing to occupy right-back. Taylor's played there countless times and was the obvious choice.

His line-up was all about dropping Damien Duff, and the dropping of him spiralled, and forced one or two to be played 'out of position'.

Duff dropped

No left wing

Milner moved to left

No right wing

Nobby moved to right

No right back

Taylor moves to right back.

My only gripe with his starting line-up came after the game. Babayaro should not have started in a Premier League game against Liverpool in those circumstances. Any manager in his right mind would have anticipated a horror show and would have sent the player home to be with his family. Fortunately for us, we escaped.

Babayaro wanted to play though, and actualy played quite well.

I know he wanted to play, just like Shola wanted to play those extra games before his operation.

The manager has to think of the team, not the player. Like i say, any manager in his right mind would have expected a bit of a horror show because the player's mind would surely be elsewhere. Fortunately, we escaped somewhat, even though i think the first goal goes largely down to Babayaro's failings. As atrocious a kick-out it was from Harps, the pass back was poor and the attempt at the challenge was feeble.

But - we did escape - but it just surprises me how Roeder, and Babayaro, has the courage to actually start him in such circumstances.

Fair play to both of them, i suppose. Espcially Babayaro - condolences to his brother.

I was reasonably impressed with Babayaro, his passing was simple but effective, he made some decent runs forward. Was very much shaken and low on confidence, which is understandable given the season he has had and the events 24hours previous to the game.

He needs to really work on his defensive side and toughen up a bit. I just hope he can keep fit as he will get better if he has a decent run in the side.

He is leagues ahead of Ramage, Taylor, Carr or anybody else we currently have at the club.

Will be good back up next season. He is seems well liked amoungst the players and staff.

I know he wanted to play, just like Shola wanted to play those extra games before his operation.

The manager has to think of the team, not the player. Like i say, any manager in his right mind would have expected a bit of a horror show because the player's mind would surely be elsewhere. Fortunately, we escaped somewhat, even though i think the first goal goes largely down to Babayaro's failings. As atrocious a kick-out it was from Harps, the pass back was poor and the attempt at the challenge was feeble.

But - we did escape - but it just surprises me how Roeder, and Babayaro, has the courage to actually start him in such circumstances.

Fair play to both of them, i suppose. Espcially Babayaro - condolences to his brother.

can't actually bring yourself to say he had a good game can you ?..what we escaped from was poor defending through the middle as they done very little out wide.

i've never really had much of a problem with babyaro's performances,just that they aren't many of them..he can have an ok game but people say he was shit cos he looks disinterested.be interesting to see if he can put a run together

can't actually bring yourself to say he had a good game can you ?.

Stop stereotyping. I never said that. I said previously that i didn't think he had a bad game. However, i do feel he was at fault for the game.

I don't mind Babayaro.

Goal...

don't see how,decent pass naffed up by harper,slid not to get the ball but to try and push pennant as wide and as far as poss.his only option was to chop pennant as he went past.or are you blaming him for letting pennant past,he turns round to have a bloke running at him,don't think ashley cole or wayne bridge would have done much different .

I'm with nufc_geordie and the 'vibe' i got is that we are papering over the cracks.  But everyone is entitled to their opinions. Having said that I'm very proud of the result and credit needs to be given where deserved. Regarding Babayaro, I thought had a pretty solid game - there was one moment when Bellamy went past him and he just lunged at him and i thought 'oh crap' - but besides that moment he was solid and kept that side in control.

Big ups to GR for the win - but I would still like him replaced with someone with more stature in the offseason so we can compete with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Aye, I'm sure merely changing the manager would achieve that!

Yeah I think it would.

I think GR is doin a decent job - especially in rebuilding the club.

BUT - i don't think he is capable of winning the league or being up there with the bigger clubs.  Just the feeling I get.  I believe someone with a winning track record and reputation would take us to greater heights. But yeah - right now, well done GR - and may you keep proving me wrong.

Rebuilding the club?? Thats absolutely ridiculous.

Baba isn't that bad a player imo. Highly average not to great going forward and not to great at defending but he is fairly reliable not to play like Carr and Bramble.

He's not average, he's shite. But he gets the vote for being left footed??

Do you think there's currently a better left-back at the club? Obviously he's not good enough long term but he should be played until the end of the season and hopefully be kept as backup beyond that.

Baba isn't that bad a player imo. Highly average not to great going forward and not to great at defending but he is fairly reliable not to play like Carr and Bramble.

He's not average, he's shite. But he gets the vote for being left footed??

Do you think there's currently a better left-back at the club? Obviously he's not good enough long term but he should be played until the end of the season and hopefully be kept as backup beyond that.

Ramage is a better left back than babayaro. He's absolutely fucking terrible. As a left back, he makes a good bookend.

Positioning, pace, tackling, awareness. All utter, utter shite.

i'd rather not, such is the paucity of his ability.

Ramage is worse there imo, would still like to see Edgar given a few more games there though.

I don't think Ramage IS worse there. He's not a natural, comfortable lb, obviously, but he's better than the utter piece of wank that Babayaro has been for the vast majority of the games he's played.

Agree with the poster, we could have EASILY been 4 down at half time, and were very lucky we werent. I know its a game of ifs and buts, but if we had been, we'd be kicking off now...

Similar let offs occured before that Birmingham FA Cup loss, and to be honest, i think we might be on the end of another trouncing before the season is out.

Taylor was out of position and it showed on Sat. But there werent too many other options, Solano and RB, and Duff on wing, was he fit enough? Doesnt seem so.

I'm with nufc_geordie and the 'vibe' i got is that we are papering over the cracks.  But everyone is entitled to their opinions. Having said that I'm very proud of the result and credit needs to be given where deserved. Regarding Babayaro, I thought had a pretty solid game - there was one moment when Bellamy went past him and he just lunged at him and i thought 'oh crap' - but besides that moment he was solid and kept that side in control.

Big ups to GR for the win - but I would still like him replaced with someone with more stature in the offseason so we can compete with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Aye, I'm sure merely changing the manager would achieve that!

Yeah I think it would.

I think GR is doin a decent job - especially in rebuilding the club.

BUT - i don't think he is capable of winning the league or being up there with the bigger clubs.  Just the feeling I get.  I believe someone with a winning track record and reputation would take us to greater heights. But yeah - right now, well done GR - and may you keep proving me wrong.

Rebuilding the club?? Thats absolutely ridiculous.

What I'm sayin is pretty simple:

GR is doing a DECENT job interim but I want a manager who will make the club compete with Man U, Chelsea etc and honestly I can't see GR doing that.

Anyway, good performance saturday from all the lads (inc. babayaro BUT NOT Bramble) - Brilliant result.

Ramage is a better left back than babayaro.

That's some statement right there. Personally I don't think there's a less gifted player at the club than Ramage. The only area in which he possibly betters Babayaro is in effort, which 9 times out of 10 counts for fuck all on its own.

We dont have any player in our squad, who would get a game as a LB in any of the top 10 prem teams. Baba is half decent, but just doesnt care, strolls around and generally gets skinned.

Ramage, Carr, Huntington can all fill in, but are pretty useless at LB, and Edgar we havent seen much of.