St James' Park

Delima

The only way I would like a new stadium is if it is at the SJP site or slightly to the north of it. Anything outside of the city centre is a massive no and to be honest I couldn't ever see it happening anyway because the backlash would be huge. 

10 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Building Stadium 974 was expensive. It was basically a normal stadium with shipping containers used as a style aesthetic. A gimmick.

Building temporary stands to expand  existing stadia is nowhere near as expensive and very common. Chester-le-Street do it for internationals, Russia World Cup had stadiums with temporary stands. And like I say Cagliari built a whole 16k seater for about 8 million euros and threw it up in a year. 

Not saying it's necessarily the answer but it's probably not that outlandish. If rotating the pitch and altering the footprint slightly could deliver a new stadium on the existing site the cost of building a temporary stadium + build a new one altogether would likely be more cost effective than expanding the existing stadium over the metro etc.

You'd obviously have to significantly limit capacity (25k max maybe) but it'd be better than playing in Edinburgh or Darlington imo.

Agreed - provided the capacity is vastly reduced from SJP, it would be more feasible.  10-20k seater range and you’re looking at temporary stands being erected without too extravagant a cost. 

7 minutes ago, Decky said:

The only way I would like a new stadium is if it is at the SJP site or slightly to the north of it. Anything outside of the city centre is a massive no and to be honest I couldn't ever see it happening anyway because the backlash would be huge. 

It wasn’t last time - the vast, vast majority were happy to leave SJP. 

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

The only sites I could imagine would be redevelop SJP while we play there, Castle Leazes, the Arena site or the Newcastle college site.

Would be interested to see how big you could get Gateshead Stadium with temporary stands behind either goal (plus you could get some to the front of the east stand). Those two at Yektarinburg added about 12k to that stadium. It's probably not going to add a huge amount tbh - to the point that you might as well just build a whole new one where you can at least do four full stands. Plus it would be a bit of a nightmare in terms of transport.

Chester-le-Street ala the MCG? Would be weird as fuck and is far away enough where you probably might as well just use Darlo instead.

Edited by ponsaelius

City Council need to be flexible and open minded with any plans to revamp SJP and keep it where it is. Moving it outside the city would be hugely damaging to business via tourism and they'll have a lot of tax paying venues who are already on the edge deciding it's just not worth it.

Nothing should be off the table, including listed buildings. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

City Council need to be flexible and open minded with any plans to revamp SJP and keep it where it is. Moving it outside the city would be hugely damaging to business via tourism and they'll have a lot of tax paying venues who are already on the edge deciding it's just not worth it.

Nothing should be off the table, including listed buildings. 

Listed buildings should - and will - be off the table.  And that’s not the council’s call.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We need to persuade Gateshead to bid for the Commonwealth Games, with a series of govt and lottery grants to build a 50k athletics stadium.  Then use that on a temporary basis.  

That will cost hundreds of billions to host.

Edited by El Prontonise

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Listed buildings should - and will - be off the table.  And that’s not the council’s call.

Imagine losing SJP and moving the new stadium to benton, due to them. It's ludicrous. They don't have to be destroyed, just make both work for the 21st century and keeping the heartbeat of a city. 

Putting to one side the sickening notion of leaving SJP; knocking it down and starting again is arguably my least favourite option as the thought of knocking around at some temporary digs for a couple of years is truly repugnant and would probably set us back on the pitch.

I'm starting to fear that a new stadium is the most likely outcome, eventually, and I'll have to just try and emotionally get behind that. I accept that, whatever they do with SJP, it'll never match the corporate utopias of other new/redeveloped arenas. Being there for Sam Fender was a bit of an eye-opener for me in terms of understanding its limitations purely as a 'venue.'

Obviously echo everyone's thoughts about Castle Leazes and a land swap being the best of all 'leave' options.

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Imagine losing SJP and moving the new stadium to benton, due to them. It's ludicrous. They don't have to be destroyed, just make both work for the 21st century and keeping the heartbeat of a city. 

T Dan Smith and his pals already ripped half the Georgian city out.  I would rather move to Benton than pull those buildings down tbh - happily though, I don’t think that will be the choice.  

1 minute ago, Decky said:

Outside of the city centre? Shocked at that. 

No, to Leazes Park.  No-one here is onboard with moving far away from the city centre - nor is it necessary. 

edit: over 100k of us signed up to it.  The Mag printed surveys. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It wasn’t last time - the vast, vast majority were happy to leave SJP. 

I can't really remember much about the Castle Leazes carry-on, what's changed since then? Seemed at the time that the majority of fans were in favour of the new ground, now its "sickening" or "tearing out the club's soul"?

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

T Dan Smith and his pals already ripped half the Georgian city out.  I would rather move to Benton than pull those buildings down tbh - happily though, I don’t think that will be the choice.  

How often do you go visit the buildings? What's you're greatest memory of them?  You'll get a good view of them when they tear down SJP after we've moved. Be all worth it I'm sure. 

Land swap with Castle Leazes could genuinely be great. I do love the idea of expanded green space closer to the city and as a thoroughfare to the ground. As long as any new stadium looked like a football stadium and not that airport terminal posted a few pages back.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, Dokko said:

How often do you go visit the buildings? What's you're greatest memory of them?  You'll get a good view of them when they tear down SJP after we've moved. Be all worth it I'm sure. 

Fuck it, let’s pull down Grey Street too.  Who gives a shite?   The castle keep while we’re at it - who actually visits it?  Falling to bits anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I can't really remember much about the Castle Leazes carry-on, what's changed since then? Seemed at the time that the majority of fans were in favour of the new ground, now it’s "sickening" or "tearing out the club's soul"?

Honestly mate, no idea - I think it might just be people being over emotive on social media.  There was no outcry last time.  Most of SJP is younger than the average ST holder - I’m at a complete loss to where this ‘we can’t move postal address’ thing came from.  The club is not the ground. 

Fuck it, let’s pull down Grey Street too.  Who gives a shite?   The castle keep while we’re at it - who actually visits it?  Falling to bits anyway.  

One has uses and the other is an actual tourist attraction. These buildings just exist. 

But glad they mean more to people than SJP. 

Let’s be honest, the Saudis are going to want to show of something that they’ve done too. 

I love SJP too, but it’s difficult to compare it to something that doesn’t exist yet. My seats pretty good in the Gallowgate and I can stand all game, but tbh I can’t imagine it being up to much half way up Leazes.

I don’t get the ‘I don’t want sushi’ bizarre argument too. Don’t buy it if you don’t want it. Demanding less options because you, personally, just want to have a cheap pint and then watch the game is a bit strange imo. 

Honestly mate, no idea - I think it might just be people being over emotive on social media.  There was no outcry last time.  Most of SJP is younger than the average ST holder - I’m at a complete loss to where this ‘we can’t move postal address’ thing came from.  The club is not the ground. 

I mean, it is a bit. Which of the tangible aspects make a meaningful contribution to the intangible notion of 'the club,' in your view, if not SJP? Would you be arsed if we got rid of the badge? The stripes?

Just now, Yorkie said:

I mean, it is a bit. Which of the tangible aspects make a meaningful contribution to the intangible notion of 'the club,' in your view, if not SJP? Would you be arsed if we got rid of the badge? The stripes?

Just grt rid of the lot. Move the training ground to London. Change the name of the club while we're at it. What's a club anyway?