St James' Park

Delima

27 minutes ago, Big River said:

why can't we build on the town moor again? cows?

Most of the main moor we probably couldn't due to restrictive planning designations, but there are parts of it we possibly could. Castle Leazes, Hunters Moor, Nuns Moor and the moorland next to Exhibition Park all have a planning designation that allows for sports buildings.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a soulless out of town location and nowhere near Newcastle. 

Also, isn’t Newcastle racecourse in regular use for racing? 

the Reuben brothers own it don’t they ? 

The three Mile gets busy enough though without this. Town or nowt for me. 

I don’t think I’ve ever read or spoken to anyone who’s happy to move out of town. 

Having attended Reading for a whole season, the words park and ride make me go all cold inside. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

Because it's miles away from the centre of town.  Elswick riverside would be a better choice than that for me.

Additionally, honestly not to be down on anybody who's genuinely excited by this prospect because your opinion is worth as much as mine, but how good something will look to people coming in on a train, or from a drone shot with the river behind it shouldn't be anywhere near our thinking, like :)  I keep reading this as a reason for the arena site, "because it'll look good for people who aren't there and most of them won't go / will look good on the telly".  Complete non-issues imo :lol:

Arena site is a no go . Its too small and you have to account for police / ambulance / fan access .

Agree it would look lovely but be freezing in winter with a cold wind whipping in off the tyne

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think I’ve ever read or spoken to anyone who’s happy to move out of town. 

Having attended Reading for a whole season, the words park and ride make me go all cold inside. 

From clubs perspective it gets  more fans in the stadium eating and drinking before and after the match  = more £££££ 

2 minutes ago, DiddyLevine said:

Arena site is a no go . Its too small and you have to account for police / ambulance / fan access .

Agree it would look lovely but be freezing in winter with a cold wind whipping in off the tyne

Also requires passing through a completely soulless and pretty dead part of town, although some folk appear convinced that bars and cafes and shops will spring up magically with the maybe-once-a-fortnight footfall that it will bring, just like it has in Sunderland :shifty:

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t know the numbers but I guess we could probably triple or quadruple our matchday revenue with more tickets, better facilities, better retail, more corporate etc.

Yeah. It also changes dramatically if we have a removable surface. Spurs’ stadium, and Atlanta’s has shown how different sports and events can be held there easily. Who’s to say that in 10 years time, maybe if PIF bought the Newcastle Falcons, then they might be getting a decent crowd behind them and could play regularly at SJP as well.

As I said earlier in the thread, if we get something like ones of stadiums, good amount of corporate facilities, and the capacity of over 70k, then we’ll leave the vast majority of clubs behind due to the income it would generate.

Just now, OpenC said:

Also requires passing through a completely soulless and pretty dead part of town, although some folk appear convinced that bars and cafes and shops will spring up magically with the maybe-once-a-fortnight footfall that it will bring, just like it has in Sunderland :shifty:

It’s dead but it’s still only a 10 minute walk. Apart from staying on the current site it seems the best option to me. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

From Sunderland :lol:

Aye but the principle is the same like :)  There is a clear town centre and the stadium feels like it's miles away, out into residential and light industry zone although it's not actually that far.  Arena site would be exactly the same.  Amazing new stadium will honestly not be so amazing imo, when your viewpoints are the Tsang Foods car park and looking over the garages from the college.  The Gallowgate Pigeon doesn't compare to those bridges around Railway Street :lol:

Edited by OpenC

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a soulless out of town location and nowhere near Newcastle. 

Also, isn’t Newcastle racecourse in regular use for racing? 

Yes I go there often, it's a pain for us south of the river to get there, please don't spoil two of the things I love.

I'm 100% against anything outside of the city 

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

Aye but the principle is the same like :)  There is a clear town centre and the stadium feels like it's miles away, out into residential and light industry zone although it's not actually that far.  Arena site would be exactly the same.  Amazing new stadium  will honestly not be so amazing imo, when your viewpoints are the Tsang Foods car park and looking over the garages from the college.

But isn’t the point that you can go to town and then pop to the ground? I’ve never really considered what it feels like. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

8 minutes ago, DiddyLevine said:

It's potentially huge, I admit access would need improving.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t know exactly where the arena site begins and ends but on the map it looks double or triple the size of where SJP is now. 

Depending on which warehouses and adjoining sites you can acquire, I guess. 

We could also build a bit of it over the river if required.

Super yacht parking anyone ?

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But isn’t the point that you can go to town and then pop to the ground? I’ve never really considered what it feels like. 

I just don't think there's an approach to the Arena that equals virtually any of the approaches to SJP from the city.  IMO you'd just end up with hundreds of billions of cars parked on all those derelict little streets, people going straight to the game and people going straight home.  It's far enough away and through a dismal enough part of town to make people think, "I'll just go to the game" I reckon.  Once you get to that mindset, you might as well put it out at Callerton Parkway

Edited by OpenC

Just now, OpenC said:

I just don't think there's an approach to the Arena that equals virtually any of the approaches to SJP from the city.  IMO you'd just end up with hundreds of billions of cars parked on all those derelict little streets, people going straight to the game and people going straight home.  It's far enough away and through a dismal enough part of town to make people think, "I'll just go to the game" I reckon

Fair points, I’d never argue it’s as good as where we are now. But if we have to move, I would consider it a bullet dodged to be 5 mins walk from central station and 10 mins from most other places. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Fair points, I’d never argue it’s as good as where we are now. But if we have to move, I would consider it a bullet dodged to be 5 mins walk from central station and 10 mins from most other places. 

It could be worse, definitely, but the area is just so out of keeping with what we really want.