St James' Park

Delima

Guest Roger Kint

BBC Newcastle and Five Live are all still calling it SJP, like.  Has anybody noticed that it's supposed to have changed name?  Does it still say St. James' Park outside..?

BBC Newcastle called it the SDA last night.

Not sure what TS were calling it during the match but all day from what i can tell its been SJP from Keys/Gray & H&J on now. That Hawksby is openly making a point of not calling it 'that stupid name'

Guest Roger Kint

Not convinced they have any intention to sell the naming rights.

I for one am shocked to the core to read this from you.

BBC Newcastle and Five Live are all still calling it SJP, like.  Has anybody noticed that it's supposed to have changed name?  Does it still say St. James' Park outside..?

The main entrance up to the big glass atrium with the escalators still has St James' Park on the wall on either side of the steps.

The Sports Direct Signage around the outside actually says Sportsdirect@ St James' Park still.

Correct.

So another 2.5 years stuck on much less sponsorship than our forward thinking rivals are getting.

You can have a general idea though given that it is the same company, who have a littered financial history, and our MD only left himself two months to sell the sponsorship.

:lol: oh dear James.

Guest bimpy474

Eh ? it has to be called St James' Park, its the rules of the olympic games, no advertising allowed in the ground name, Coventry's ground will be called the Coventry Stadium or something along those lines because they are not allowed to use "Ricoh Arena" as Ricoh is a Japanese Electronic company.

Guest vainsharpdad

Yes, and you'd think as this is widely known it wouldn't be an issue.

But this is Ashley we're talking about.

Yes, and you'd think as this is widely known it wouldn't be an issue.

But this is Ashley we're talking about.

http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/002/314/2314/original.jpg

Guest johnson293

Branson rules out renaming St James' Park

by Adrian Pearson, Evening Chronicle, January 10th 2012

SIR Richard Branson has ruled out bidding to rename St James Park after his takeover of Northern Rock. The Virgin Money boss and Newcastle United shirt sponsor, has said he will not be one of those looking to take advantage of naming rights at what owner Mike Ashley has renamed the Sports Direct Arena. During a visit to Newcastle Sir Richard said he was happy just to settle for shirt sponsorship, while he concentrated on growing his new business.

Asked about the St James Park option, he said: “I think we are a lucky brand as can be, told we did the sponsorship deal two hours before the match, got the name on the shirts and they beat Manchester United three-love. I don’t think we will push our luck too much. We are happy to talk but I think as far as Virgin goes we will stick with the team for the time being and let someone else sponsor the stadium.”

He went on to say he believed the bank had a strong and growing future.

That growth will come at the expense of the historic Northern Rock name, a decision Sir Richard insisted was not taken lightly. He said: “I actually quite liked the Virgin Rock name and tried to push that through, but wiser minds felt that on a national basis, Virgin money is one of the most respected brands in Britain, and then it was most-likely best to break away because of the problems Northern Rock had four years ago.

“But we are going to keep the clock on the Northumberland Street branch, and I think a lot of people will have fond memories of the good times of Northern Rock. But now we have to move forward with Virgin Money. It’s a strong name and that will help us launch a really competitive bank.”

He will spend two days meeting staff, starting with yesterday’s tour of branches in the North East, as well as meeting staff in the operational headquarters in Newcastle before moving on to the Virgin Money offices in Edinburgh, Norwich and London.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1j3paiB9d

Guest andyburn

Jeff Stelling said, on Sky's Soccer Saturday... " it's finished 2-1 at St. James park, that's St. James Park".  Good lad.

They have no intention to sell the naming rights. With the profits they can make from player sales - £10m is a small opportunity cost when you consider the equivalent advertising value the name Sports Direct Arena will generate.

Guest Roger Kint

They have no intention to sell the naming rights. With the profits they can make from player sales - £10m is a small opportunity cost when you consider the equivalent advertising value the name Sports Direct Arena will generate.

Love a good old broken record.......It wasnt going to be £10m btw, that figure included the shirt deal as well.

Guest Roger Kint

£5m a year then. Supports my point further.

Nice of Mr Branson to double our shirt deal i guess, Ashley must have done something right

£5m a year then. Supports my point further.

Nice of Mr Branson to double our shirt deal i guess, Ashley must have done something right

Apologies, noticed The Telegraph and Marketing Magazine both suggested the shirt sponsorship deal is worth £10m a year...

Which means the £10m a year sponsorship money they claimed to be looking for is now covered - so they don't need to sell the naming rights.