St James' Park

Delima

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

Well you just made me log in didnt you 🤣

:lol:

Genuinely interested if there are a whole load of you on here who actually remember us winning something, and love reading the stories of those times above a lot of stuff that gets posted. Unfortunately for us, its a sad fact that those who were lucky enough to experience that are few and far between.

On Thursday 29th May 1969, aged 11, I  stood in the wing paddock with my dad. What a night ;)

what’s strange though is that we didn’t “win” anything that night, it was a couple of weeks later in a far of land when we actually lifted the trophy. 

No Sky, TNT, fire sticks or dodgy channels, no R5 live, Talk sport etc.for the return game!

On 19/04/2024 at 21:30, TheBrownBottle said:

You all must be in the upper tier of the East Stand then.  Nowhere else in SJP is as it was in the early 80s. 

No, whilst the stadium has evolved, the walk to the stadium is still the same and still has emotional attachments. 

Im not opposed to moving, infact i think we have to move but lets not forget who we are in the thrust for more money and lose our identity. 

1 minute ago, NG32 said:

No, whilst the stadium has evolved, the walk to the stadium is still the same and still has emotional attachments. 

Im not opposed to moving, infact i think we have to move but lets not forget who we are in the thrust for more money and lose our identity. 

It’s a different stadium tbf, which is what I meant.  In terms of the walk, I must have made that journey several hundred times - I never got particularly misty-eyed when doing it (though I often had unstable vision).  Never really had a fixed route, either - depended on the watering hole that was favoured that day.

Each to their own, perhaps others get sentimental about the walk to the ground - not looking to take the mick if they do.  But I never did tbh. 

12 hours ago, whiteline said:

On Thursday 29th May 1969, aged 11, I  stood in the wing paddock with my dad. What a night ;)

what’s strange though is that we didn’t “win” anything that night, it was a couple of weeks later in a far of land when we actually lifted the trophy. 

No Sky, TNT, fire sticks or dodgy channels, no R5 live, Talk sport etc.for the return game!

Can you remember how you found out the details of the second leg?

50 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Can you remember how you found out the details of the second leg?

Ha, nope! Very likely the next day - not even radio Newcastle in 69. Certainly wouldn’t be allowed to stay up for the highlights.

Pretty sure it must have been on the radio as I’m told my brother went to bed when we were 2-0 down and came back downstairs when he heard we’d scored. The hi-lights were then on Sports Night (which is actually an indicator of the importance of The Fairs Cup).

48 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Pretty sure it must have been on the radio as I’m told my brother went to bed when we were 2-0 down and came back downstairs when he heard we’d scored. The hi-lights were then on Sports Night (which is actually an indicator of the importance of The Fairs Cup).

That is possible. But it was an 20.00hrs ko which would be 21.00 U.K. a bit late for us young’uns!

15 hours ago, whiteline said:

Thursday 29th May 1969 was the very night I was born….

Often thought and on many occasions been told that I might be ‘the curse’… but sorry folks…. I just dont feel ready to depart this earth just yet…

18 hours ago, danswan said:

The Fairs Cup win was 4 years before I was born. Realistically, in order to remember it as anything other than a rumour, you'd need to be in your mid sixties. 

Not sure how winning the Fairs Cup could be a "rumour".

We don't set up threads to discuss rumours over on Skyscraper City . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/fairs-cup-newcastle-united-the-1969-fairs-cup-win-and-the-50th-anniversary-in-2019-etc.2177948/post-159296132

5 hours ago, manorpark said:

Not sure how winning the Fairs Cup could be a "rumour".

We don't set up threads to discuss rumours over on Skyscraper City . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/fairs-cup-newcastle-united-the-1969-fairs-cup-win-and-the-50th-anniversary-in-2019-etc.2177948/post-159296132

Righto. Point is, not many people are alive who can remember it, in comparison to those who can't. It's just an inarguable fact, I'm not disparaging or belittling the achievement, far from it. 

4 hours ago, danswan said:

Righto. Point is, not many people are alive who can remember it, in comparison to those who can't. It's just an inarguable fact, I'm not disparaging or belittling the achievement, far from it. 

"Rumours" seemed a very inappropriate word to use.

Also "not many people are alive" is another strange phrase to use!

Yes, obviously new people are born every day and there have been a lot of 'days' since 1969, but your choice of words betrays your odd thinking. While it is obvious that very quickly the number of new-born can become a larger percentage of the whole population than those born a while ago, It still is not correct to say that the smaller percentage are now to be described as "not many people are alive". That is just weird!

Edited by manorpark

9 hours ago, manorpark said:

"Rumours" seemed a very inappropriate word to use.

Also "not many people are alive" is another strange phrase to use!

Yes, obviously new people are born every day and there have been a lot of 'days' since 1969, but your choice of words betrays your odd thinking. While it is obvious that very quickly the number of new-born can become a larger percentage of the whole population than those born a while ago, It still is not correct to say that the smaller percentage are now to be described as "not many people are alive". That is just weird!

Bit bamboozled at you taking exception to any of that tbh, but each to their own. Hopefully soon enough it's a moot point, as us nippers will have a trophy to celebrate :)

1 hour ago, danswan said:

Bit bamboozled at you taking exception to any of that tbh, but each to their own. Hopefully soon enough it's a moot point, as us nippers will have a trophy to celebrate :)

Not bamboozled (great word !!) just disappointed at what your choices of words and phrases tells me about your thought processes and categorisations of people. 

That's all - nipper !

2 hours ago, manorpark said:

Not bamboozled (great word !!) just disappointed at what your choices of words and phrases tells me about your thought processes and categorisations of people. 

That's all - nipper !

I think he had his tongue in cheek for a fair bit of that tbf :) - I didn’t read it that anything was meant as a slight

1 minute ago, vic said:

By the time i was 5 years old we had won 3 FA cups,what year was i born?

I assume you mean won in three FA cups in your lifetime? Which would be 1950/51.

Otherwise you were born about 1927, and I doff my cap to your continued forum usage in your late 90’s.