St James' Park

Delima

Guest Brazilianbob

I don't doubt that at some point (where there's an international break), he'll attempt to change the name of the club. Hopefully the FA will try to veto it but their track record in that area isn't fantastic. They tried to veto the Wimbledon move and were beaten.

This is just trying to whip up the forum into a frenzy, based on no evidence whatsoever, that Ashely would even consider doing this.  Lets face it, the only way he could profit from changing our name would be if he changed it to a bigger global name such as Man Utd or Arsenal, and lets face it that just isnt going to happen is it?

I don't doubt that at some point (where there's an international break), he'll attempt to change the name of the club. Hopefully the FA will try to veto it but their track record in that area isn't fantastic. They tried to veto the Wimbledon move and were beaten.

This is just trying to whip up the forum into a frenzy, based on no evidence whatsoever, that Ashely would even consider doing this.  Lets face it, the only way he could profit from changing our name would be if he changed it to a bigger global name such as Man Utd or Arsenal, and lets face it that just isnt going to happen is it?

wat

I find it astonishing that people think this is ok or at least aren't "bothered" by it. It's every bit part of the club's identity just like the black and white stripes are, just as the very name Newcastle United is. The stadium has been called St James' Park since the club began and that has to mean something, and it isn't even a romanticism either because certain parts of a football club have to remain for the life of the club and the name of the ground the team plays at is one of them unless the club moves elseware. People can point to other clubs all they want, it doesn't make it right.

Anyone who can say they aren't bothered because people will still call it St James' are wrong as well. Maybe you will call it that, but what about in 40 or 50 years? Will a child born tomorrow call it that when they are older? Also even today it isn't just about the name, as Dave said earlier it's everything in and around the stadium. Sports Direct signs are around the outside of the ground, around the pitch, around the seating areas, in huge banners beside the away fans, hanging from the East Stand and Gallowgate, painted in HUGE lettering on the roof of the Gallowgate, the centre circle before kick off, around the dug outs and absolutely everywhere else in the ground, I even think someone said it was written inside the goal posts and crossbars. It isn't just the name of the stadium that is going here, it's the face of it as well.

Other clubs that sold their naming rights haven't had their stadium destroyed like St James' either. The inside of The Emirates for example is all Arsenal FC, right up to painting their clubs honours around the top of the stands. We're slowly but surely becoming Sports Direct FC, not literally (I hope), but in every other way. Since Ashley started this nonsense it has been Sports Direct first, Newcastle United second, you only need to look at our stadium for proof. It's disgusting and it beggars belief that people aren't bothered to see it happening.

Bang on!!!!

The more people continue to accept, justify or try to ignore it, the more Ashley will do and get away with.

I am not exaggerating when I say I believe this probably will stretch to shirt sponsorship, kit manufacturing, strip colours and even club name change.

The man is a complete c*** who will stop at nothing to advertise his cheap, tacky brand SD - the only part of his business I believe he actually cares about. Just because the books are balanced and we bought a striker (12 months late) doesn't mean I'll sit down and nod in agreement at graffiting a huge part of our city landscape with a f***ing horrible logo, and destroying a big part of this club's history.

Guest reefatoon

I wish anyone choosing to spray paint St James' Park back on the wall would use a f***ing stencil like.

Christ, what a whinge!

I wish anyone choosing to spray paint St James' Park back on the wall would use a f***ing stencil like.

Christ, what a whinge!

:lol:

It looks tacky as fuck man. I appreciate the sentiment like, but if you're going to 'vandalise' the walls of SJP atleast try and make it pleasant on the eye.

Guest reefatoon

Christ, what a whinge!

:lol:

It looks tacky as f*** man. I appreciate the sentiment like, but if you're going to 'vandalise' the walls of SJP atleast try and make it pleasant on the eye.

How long do you think they have?  They don't have time to get a stencil out , tape it to the wall, spirit level it to make sure it's straight, then paint it on, dear me, they are doing it in the dark and as quick as they can.

I can just see them trying to sneak around with a stencil under their arm!!!

Guest reefatoon

Tape a roll of wall paper to the wall and spray over it?

:lol:  Is it really that important that the Graffitti has to be so perfect?  Come on fella, man up, you're sounding like Laurence Lewelyn fooking Bowen!!

Guest Brazilianbob

I just find the reaction of the fans regarding this trivial matter quite sad really.  Don't people have more important things to worry about?

I just find the reaction of the fans regarding this trivial matter quite sad really.  Don't people have more important things to worry about?

i can worry about a couple of things at once, this is one of them. ta

i can worry about a couple of things at once, this is one of them. ta

Careful, you don't want to blow the poor bloke's mind.