Will Michael Owen Ever Return to His Best?

Delima

He hasn't been as good as he was for the last 2-3 years though.

At Real Madrid he was the leading goalscorer even though he was second choice

And in the 2001-2 season, Shearer finished joint 2nd top scorer in the Premier League behind Henry, doesn't mean he was as good as he was in 1996 does it?

He hasn't been as good as he was for the last 2-3 years though.

At Real Madrid he was the leading goalscorer even though he was second choice

And in the 2001-2 season, Shearer finished joint 2nd top scorer in the Premier League behind Henry, doesn't mean he was as good as he was in 1996 does it?

Of course not

My point was that he still managed to score goals even though he has not played that well

Van Nistelrooy did his knee in before he signed for Man Utd, wouldn't say he did too badly afterwards!

Aye.

When they've got nowt to do and no evidence of anything people like to speculate. Luque is probably considered a better option. ;)

Van Nistelrooy did his knee in before he signed for Man Utd, wouldn't say he did too badly afterwards!

Yeah... but he hadn't been getting slowly, but surely, worse leading up to it.

And for those going on about lack of evidence, it's not needed, you just need use some common sense. The guy will have barely kicked a ball in a competitive match for 18 months when he returns, he'd need to be a good few years younger to "retrun to his best" in my opinion, but then, I'm not a doctor, so opinions aren't valid on this subject.

I can't wait for him to return, especially now that we have Martins, but I'm just answering the question in hand.

He should return to the player we signed, or close to. If hes slightly slower, it will certainly affect his goalscoring chances/abilities since therell be passes or half chances that a slightly quicker Owen would bury that will now just get blocked or intercepted if he were to be any slower (have pointed this out before, but look at his goal against City at St James, hes very quickly off the mark to get that goal) - but hell still score frequently if the chances are there, and given the weakness of the Premiership outside the top 5/6, there are going to be alot of those for him if he plays enough games.

Guest Moe-Ali

I liked it, thanks Delima.

I believe that Michael Owen will still be very valuable to us.

Maybe not back to the menacing striker who shattered Argentina and astonished Germany before the age of 22.

But still a very good striker, i just want him to make space and help Obafemi, with his movement off the ball, and maybe eat up some of the scraps that oba leaves behind, so just a minor role for me untill he shows us he can be back to his best, and then maybe we will push him to being back at his best.

But for now, i still pinching myself that we got obafemi, because i loved martins for a long time at milan, and hes swapped his blue tripes for white ones, and made me and many of the other african nufc supporters, soooooooo very proud and happy.

Owen scores alot of his goals by poaching and feeding off balls played to him rather than have to work for his goals so imo he will be just as good, Shearer had alot more game involved in his play before his injury, like i said before Owen does far less but still gets results