Oba has been a terrific signing!

Guest SeattleToon

Guest SeattleToon

Let's give Roeder some credit....he may not have done much to strengthen our defense, but Oba (and Sibierski for that matter) has been a terrific signing.

Some stats:

Premier League Goalscoring:

MARTINS - 10

Henry - 10

Rooney - 10

Kuyt - 9

Defoe - 8

Bellamy - 7

Shevchenko - 3

European Goalscoring:

MARTINS - 6

Shevchencko - 2

Bellamy - 2

Defoe - 2

Henry - 1

Rooney - 0

Kuyt - 0

TOTAL GOALS:

MARTINS - 16

Henry - 11

Rooney - 10

Defoe - 10

Kuyt - 9

Bellamy - 9

Shevchenko - 5

Not bad in comparison, is it?

So lets stop talking about needing another striker and focus on improving our defense this summer! A healthy Owen combined with Oba will provide more than enough goals next year, and a healthy Ameobi and Dyer should be more than sufficient as backups, especially if we re-sign Sibierski.

i totally agree but you can't have a table without including

Didier Drogba Chelsea 18

Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 16

Benni McCarthy Blackburn Rovers 12

Yakubu Aiyegbeni Middlesbrough 12

Robin Van Persie Arsenal 11

So why is his 2nd touch nearly always a tackle?

Aye he's still raw in many aspects of his game, but I think everyone must agree that he's got all the talent at his feet.

Let's give Roeder some credit....he may not have done much to strengthen our defense, but Oba (and Sibierski for that matter) has been a terrific signing.

Some stats:

Premier League Goalscoring:

MARTINS - 10

Henry - 10

Rooney - 10

Kuyt - 9

Defoe - 8

Bellamy - 7

Shevchenko - 3

European Goalscoring:

MARTINS - 6

Shevchencko - 2

Bellamy - 2

Defoe - 2

Henry - 1

Rooney - 0

Kuyt - 0

TOTAL GOALS:

MARTINS - 16

Henry - 11

Rooney - 10

Defoe - 10

Kuyt - 9

Bellamy - 9

Shevchenko - 5

Not bad in comparison, is it?

So lets stop talking about needing another striker and focus on improving our defense this summer! A healthy Owen combined with Oba will provide more than enough goals next year, and a healthy Ameobi and Dyer should be more than sufficient as backups, especially if we re-sign Sibierski.

Interesting comparison.

Agree... with the prospect of Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen firepower next season and the quality in Midfield and depth cross the Midfield that Defense must certainly be the priority this Summer. 

I think re signing Jonathan Woodgate must be the main individual priority, we are talking about one of the best English centre backs available for a mere £5 million, i also think the situation at Man United is interesting Gabriel Heinze seems to have been totally frozen out and he is both very strong as a Centre back and a Left Back other then that i would love to see Roeder go for Gareth Bale who looks a fantastic prospect and could solve our Left Back area for many years to come.

I certainly agree that a Striker must not be the priority this Summer, i will be surprised if Roeder does go for Midfielders and Strikers.

He's a great player, and a great prospect, agreed. But he is far from the finished article, which for me, is a good thing because it means he's going to improve on what he's done this season.

I just hope he doesn't fade away next season because of the hype people are starting to make.

Not going to bang on too much about him but there is a reason Woodgate is available for a "mere £5m". Big gamble and given the fact we desperately need to improve our defence im not sure we can take it. If we had the quality in defence to cover any potential Woodgate absence then I would be more than happy to go for it but we really don't. If we want to progress we need to have a solid and stable back 4.

Dont need more centre backs,we already got Gooch (if he stays), Taylor, Bramble, Huntington, Edgar and er..Ramage...

What we need is a decent LB and a decent RB.

We should get proper european ones like Miguel or Maxwell etc..., and no CBs who "can play there"

We need full backs first but I still feel we need a solid player at centre back, I havent seen all that much of Gooch but the general impression I get is he is decent enough and has some good attributes but isn't going to make a vast improvement on our defence.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

So why is his 2nd touch nearly always a tackle?

If he makes the tackle I cant see a problem there ;) And I dont think its that bad. Had some nice flicks and some decent touches against AZ (for example when he recieved the ball from sib at his first goal).

Thing is though this is still Martins 1st Prem season and he will hit thr 20 mark I reckon. His 1st touch can be like an arthritic elephant at times but he is strong enough to fight for the ball when he does lose it.

I have 100% faith in him!!

Guest Invicta_Toon

I can't see Henry catching him

;D

Aye as his season is over  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

half woosh I reckon