Kieron's added finishing touch

Delima

Anyone has any idea who Glenn's coaching staff are?

The Journal

Mar 10 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

The Graeme Souness era is remembered with very little affection at St James's Park but Kieron Dyer last night credited a much-maligned regime with inspiring his reinvention as a reliable goalscorer.

Kieron Dyer celebrates his goal during the UEFA Cup second knockout round, first leg soccer match against AZ Alkmaar at St James' Park

The midfielder has never scored more than six times in a season during his seven-and-a-half year career in the North-East but, having equalled his best-ever total during this week's Uefa Cup win against AZ Alkmaar, Dyer is determined to ensure this is his most productive campaign yet in Newcastle colours.

While it is Glenn Roeder who is benefiting from the 28-year-old's new-found ruthlessness, it seems as though it was his predecessor's coaching team who did the most to address the greatest failing in the player's game. Dyer last night recalled the tireless hours he spent working with Dean Saunders in special sessions designed to improve his finishing - and admitted he owed the Welshman a great debt for solving his well-documented goalscoring problems.

"Six goals is a good return for me this season, especially for someone who isn't supposed to be a decent finisher," said the Gallowgate favourite, who will have at least 10 games to break the seven-goal barrier for the first time since his £6.5m move from Ipswich.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"It has always been highlighted as a weakness of mine. But I have worked hard over the last few seasons to improve and I think that Dean Saunders deserves a lot of credit for that. When Graeme Souness came to the club, I was getting so many one-on-one chances and I almost used to panic in front of goal.

"It was the same with Craig Bellamy. But we both put in hours and hours on the training pitch to rectify that with Dean and I have to give credit to him for that. He was a striker who excelled in tucking away chances like that and that practice has paid off for me. Every time I have a chance now, I feel comfortable that I'm going to finish it off."

Dyer demonstrated his renewed confidence when he found himself one-on-one with AZ keeper Boy Waterman during Newcastle's 4-1 win against the Eredivisie outfit. A chance he would once have wasted was converted with relish to put Roeder's team 2-0 up.

"When I was getting into goalscoring positions in the past, I was looking across for one of my team-mates to put away a tap-in," he explained. "The first thought I had was to pass rather than shoot and perhaps I wasn't greedy enough. But now my mindset is to take a shot first and the goal (against AZ) was a nice little dink. It wasn't a mental thing as such, we solved it as the coaches looked at the technique and spotted something."

Such improvements have enabled Dyer to score six times in 19 first-team starts this season. It is the fourth time he has reached such a total but such is his appetite for goals these days, he is far from satisfied.

"I'm hopeful of getting a few more before the end of the campaign," he added. "I'm pleased with my goals ratio at the minute, but you always want more."

Dyer's chances will improve if Roeder's men can extend their season by securing a place in the Uefa Cup quarter-finals. Newcastle will take a 4-2 lead to the Netherlands and although the last-16 tie is delicately-balanced, Emre is confident United have what it takes to go all the way to the final.

"I was playing for Galatasaray when we won the Uefa Cup (against Arsenal in 2000) and I think we have the potential to get to the final," said the Turkish international, who made his long-awaited comeback last week.

# AZ Alkmaar will be looking to keep up the pressure on Dutch League leaders PSV Eindhoven when they host Feyenoord at the DSB Stadium tomorrow.

Defending champions PSV hold a seven-point lead over Louis van Gaal's side, who will try to overturn a 4-2 Uefa Cup deficit when Newcastle visit next Thursday.

Anyone has any idea who Glenn's coaching staff are?

The Journal

Mar 10 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

The Graeme Souness era is remembered with very little affection at St James's Park but Kieron Dyer last night credited a much-maligned regime with inspiring his reinvention as a reliable goalscorer.

Kieron Dyer celebrates his goal during the UEFA Cup second knockout round, first leg soccer match against AZ Alkmaar at St James' Park

The midfielder has never scored more than six times in a season during his seven-and-a-half year career in the North-East but, having equalled his best-ever total during this week's Uefa Cup win against AZ Alkmaar, Dyer is determined to ensure this is his most productive campaign yet in Newcastle colours.

While it is Glenn Roeder who is benefiting from the 28-year-old's new-found ruthlessness, it seems as though it was his predecessor's coaching team who did the most to address the greatest failing in the player's game. Dyer last night recalled the tireless hours he spent working with Dean Saunders in special sessions designed to improve his finishing - and admitted he owed the Welshman a great debt for solving his well-documented goalscoring problems.

"Six goals is a good return for me this season, especially for someone who isn't supposed to be a decent finisher," said the Gallowgate favourite, who will have at least 10 games to break the seven-goal barrier for the first time since his £6.5m move from Ipswich.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"It has always been highlighted as a weakness of mine. But I have worked hard over the last few seasons to improve and I think that Dean Saunders deserves a lot of credit for that. When Graeme Souness came to the club, I was getting so many one-on-one chances and I almost used to panic in front of goal.

"It was the same with Craig Bellamy. But we both put in hours and hours on the training pitch to rectify that with Dean and I have to give credit to him for that. He was a striker who excelled in tucking away chances like that and that practice has paid off for me. Every time I have a chance now, I feel comfortable that I'm going to finish it off."

Dyer demonstrated his renewed confidence when he found himself one-on-one with AZ keeper Boy Waterman during Newcastle's 4-1 win against the Eredivisie outfit. A chance he would once have wasted was converted with relish to put Roeder's team 2-0 up.

"When I was getting into goalscoring positions in the past, I was looking across for one of my team-mates to put away a tap-in," he explained. "The first thought I had was to pass rather than shoot and perhaps I wasn't greedy enough. But now my mindset is to take a shot first and the goal (against AZ) was a nice little dink. It wasn't a mental thing as such, we solved it as the coaches looked at the technique and spotted something."

Such improvements have enabled Dyer to score six times in 19 first-team starts this season. It is the fourth time he has reached such a total but such is his appetite for goals these days, he is far from satisfied.

"I'm hopeful of getting a few more before the end of the campaign," he added. "I'm pleased with my goals ratio at the minute, but you always want more."

Dyer's chances will improve if Roeder's men can extend their season by securing a place in the Uefa Cup quarter-finals. Newcastle will take a 4-2 lead to the Netherlands and although the last-16 tie is delicately-balanced, Emre is confident United have what it takes to go all the way to the final.

"I was playing for Galatasaray when we won the Uefa Cup (against Arsenal in 2000) and I think we have the potential to get to the final," said the Turkish international, who made his long-awaited comeback last week.

# AZ Alkmaar will be looking to keep up the pressure on Dutch League leaders PSV Eindhoven when they host Feyenoord at the DSB Stadium tomorrow.

Defending champions PSV hold a seven-point lead over Louis van Gaal's side, who will try to overturn a 4-2 Uefa Cup deficit when Newcastle visit next Thursday.

:o

Dyer in bigging himself up shocker.

Ally in having a dig at Dyer shocker  :D

:D

He scored a good goal the other day like, but I absolutely hate the little prick and think he's the most overrated player in the squad by a long way. I also wish he'd keep his cocky little mouth shut!

Dyer in bigging himself up shocker.

Ally in having a dig at Dyer shocker  :D

:D

He scored a good goal the other day like, but I absolutely hate the little prick and think he's the most overrated player in the squad by a long way. I also wish he'd keep his cocky little mouth shut!

Luque? Duff?

Harry McGreatstriker and Jan Score-Alotagoals, think they came from West Ham which would explain their problems this season.

I am genuinely interested to know Roeder's backroom staff. By the way I actually think that Roeder (or his staff) is not bad in coaching strikers. Martins' movement is good. Sibierski, a player not even appreciated by Man City has flourished here. He also coached Carroll (star striker for under 18 n reserve) and Defoe.

Harry McGreatstriker and Jan Score-Alotagoals, think they came from West Ham which would explain their problems this season.

I am genuinely interested to know Roeder's backroom staff. By the way I actually think that Roeder (or his staff) is not bad in coaching strikers. Martins' movement is good. Sibierski, a player not even appreciated by Man City has flourished here. He also coached Carroll (star striker for under 18 n reserve) and Defoe.

First Team Manager Glenn Roeder

Assistant Manager Nigel Pearson

Reserve Team Manager Lee Clark

First Team Coach Lee Clark

First Team Coach Terry McDermott

GK Coach Terry Gennoe

Academy Manager Joe Joyce 

Academy Coach Kenny Wharton 

Academy Coach Peter Beardsley 

Academy Fitness Coach TBA 

Academy GK Coach Adam Sadler 

Academy Physiotherapist Kev Bell 

Physiotherapist Derek Wright 

Assistant Physio Paul Ferris 

Fitness Coach Adrian Lamb

Chief Scout David Mills 

Hmm this confirms my suspicion.

First Team Manager Glenn Roeder

Assistant Manager Nigel Pearson

First Team Coach Lee Clark

First Team Coach Terry McDermott

GK Coach Terry Gennoe

Who will be coaching the offensive players??

Why is such enmity towards Malaysian people?

Have you not met Geordies who rate Luque?

No

Think you should expand your social circles. Also would like to hear who are those fan boys from Malaysia who rate Luque.

Why is such enmity towards Malaysian people?

Have you not met Geordies who rate Luque?

No

Think you should expand your social circles. Also would like to hear who are those fan boys from Malaysia who rate Luque.

Which Geordies who have actually watched Luque, rate him? By watch, I mean not on YouTube.

No idea what the fanboys user-names are, but don't pretend they don't exist. SLK is from Australia, thats near enough. ;)

Which Geordies who have actually watched Luque, rate him? By watch, I mean not on YouTube.

No idea what the fanboys user-names are, but don't pretend they don't exist. SLK is from Australia, thats near enough. ;)

I don't think anyone, SLK included, rate Luque based on his appearance as Newcastle United. And I resent your generalisation.

I don't think anyone, SLK included, rate Luque based on his appearance as Newcastle United. And I resent your generalisation.

Are you from Malaysia like? Sorry for any offence but it is a common theme!

Give the lad a break, please. His finishing has improved immeasurably, mainly because he's added that little chip over the keeper to his repertoire. Often that's far more effective than a blast, unless you can hit them like Shearer.

He's also giving credit to a coach whose local reputation isn't great, which is good to hear. Often people are subjected to these black and white judgements, and it's good that someone takes the trouble to modify that a bit.

Dyer: I've hit a brick wall

Mar 11 2007

By The Sunday Sun

Kieron Dyer admits he has "hit a brick wall" since Christmas as the adrenalin rush of his comeback has ebbed away.

But Newcastle fans needn't worry: tiredness rather than twinges has been Dyer's worry in recent weeks.

Indeed, United's long lost son has so much faith in his underlying fitness that he does not want the season to end.

"They say adrenalin gets you through the first 10 or 15 games back. And when I first came back into the team, I felt amazing," says Dyer.

"But there was a spell after the Christmas period, because I'd been out for so long, when I was hitting a brick wall.

"My legs were absolutely knackered. Not my hamstrings, just my legs in general.

"I had been missing a lot of training. I was turning up on the training pitch on just a Thursday and a Friday and then playing on a Saturday."

In that context, United boss Glenn Roeder's anger at Steve McClaren's decision to play Dyer throughout England's friendly against Spain on February 7 appears more than justified.

"He (Roeder) was a bit gutted that I played the full 90 minutes because my legs needed a rest," adds Dyer.

"But that means it may be a big blessing in disguise for me that we are out of the FA Cup.

"We've got another free weekend now, we're getting the weekend off, and it will be good to recharge our batteries for the great run-in we have coming.

"And with the players we've got coming back, the manager may be able to chop and change, which he's not been able to do this season.

"I'm just gutted that the season is going to be over in seven or eight weeks. But that's life."

Feeling the love

Mar 11 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Kieron Dyer is frustrated and confused. But then, who isn't one or the other when they've just fallen in love?

Frustrated and confused by switching positions so often that he no longer has a clue what his best role is.

But fallen in love - or back in love, at least - with a game he took for granted before being shut out of it for 18 months while ill or injured.

And the good news for Newcastle is that Dyer is feeling the love more than he is the confusion or frustration.

"You do take this job for granted," says the older, wiser England international. "You do take your eye off the ball and become complacent.

"But to have it taken away from you for 18 months - with people saying your career could be over - makes you fall in love with it again.

"You can't wait to get back training, and you can't wait to be back playing again.

"Well, that's certainly been the case with me, and long may that feeling continue."

But not all in Dyer's life is chocolates and roses, with the 28-year-old still not sweet on being switched from pillar to post - by club and country.

And he admits the bitter truth is that he now has no idea what his best position is.

"People always ask me that question. But I'm so confused now, I don't know," he admits.

"I'll play anywhere I'm asked to play - for England as well. I learnt the hard way that football's not about individuals, it's about a team.

"But you talk about consistency . . . how are you meant to find consistency when one week you are in centre midfield, then you're up front, then you're right wing?

"Along with injuries, it's just something I've had to live with. But it's frustrating, and I honestly don't know where my best position is now.

"I just wonder where I'm going to play next. But as long as I'm playing, I don't really mind."

Dyer's versatility has also been both boon and bane at England level.

And you get the impression it is why he plays down suggestions that he may be the answer to the David Beckham dilemma.

Replacing the former skipper and right-sided stalwart is proving such a problem that the Bring Becks Back bandwagon is rolling ahead of this month's Euro 2008 qualifiers in Israel and Andorra.

"In the game against Spain last month, I played parts of the first half on the left and parts of the second half on the right," said Dyer.

"You do what the manager says, give it your all and hopefully you can do a job for them.

"But with the debate over whether Frank Lampard and Stevie Gerrard can play together in the centre, Owen Hargreaves putting in some great performances and the emergence of Aaron Lennon, there's a lot of competition for places.

"The manager and Terry (Venables) will have their ideas. I just hope I'm in the squad to find out what those ideas are."

Who rates Luque? Apart from a few fanboys in Malaysia.

A worrying amount of people, who keep springing up in the Luque thread saying how great he is and he should be given a chance.

Guest anthony118

I used to have sympathy for him (like when he scored against Palermo and was then dropped) but anyone who saw the Zulte home leg would have seen what lazy sod he is. Against a mediocre opposition, he just looked uninterested, and the fastest he ran was when he got subbed off.

I think he has turned a massive corner, he has grown up a lot and is proving very much his worth, his energy levels are amazing. I shudder to think where we would be in the keague now if he had bot made it back this season.

Keep it up Kieron!!  O0 O0

Who rates Luque? Apart from a few fanboys in Malaysia.

A worrying amount of people, who keep springing up in the Luque thread saying how great he is and he should be given a chance.

I bet none of those people go to the games though.