Martins' Worth?

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As someone said before, NE5 is Shepherd's idea of the perfect Newcastle fan.

Zero ambition, doesn't mind us slipping backwards as long as it isn't as far back as we were pre 1992 and loves nothing better than a big name trophy signing.

If I'm like that when I'm 52 then do me a favour and shoot me. :hunter:

you wouldn't know a board with zero ambition if it hit you in the head with a pickaxe.

You are better off sticking to toontastic with all the other idiots that agree with your nonsensical, idealistic views.

I am glad I wasn't as stupid and deluded as you when I was 16.

I'm actually surprised you haven't gone after a lot more of the threads that are coming up today.

Plenty of opportunities to defend the Shepherd and co. all over the board right now.

the point isn't to "defend" anyone mate.

Just to point out how the real world works

NE5, Why the fuck did you even bring up that talk about the board in this thread? It's a thread about Martins and his value compared to other strikers. Funny thing is, when you started, you even quoted the original poster who in no fucking way slagged off the board. You just make yourself look like a one-hit-wonder.

Also, your slagging off of all supporters under roughly 20 years of age is pathetic, please stop that. We don't live in the '80s, when mediocrity perhaps was accepted. Oh, and if the Toon wasn't a mediocre club back then, I apologise; I have to admit, I do not know our history that well. Doesn't make me less of a supporter though.

Stick to the topic next time, so you won't force me into going off-topic.

Rant over.

Oh and Toon's or GeJon, change avatar! :p

For the record, and I really think you should stop generalising and accusing me of doing things when you clearly have not seen posts I have made where I have explained myself clearly with regard to the bold bit .....

I was highly amused - and saddened at the same time - by toons taylors post [as indeed I am by many of his posts] where he whinges on and on and on about the terrible state of the club, and the disgraceful situation we are in where we have only qualified for europe more than any club bar 4 in the last decade, and we have only managed to buy major international footballer to the club during the last decade. I mean, excuse me, but it simply just isn't good enough, not for a person like Toonstaylor, who thinks that we have always won things and cannot accept we have not kept on winning trophies galore since he decided he wanted to start "supporting" Newcastle United in 1988 or whatever he says.

I mean, if anyone complains about Martins, toonstaylor will tell you when the club bought players like Rob MacDonald, Tony Cunningham and Frank Pingel. We were a big club then, and acted as such, just like nowadays. He was there, so he knows.

In the event I am wrong, and he seriously does think the club have the worst directors in the history of football, I just think that giving them credit for the signing of Martins, is worth mentioning, don't you ? You never know, he might stop and wonder how the worst directors in the history of football could back their manager to do such a thing. Unless of course he doesn't recall those players........

Guest Magic

I'd say his market value is probably around 20 million quid.

Athleticism + pace + incredibly powerful shot + very two-footed = ~13 million.

Plus youth = ~17 million

Plus good, high profile goals vs. Tottenham, Alkmaar etc. = ~20 million. If he'd buried his chance tonight you could add another couple of million onto it.

I'd say his market value is probably around 20 million quid.

Athleticism + pace + incredibly powerful shot + very two-footed = ~13 million.

Plus youth = ~17 million

Plus good, high profile goals vs. Tottenham, Alkmaar etc. = ~20 million. If he'd buried his chance tonight you could add another couple of million onto it.

he's a good player, but sadly like many others, you are overestimating him on the basis he has scored "high profle goals".

I'm not knocking you mate, but what exactly is a "high profile goal "

A Cup winning goal, or in the eyes of people like Baggio  :lol: would that make him a "trophy player"  :lol: :lol:

Fact is, the best strikers score goals in the 6 yard box, score when it matters, and don't miss as many chances close in , rather than score spectacular efforts. This is what makes them the best strikers. You don't get a bonus goal or extra points for being spectacular.

He didn't bury his chance tonight, BTW. And his overall play is limited, and always will be unless he learns to get his head up.

Guest Magic
he's a good player, but sadly like many others, you are overestimating him on the basis he has scored "high profle goals".

A Cup winning goal, or in the eyes of people like Baggio  :lol: would that make him a "trophy player"  :lol: :lol:

Fact is, the best strikers score goals in the 6 yard box, score when it matters, and don't miss as many chances close in , rather than score spectacular efforts. This is what makes them the best strikers. You don't get a bonus goal or extra points for being spectacular.

He didn't bury his chance tonight, BTW. And his overall play is limited, and always will be unless he learns to get his head up.

Don't worry, I agree with you. I said 'market value' rather than 'value' precisely because of this. His goal vs Spurs and his goals vs Alkmaar are likely to be highlight package material (spectacular/ good + in Europe), thus high profile (though perhaps that's a bad term). Anyway, they're likely to increase his value a fair amount. If a player scores a few spectacular goals you think he must be able to put away the tap-ins as well (Tony Yeboah style), even though getting to tap-ins requires a different set of skills.

His first touch needs to come along a bit. His vision too, although I 've seen a few instances to tell me he has a decent eye for a throughball. It's his movement that I think needs improving most though, to make the best of his pace.

Quite sad really, we have just been knocked out of Europe after a shocking performance and the only thing NE5 has posted about is "THE BOARD". Pathetic, you have another website don't you, why don't you just call it www.argumentabouttheboard.com and just invite people onto that as its all you ever fucking talk about and it seems like a waste having all this other stuff on a forum that doesnt seem to bother you.

A Cup winning goal, or in the eyes of people like Baggio  :lol: would that make him a "trophy player"   :lol: :lol:

Don't worry, I agree with you. I said 'market value' rather than 'value' precisely because of this. His goal vs Spurs and his goals vs Alkmaar are likely to be highlight package material (spectacular/ good + in Europe), thus high profile (though perhaps that's a bad term). Anyway, they're likely to increase his value a fair amount. If a player scores a few spectacular goals you think he must be able to put away the tap-ins as well (Tony Yeboah style), even though getting to tap-ins requires a different set of skills.

His first touch needs to come along a bit. His vision too, although I 've seen a few instances to tell me he has a decent eye for a throughball. It's his movement that I think needs improving most though, to make the best of his pace.

His first touch is often absolutely awful.

Guest Invicta_Toon

A Cup winning goal, or in the eyes of people like Baggio  :lol: would that make him a "trophy player"   :lol: :lol:

His first touch is often absolutely awful.

but his last touch is mint

Quite sad really, we have just been knocked out of Europe after a shocking performance and the only thing NE5 has posted about is "THE BOARD". Pathetic, you have another website don't you, why don't you just call it www.argumentabouttheboard.com and just invite people onto that as its all you ever fucking talk about and it seems like a waste having all this other stuff on a forum that doesnt seem to bother you.

shame Jon, because I think you should set up a site and call it www.knocktheboard.com because its all you seem to do, while qualifying for europe in the first place appears to completely escape you, like many others.

Guest elbee909

while qualifying for europe in the first place appears to completely escape you

Looks like qualifying for Europe is going to escape NUFC this season, eh.

shame Jon, because I think you should set up a site and call it www.knocktheboard.com because its all you seem to do, while qualifying for europe in the first place appears to completely escape you, like many others.

Please have a look at my last 100 posts and if even half as many as yours are about the board I will admit its all I go on about. Im confident out of my thousands of posts it would be lucky that 100 of them are about the board where as I would be suprised if out of the thousands of your posts 100 werent about the board.

Edit: From my last 100 posts I slate the board a WHOLE zero times, good luck with the whole "All GeJon does is knock the board" thing :lol: im sure from your last 100 posts you don't mention the board once ;)

Not sure what he's worth tbh.

He reminds of Macdonald right now, a bit of a one-man band, not a team player really. He's got a lot going for him but he's got a lot of improving to do because there's more to it than scoring goals. Shearer scored loads but was a team player also. Obviously as a world class player not everyone can be like Shearer, but Martins has to at least try to improve in the areas of team play where at the moment he's not really that good. Scoring goals and adding team play has to be his target, then he'll be worth a great deal more than he's worth right now.

I expect him to improve when he's partnered by Owen, providing they get the service, which is going to be a problem with our current midfield/rest of the team.

Are you two here just to defend the board? Im guessing the vast majority of your posts and NE5's also on Toontastic are about the board.

Eh?

Which part of my post didn't you understand, matey?

Are you here just to post shite?

I understood it all, so in short you two are only here to post when people talk about the board. I thought so but I am glad this has been confirmed. Do they pay you for this or is it just a hobby?

He reminds of Macdonald right now, a bit of a one-man band, not a team player really. He's got a lot going for him but he's got a lot of improving to do because there's more to it than scoring goals. Shearer scored loads but was a team player also. Obviously as a world class player not everyone can be like Shearer, but Martins has to at least try to improve in the areas of team play where at the moment he's not really that good. Scoring goals and adding team play has to be his target, then he'll be worth a great deal more than he's worth right now.

I expect him to improve when he's partnered by Owen, providing they get the service, which is going to be a problem with our current midfield/rest of the team.

I pretty much agree with all of that, you can't expect an Owen and Martins partnership to work if we continue to fire long balls up from the back every time we get the ball.

I pretty much agree with all of that, you can't expect an Owen and Martins partnership to work if we continue to fire long balls up from the back every time we get the ball.

Absolutely, and that is going to be a big, big problem that I can see happening unless some other areas are changed. It's why I want to see Emre in the middle in place of Parker, for example.

Absolutely, and that is going to be a big, big problem that I can see happening unless some other areas are changed. It's why I want to see Emre in the middle in place of Parker, for example.

The problem is we have a group of players who are regulars to the first team and are absolutely fucking hopeless with a football at their feet - Carr, Bramble, Moore, Taylor, Ramage, Babayaro and Parker are all technically inept, if you look at Alkmaar last night they didn't have any great individuals but because they can all do the simple things well they embarrassed us.

This is something we need to aim towards, it doesn't have to be expensive (I bet AZ bought their whole team for less than we paid for Luque) but it's something that would move the team forwards and have us playing football worth watching, I can't see it ever happening under Roeder though.