Gooch Onyewu

Nobby

From a press conference ahead of the USA vs. Ecuador friendly on Sunday:

On how you have improved and what parts of your game have benefited as you look back at the World Cup and your time at Newcastle:

“First of all, I think the transition from playing in the Belgium League to playing in the English Premiere League, there is a definite change of pace in the game. Everybody tells you that once you play in the Premiership you have to make your decisions a lot quicker and you have to be more precise with your game plan. I think that’s where I’m improving in my game, to be a lot crisper with the decisions that I make and the passes that I give. And I’m feeling that now coming into the national team camp, I’m improving with each training session. So hopefully that will continue to go on like that.”

On his confidence to assume the role of a leader on defense:

“If called upon, yes. I have no problem with stepping up to that leadership role. I think that in any team the back four should be the main base of the team in terms of defensive strength and leadership role. So if I was called to that role I’d be able to take it as well as a number of other players.”

On if he is confident that his transfer to Newcastle is going to be permanent:

“I’m confident in the sense that I think I’ve been improving with Newcastle, but in my experience as a soccer player I try not to read into coaches’ decisions so that’s gonna have to be up to the coach in a couple weeks come April time. So we’re gonna have to wait and see. I don’t want to read too much into my performance or the future from here.”

On the contrast between Belgium and England in his professional career:

“I’ve been at Newcastle a couple months now, and it is definitely, training-wise, a lot more intense. Not to put anything down in the Belgium league, but the Premiership is definitely a step up. The playing experience has been tremendous. Since I’ve been there, I’ve started every league game that we’ve had. The pace of the game has been exceptional, and I feel like I’m settling in well. I’ve been getting into the groove and learning from every game. Hopefully, at the end of the season, good things will come out of my experience there.”

Guest leon b

Sounds like a pretty honest interview, i have heard mix reviews about him so far.

haven't seen him play yet.

Has he been improving each game he plays?

Guest leon b

Im keen to see him do well.physically he looks superb but he will need to have inteligence in order to defend well in this league.

Has he looked like a smart player or just a brute?

to me it's always the players with the least physical attributes that seem to be the smartest defenders as they are forced to use brain before brawl.

Bramble #2

Your wrong, like.

Maybe. Im just saying that for me he has looked dangerously similar to Bramble. Strong lad who often panics with the ball on his feet and shoots it over the sideline. Not someone who I'd call an intelligent defender and good at reading the game (which I think we are desperately lacking). Big boy who makes the occasional mint challenge but lacks on the skill department too much.

Hope I'm wrong like :thup:

..and please don't give the "you stupid fuck. you cant judge him after just a few matches" speach. I know, need to see more of him but the above is my view so far

Bramble #2

Your wrong, like.

Maybe. Im just saying that for me he has looked dangerously similar to Bramble. Strong lad who often panics with the ball on his feet and shoots it over the sideline. Not someone who I'd call an intelligent defender and good at reading the game (which I think we are desperately lacking). Big boy who makes the occasional mint challenge but lacks on the skill department too much.

Hope I'm wrong like :thup:

..and please don't give the "you stupid f***. you cant judge him after just a few matches" speach. I know, need to see more of him but the above is my view so far

He's coming from the Belgian league, mate.  Bit harsh your opinion, if his performances don't improve by the end of May, I think you might be spot on.  8 more games to do his thing, think he deserves that. 

Guest leon b

I think that although it will be hard to judge him on just a few appearances people can have an opinion on him.

The problem is the expectation will be high because we can't defend for shit and many people thought he would be our long lost saviour.

Guest pistonism

He has a good body,

but I was totally shocked when he was pushed by Darren Bent and went sprawling down...

That reminded me of Carr vs Diop.

I think that although it will be hard to judge him on just a few appearances people can have an opinion on him.

The problem is the expectation will be high because we can't defend for shit and many people thought he would be our long lost saviour.

I don't think it's so much that people expect him to be our savior, as much as it's the fact that he was our ONLY signing during the Jan. transfer window. People kind of expect him to prove he was worth our not bringing in anyone else. Not fair to him, IMO, since he's hardly responsible for Roeder's lack of activity, but there it is...

I think he would be a solid player with a good, reliable centre half next to him for a run of games next season.

As much as I rate him, thats not going to be Steven Taylor, so we'd still have to buy, meaning Taylor would be on the bench as our first choice replacement.

I think Gooch needs a run. To be fair, he's playing at a much higher level than he's ever played before, in a new country and with unfamiliar teammates. He's also not helped by the fact he's probably never played in the same back four since he signed.

Guest leon b

I just hope he proves his worth, i had big expectations of him but people seem very sceptical.

Centre half is the position we need to strenthen the most so if he works out it's a bonus.

Speaking of centre halves, we keep getting linked with curtis davies and anton ferdinand, what do you guys think of those guys?

Both Ferdinand & Davies are a bit inexperienced for what we need now.

I'd like to see a 'reader' of the game who can organise, lead and inspire the other 3.

One or two mistakes from those lads and they would be in the unfortunate position of having to win over a very sceptical crowd following our experience with Bramble et al.

Guest leon b

Exactly what im thinking, i can't understand us being linked with them! i've seen davies and ferdinand have some really shocking games this season and would be worried if we were sticking our defensive hope on them.

were not going to get woody back so who else is out there with those qualities?

There are some options out there:

Distin - Not a leader imo nor an organiser, but a solid centre half.

Mellberg - More an organiser than a leader, but wouldn't let us down.

Woodgate - All of the above but will his injury record hold up? Doubt it.

There is also some Spanish Centre Halves (typical no-nonsense, hard fuckers) playing in La Liga but whether they could adapt and then lead a back four in the EPL is the million dollar question.

From what Dr S has said about Disitin before he seems to control the Man City defence quite well.

In that case, fair enough, just basing my opinion on what I saw of him first time around TBH. Regardless, for free he would be a good buy IMO.

Him and Gooch would work well together.

Guest leon b

Mellberg is a great shout actually, but im sure he's in contract talk with villa.Distin is a bit dodgy for me.

i think we just need a good combination of Height, Pace, Intelligence and guile.

Coaching is also going to be very important, there are loads of teams with shite defenders but as a unit put us to shame.

Guest leon b

look at guys like stubbs and weir, they were rock solid playing for everton and hardly seemed to get exposed, even though they lacked pace.

We shouldn't buy him just because he's available. There are plenty of defenders available for around £2m. Some will go on to be very good, some will go on to be very bad and there will be many in between.

We landed Gooch as a desperate panic buy after our failure to make any signings in January. We needed someone, anyone, and Gooch was available on loan. His signing did not come as a result of months of scouting and checks, someone hit the panic button and some unknown from the Belgian league came in to help us out during our injury crisis. If he turns out to be good then it's a total fluke.

Guest TampaToon

he's owned up to his occasional shortcomings in decision-making, but is justified in attributing it to the Prem transition....him and bramble give us a pairing that can outmuscle the most physical forwards. i like him on the team for a bit of versatility in setting lineups. i think he can be a valuable part of the team starting or coming off the bench and gives us some tactical flexibility.

the ecuador game is in tampa, more than likely i'll be in attendance on sunday to see how he does.

Guest nufc_geordie

In my opinion I wouldn't offer him a cointract. From what I have seen in the games so far (I have either been there or watched on Art Sport) he is no different to Bramble and we deem him a failure and want him out. Definite lapses in concentration although he does have all of the attributes to be a cracking player.

Would rather spend the money on Hyypia etc, who are realiable proven premiership quality.