Mick Lowes Article

Guest Texasmag

Guest Texasmag

Link

Mick's Lowdown 24/03/2007

By Mick Lowes

It might sound strange but, for me, the sooner Sunderland reach the promised land of the Premiership the better!

Not for four seasons have Tyne and Wear locked horns consistently, and the return of the fixture cannot come soon enough for me.

Not only is the diluted Tyne-Tees derby a poor substitute, Middlesbrough's presence in the Premiership has nothing like the galvanizing effect that the addition of the Black Cats would have.

United, like many of the top flight, find themselves in a "comfort zone" which is getting increasingly difficult to escape from.

Above them, a leading quartet of Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool – difficult to compete with, more difficult to break into.

Below them, clubs with such a lack of resources that survival is almost impossible from day one – Watford, West Ham and, the now fighting, Charlton have been virtually doomed since Christmas.

It all leaves Newcastle, amongst others, in a no-win, no-lose, scenario.

No threat of relegation, no genuine aspiration of serious silverware.

Not only would the arrival of Roy Keane's arch rival Sunderland provide an added impetus, their promotion would coincide with the dramatic increase in prize money via the new TV deal.

As a result not only the division's new-boys, but also this season's survivors would have record funds available to strengthen depleted squads.

Yes, the same money can also be used by the top four to strengthen their already strangle-like hold on the division, but aren't they already armed to the hilt?

Simply the fact that United could find themselves sitting five places below those from the Stadium of Light must be used as the most powerful incentive available for improved performances.

Just cast your mind back to last season.

In an otherwise disastrous campaign, Sunderland pulled out all the stumps both, on Tyne and Wear, only to bring the best out of United and lose both games.

Weren't  the Black and White wins at both St James's and the Stadium of Light just about the biggest highlights of the entire campaign?

Ask Michael Chopra, Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer (for varying reasons), to name but three, whether they will ever forget that second half on Wearside last Spring?

I seriously doubt it!

So, while not common place, let's occasionally cast an interested eye the way of the Championship over the coming weeks, and who knows we might just be welcoming back as good a local derby as there is.

You know it makes sense!

Guest andynufc84

Mick has always seen NUFC through rose tinted specs imo. I don't see how the the mackems getting promoted will provide

us with fresh 'impetus'.

Guest Knightrider

If we are relying on the improvement in the mackems to stir us into some kind of improvement ourselves, we deserve mid-table mediocrity. Why not use Liverpool's success since Benitez as inspiration, or Wenger's ability to win trophies spending little money. FFS.

Guest andynufc84

Link

Mick's Lowdown 24/03/2007

By Mick Lowes

It might sound strange but, for me, the sooner Sunderland reach the promised land of the Premiership the better!

Not for four seasons have Tyne and Wear locked horns consistently, and the return of the fixture cannot come soon enough for me.

Not only is the diluted Tyne-Tees derby a poor substitute, Middlesbrough's presence in the Premiership has nothing like the galvanizing effect that the addition of the Black Cats would have.

United, like many of the top flight, find themselves in a "comfort zone" which is getting increasingly difficult to escape from.

Above them, a leading quartet of Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool difficult to compete with, more difficult to break into.

Below them, clubs with such a lack of resources that survival is almost impossible from day one Watford, West Ham and, the now fighting, Charlton have been virtually doomed since Christmas.

It all leaves Newcastle, amongst others, in a no-win, no-lose, scenario.

No threat of relegation, no genuine aspiration of serious silverware.

Not only would the arrival of Roy Keane's arch rival Sunderland provide an added impetus, their promotion would coincide with the dramatic increase in prize money via the new TV deal.

As a result not only the division's new-boys, but also this season's survivors would have record funds available to strengthen depleted squads.

Yes, the same money can also be used by the top four to strengthen their already strangle-like hold on the division, but aren't they already armed to the hilt?

Simply the fact that United could find themselves sitting five places below those from the Stadium of Light must be used as the most powerful incentive available for improved performances.Just cast your mind back to last season.

In an otherwise disastrous campaign, Sunderland pulled out all the stumps both, on Tyne and Wear, only to bring the best out of United and lose both games.

Weren't  the Black and White wins at both St James's and the Stadium of Light just about the biggest highlights of the entire campaign?

Ask Michael Chopra, Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer (for varying reasons), to name but three, whether they will ever forget that second half on Wearside last Spring?

I seriously doubt it!

So, while not common place, let's occasionally cast an interested eye the way of the Championship over the coming weeks, and who knows we might just be welcoming back as good a local derby as there is.

You know it makes sense!

WTF?

Guest Knightrider

Simply the fact that United could find themselves sitting five places below those from the Stadium of Light must be used as the most powerful incentive available for improved performances.

Aye, never mind the 52,000 mugs that pay the wages, pride, professionalism and anything else, "look, the mackems are coming, shit, get the new curtains up and wash that fucking door step."

Mick has always seen NUFC through rose tinted specs imo. I don't see how the the mackems getting promoted will provide

us with fresh 'impetus'.

Will give us 6 points though.

Wouldn't bet on that, Jon...

what scares me is if the mackems get promotion and make some canny signings and make a good start  they could in theory be taking the piss out of us . dont mock as this could happen if we fook up in the transfer window again and our form is the same as this season .

Guest Mantis

You cant discount the fact they may give us a game as the majority of fans would never have envisaged us being played off our own park bu Sheff U. 

I often think the best comes out of the players in the big games.  It is always the Wigan, Fulham and Charlton type games where the players let themselves down.

You cant discount the fact they may give us a game as the majority of fans would never have envisaged us being played off our own park bu Sheff U. 

I often think the best comes out of the players in the big games.  It is always the Wigan, Fulham and Charlton type games where the players let themselves down.

i know eaxctly where your coming from with that but the manager and players have a habit of letting it happen too often for our liking and the manager has to take responsibility for allowing it .

what scares me is if the mackems get promotion and make some canny signings and make a good start  they could in theory be taking the piss out of us . dont mock as this could happen if we fook up in the transfer window again and our form is the same as this season .

Agree with this...

the scum seem to have a set of players and a culture that is desperate to win games. Add to that a few decent signings, and our continued mediocracy and ability to not give a shit, and they might be looking at the first scum derby victory for a few years.

Roeder seriously needs to produce the goods in this summer transfer window.

Lowes is partly right - a  few humiliations at the hands of a Keane-managed Sunderland MIGHT - MIGHT- just cause enough anger and outrage among the blindly-loyal to cause them to boycott SJP for a season or two. Maybe THAT would force Shepherd out, because nothing else will, and it will take something like that before NUFC is in a position to shake out of the downward spiral.

Oh, and before anyone says it couldn't happen - don't kid yourselves - NUFC are JUST as capable of becoming like the Mackems were because they are run badly - end of story..