NUFC players or England?

madras

I agree with Madras and the Northumbrian, but then I have never been an England supporter - so no surprise there.

To add to the controversy I think NI should have its FIFA seat revoked with Windsor Park leveled to the ground and be treated like they are in Rugby: As one Country. You want to be proud of the lads from Tyrone or Belfast or wherever, fine - watch 'em play for Ireland.

Guest NIToon

I agree with Madras and the Northumbrian, but then I have never been an England supporter - so no surprise there.

To add to the controversy I think NI should have its FIFA seat revoked with Windsor Park leveled to the ground and be treated like they are in Rugby: As one Country. You want to be proud of the lads from Tyrone or Belfast or wherever, fine - watch 'em play for Ireland.

I think that's a bit of a harsh attitude towards Northern Ireland football.  I can be as proud as I want standing in Windsor, which is in my own country as opposed to Dublin which is in a foreign country.  By that rationale, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should exist as a British team, which I wouldn't want to see either.

As David Humphries, Ulster & Ireland rugby player said, "It's good playing for Ireland but nothing beats playing for your own country" (May not be exact words used)

I think that's a bit of a harsh attitude towards Northern Ireland football.  I can be as proud as I want standing in Windsor, which is in my own country as opposed to Dublin which is in a foreign country.  By that rationale, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should exist as a British team, which I wouldn't want to see either.

As David Humphries, Ulster & Ireland rugby player said, "It's good playing for Ireland but nothing beats playing for your own country" (May not be exact words used)

NI isn't in Britain, though is it. Its in the UK.

What I said is admittedly harsh and as I said controversial. I still feel that way though. I think the comparison with NI as opposed to Scotland/Wales/England is not completely the same, but there are admitted similarities. I dont want to hijack this thread by discussing "the troubles" but obviously I feel that if NI were forced to play with a unified Ireland that might help bring the communities closer together and even if it didn't it would be one less excuse to drive them apart... which you must admit Windsor Park certainly does. Example: Lennon's reception a few years ago.

Despite my own feelings on the matter, I can't do anything except tip my hat to the current NI set up and respectfully acknowledge how much they have drastically improved with very little talent at their disposal (quite stunning really). It is possible NI qualifies and England does not which would be sweet.

What I said is admittedly harsh and as I said controversial. I still feel that way though. I think the comparison with NI as opposed to Scotland/Wales/England is not completely the same, but there are admitted similarities. I dont want to hijack this thread by discussing "the troubles" but obviously I feel that if NI were forced to play with a unified Ireland that might help bring the communities closer together and even if it didn't it would be one less excuse to drive them apart... which you must admit Windsor Park certainly does. Example: Lennon's reception a few years ago.

Despite my own feelings on the matter, I can't do anything except tip my hat to the current NI set up and respectfully acknowledge how much they have drastically improved with very little talent at their disposal (quite stunning really). It is possible NI qualifies and England does not which would be sweet.

bearing in mind they are 2 seperate countries,where as england,scotland,wales and northern irealnd aren't really seperate,wouldn't it make more sense to join up the "home" nations.

i don't support this but it seems more logical (captain) than the other suggestion.

bearing in mind they are 2 seperate countries,where as england,scotland,wales and northern irealnd aren't really seperate,wouldn't it make more sense to join up the "home" nations.

i don't support this but it seems more logical (captain) than the other suggestion.

I don't see NI and the south as being seperate countries. Just because WE made it that way last century, doesn't make it right.

I don't see NI and the south as being seperate countries. Just because WE made it that way last century, doesn't make it right.

regardless of wether it's right or not,they are seperate countries

Guest NIToon

Like CaliMag I don't want to get into a political thread but I was referring to British nationality, in the same way that the likes of Owen Hargreaves is 'English'

Like CaliMag I don't want to get into a political thread but I was referring to British nationality, in the same way that the likes of Owen Hargreaves is 'English'

No, i mean that literally, NI is not part of the British isles, regardless of politics.

regardless of wether it's right or not,they are seperate countries

I disagree, but this isn't the forum. Literally.

No, i mean that literally, NI is not part of the British isles, regardless of politics.

get your point.that's how the rest of europe sees england and scotland.

But i thought that officially we ARE part of Europe? (i'd rather not be at times, but hey).

NI is part of the UK, but not the British Isles, is my point.

Madras:

I disagree with a UK team being more logical than a Unified Ireland team.

I don't have the history of the various FA's in front of me, but I believe the invention of the NI FA happened very late and Ireland used to have a single FA. The fact that the UK is waaaaaay overrepresented by FIFA is because their respective FAs pre-date FIFA (because we invented the game) - admission into FIFA by the British Isles happened after ROI was formed and the admissions were done after much political wrangling and the UK demanding its full and seperate representation.

My point (belaboured as it is) is that political boundaries are less important that histroical precedence in forming the original FIFA seats anyway so why not have a unified Ireland play as they would have pre 1920s.

Regarding bringing together the home Countries - I am surprsed FIFA doesn't force the UK to shrink down to a single representation. And you can't argue its because we all hate eachotehr because all you have to do is look at Spain to realise that there are many "Countries" in Europe with different regions claiming seperate identities and ethnicities, fearce rivalries, hatreds etc.

Madras:

I disagree with a UK team being more logical than a Unified Ireland team.

I don't have the history of the various FA's in front of me, but I believe the invention of the NI FA happened very late and Ireland used to have a single FA. The fact that the UK is waaaaaay overrepresented by FIFA is because their respective FAs pre-date FIFA (because we invented the game) - admission into FIFA by the British Isles happened after ROI was formed and the admissions were done after much political wrangling and the UK demanding its full and seperate representation.

My point (belaboured as it is) is that political boundaries are less important that histroical precedence in forming the original FIFA seats anyway so why not have a unified Ireland play as they would have pre 1920s.

Regarding bringing together the home Countries - I am surprsed FIFA doesn't force the UK to shrink down to a single representation. And you can't argue its because we all hate eachotehr because all you have to do is look at Spain to realise that there are many "Countries" in Europe with different regions claiming seperate identities and ethnicities, fearce rivalries, hatreds etc.

NI, Wales, England and Scotland aen't "regions" though. They are genuine seperate countries, who happen to have come shared borders, and a (unsuccessful) recent history of centralised governemnt. I can't imagine the badness of a UK (or British Isles) team. Urgh.

But i thought that officially we ARE part of Europe? (i'd rather not be at times, but hey).

Ireland is part of the british isles.

i know what he means

Sorry, Great Britain, i meant.

No, its not. Sorry.

Back to the original question: If NUFC had 5 players that played for Country X I would defnately support Country X in the Euros or World Cup strongly and would support that Country over my native national teams (Scotland & USA) as long as they did not have dodgy politics attached to them (like Serbia, NI, Iran, etc.).

No, its not. Sorry.

Just amended, sorry.

Back to the original question: If NUFC had 5 players that played for Country X I would defnately support Country X in the Euros or World Cup strongly and would support that Country over my native national teams (Scotland & USA) as long as they did not have dodgy politics attached to them (like Serbia, NI, Iran, etc.).

I would always support my country above any other nation, regardless of who played for the opposition. Exactly the same as i wouldn't support Man Utd above Newcastle if the Mancs happened to field 5 Geordies and we fielded none.

you shouldn't support USA under your dodgy politics rule.

come on,you were all thinking it >:D

I would always support my country above any other nation, regardless of who played for the opposition. Exactly the same as i wouldn't support Man Utd above Newcastle if the Mancs happened to field 5 Geordies and we fielded none.

... and therein lies the difference. I care significantly less about Scotland and the USA than I care about how NUFC performs and I imagine the majority on here do (edit: about their own respective Countries - I am well aware of the fact that the USA and especially Scotland are... loathed by the majority on here).

Convesely I never support ManUre even if they are the only british team in Europe... I just won't do it.

you shouldn't support USA under your dodgy politics rule.

come on,you were all thinking it >:D

Fair play... I even thought about it. But there are some Countries that I would never support - I would not necessarily hate them or disrespect their skill but "support"... no.