What the hell's his problem??? (Alan Oliver related thread)

Guest hindu times

Guest Gemmill

Whats the bigger worry? Martins first touch, or the team not being able to create clear goal scoring chance when a team comes to sit back and defend.

Skirge ma, you're confusing one problem with another.  They're both problems, we just happen to be discussing one in particular in this thread.  And I'm sorry, but Martins' performance on Saturday was ALWAYS going to be singled out.  He looked like one of the celebrities from The Match.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Martins doesn't need a first touch, his play is about running onto a proper pass and firing it without thinking, if he has to take a first touch something went wrong.

Sounds like a well-balanced game he's got there.  Thank fuck you're not coaching him.  "Run......aaaaand kick!  Run........aaaaaand kick!  Yeah, bit harder.  And don't make the mistake of thinking." :razz:

'game' as in his instinctive style. He is the anti-Ameobi if you like. That was fucking obvious from day one if you could see him on the park through your tears ya big nancy

Guest Gemmill

Martins doesn't need a first touch, his play is about running onto a proper pass and firing it without thinking, if he has to take a first touch something went wrong.

Sounds like a well-balanced game he's got there.  Thank fuck you're not coaching him.  "Run......aaaaand kick!  Run........aaaaaand kick!  Yeah, bit harder.  And don't make the mistake of thinking." :razz:

'game' as in his instinctive style. He is the anti-Ameobi if you like. That was fucking obvious from day one if you could see him on the park through your tears ya big nancy

You said he didn't need a first touch.  Which is patently bollocks.  Anyway, shush, I'm not getting into another yes it is, no it isn't match with you.

Guest Invicta_Toon

You said he didn't need a first touch.  Which is patently bollocks.  Anyway, shush, I'm not getting into another yes it is, no it isn't match with you.

have a look at his goals, I'd bet most didn't involve a first touch with his foot. Lot like Sir Les actually. Mind, he can also trap with his chest and shoot in a smooth motion

like I say, he's the exact opposite of Ameobi

I guess I am just so pissed coz its Anal and we know he just loves the chance to slate the lad.

When I got back on Saturday I was fkn livid with the whole team and Roeder, Martins poor performace was not my biggest gripe with what went on.

Anal writing that kind of shite will not help anything though, the local press calling for Martins to be sold is fkn crazy, yeah we have no way of knowing if Oba will even hear about what Anal wrote or not, but how do you think he will react if he does find out about Anal's rant?

Oba does seem to be a confidence player and that is going to be a massive blow for him.

Guest puretoon

Martins would be much better under a proper manager-not Roeder. The only thing I had against Martins was his theatrics on missing the goal-way over the top.

We (hubby and I) think the players could be well trying to get rid of Roeder in their own way by not playing well. They did the same to get rid of Souness. They're actually a good team-if the manager was right.

Fair enough, we've got some crap players, but remember FS's words when roeder took over? 'We've got a quality squad'........its the same players-bar Martins and Duff.

We couldn't and still can't see the point of bringing in Duff & Sibi when he had Zog and Milner there. We knew he'd use both his own buys and leave the good young lads out.

Now Roeders saying he didn't bend to fans pressure when he brought young Milner on-tit head! and that we're now where near reglegation zone-the mans a tit head alright.

Guest Gemmill

Martins would be much better under a proper manager-not Roeder. The only thing I had against Martins was his theatrics on missing the goal-way over the top.

We (hubby and I) think the players could be well trying to get rid of Roeder in their own way by not playing well. They did the same to get rid of Souness. They're actually a good team-if the manager was right.

Fair enough, we've got some crap players, but remember FS's words when roeder took over? 'We've got a quality squad'........its the same players-bar Martins and Duff.

We couldn't and still can't see the point of bringing in Duff & Sibi when he had Zog and Milner there. We knew he'd use both his own buys and leave the good young lads out.

Now Roeders saying he didn't bend to fans pressure when he brought young Milner on-tit head! and that we're now where near reglegation zone-the mans a tit head alright.

I like the way you conduct most of your post in the Royal "we". 

"Pheeleep and I"

:razz:

Guest DarkSchneider

The problem is Roeder and allmost no one else...

He is just not capable of anything a good managar should be.

Tactics : 0/10

Team selection 0/10

Transfers : 1/10

Press Talk : -67/10

Demoralizing players : 10/10

Maybe he has the vision for the future, targeting young prospects, just having "his" players won't win him anything.

He's a virus that needs to be cured as soon as possible. This situation reminds me very much of Souness time. Total crap.

Doesn't Oliver recall that Tierry Henry was crap in his first season?  Would he have sold him as well because he hadn't adjusted straight away?

Martins needs a full season at least to adjust to the premiership.  With some, eg Postiga, Rebrov, they just never adjusted to the premiership.  Others, like Berbatov, adjusted pretty quickly (but not from day one).  Others, like Martins, Henry, Drogba, need/needed a full season to adjust. 

Martins has all the attributes to be a success in the premiership, stick with him!

...yet Martins has 10 league goals & Berbatov has 8.

Guest Gemmill

Doesn't Oliver recall that Tierry Henry was crap in his first season?  Would he have sold him as well because he hadn't adjusted straight away?

Martins needs a full season at least to adjust to the premiership.  With some, eg Postiga, Rebrov, they just never adjusted to the premiership.  Others, like Berbatov, adjusted pretty quickly (but not from day one).  Others, like Martins, Henry, Drogba, need/needed a full season to adjust. 

Martins has all the attributes to be a success in the premiership, stick with him!

Berbatov looks much the better player tbh.

I guess I am just so pissed coz its Anal and we know he just loves the chance to slate the lad.

When I got back on Saturday I was fkn livid with the whole team and Roeder, Martins poor performace was not my biggest gripe with what went on.

Anal writing that kind of shite will not help anything though, the local press calling for Martins to be sold is fkn crazy, yeah we have no way of knowing if Oba will even hear about what Anal wrote or not, but how do you think he will react if he does find out about Anal's rant?

Oba does seem to be a confidence player and that is going to be a massive blow for him.

Martins knew what he was getting into when he asked for the number 9 shirt and he quite simply has to accept the reasoned criticism that comes his way. He was the most expensive player on the park for us on Saturday and has been in every single game he's played this season - with the price-tag and the shirt comes enormous responsibility. It's like Parker being the number one target because he wears the armband, Martins is next in line because of his position and the previous two factors mentioned.

Now there is someone saying a bloke who had both of those roles to fill and a bigger price tag on his head offered practically nothing for over 8 years here "other than goals" - I feel I've read almost everything on this board after seeing that gem.

Martins does deserve credit for sticking at it, if nothing else, he must have something about him with the number of games he's had to play this season - with almost zero support for the vast majority of most of them - and he's yet to succumb to an injury or cry-off like a number of more senior players than him have perhaps done recently.

Oliver is wrong to demand his sale, but we all know about him, don't we? I wouldn't worry about it too much - we might even get treat to Oba giving him a good kicking - John Gibson is probably going into hiding very soon if his vendetta keeps up.

Quite and Berb is more creative for those around. But Martins can change a game in an instant....Not may players can..Although a little overpriced I'm saying he's a good un. blueyes.gif

Different style of player to Martins but he would be the ideal partner for him, Berbatov is a much more involved player, great link up play and vision .

Swap Owen for Berbatov and I would not complain.

I agree and i'd swap them in an instant, but the suggestion Berbatov has adjusted any quicker is bemusing.

I've said before i don't think Martins will improve with age, the flaws in his game will remain along with his ability to score goals. The trouble is, we already have a classier version in Michael Owen.

Guest optimistic nit

Anal writing that kind of s**** will not help anything though, the local press calling for Martins to be sold is fkn crazy, yeah we have no way of knowing if Oba will even hear about what Anal wrote or not, but how do you think he will react if he does find out about Anal's rant?

Martins knew what he was getting into when he asked for the number 9 shirt and he quite simply has to accept the reasoned criticism that comes his way. He was the most expensive player on the park for us on Saturday and has been in every single game he's played this season - with the price-tag and the shirt comes enormous responsibility. It's like Parker being the number one target because he wears the armband, Martins is next in line because of his position and the previous two factors mentioned.

Now there is someone saying a bloke who had both of those roles to fill and a bigger price tag on his head offered practically nothing for over 8 years here "other than goals" - I feel I've read almost everything on this board after seeing that gem.

Martins does deserve credit for sticking at it, if nothing else, he must have something about him with the number of games he's had to play this season - with almost zero support for the vast majority of most of them - and he's yet to succumb to an injury or cry-off like a number of more senior players than him have perhaps done recently.

Oliver is wrong to demand his sale, but we all know about him, don't we? I wouldn't worry about it too much - we might even get treat to Oba giving him a good kicking - John Gibson is probably going into hiding very soon if his vendetta keeps up.

:rolleyes:

Different style of player to Martins but he would be the ideal partner for him, Berbatov is a much more involved player, great link up play and vision .

Swap Owen for Berbatov and I would not complain.

Owen & Berbatov would probably be the best partnership in the Premiership.

Guest Gemmill

I agree and i'd swap them in an instant, but the suggestion Berbatov has adjusted any quicker is bemusing.

I've said before i don't think Martins will improve with age, the flaws in his game will remain along with his ability to score goals. The trouble is, we already have a classier version in Michael Owen.

I think the fact that Berbatov looks a better player on a consistent basis is evidence enough that he's adjusted quicker than Martins.  It helps that he actually IS a better player of course, but he's also performing to a higher standard more consistently, so I'm not sure what's too bemusing about the statement that he's adjusted quicker.  Berbatov looks a good Premiership striker.  Martins....well, he looks like a once in a while wonder.

I think the fact that Berbatov looks a better player on a consistent basis is evidence enough that he's adjusted quicker than Martins.  It helps that he actually IS a better player of course, but he's also performing to a higher standard more consistently, so I'm not sure what's too bemusing about the statement that he's adjusted quicker.  Berbatov looks a good Premiership striker.  Martins....well, he looks like a once in a while wonder.

He hates shooting though. :cheesy:

True, but Berb's contribution to the team is greater than Martins when neither are scoring.  They are totally different types of players but Berbatov contributes a great deal to the team even when not scoring, I can't honestly say the same about Martins from what I've seen so far.  I'm sure it will come in time, but not yet. 

Berbatov does suffer from poor form in away games but he is a very decent player and I am sure he will fix that part of him game soon enough, the reason i said swap Owen for him and not Martins is just that I see Martins having a longer future here than Owen.

Exactly. I think they've both adjusted well and Berbatov is looking the better player, which he is. Jol's post suggested Martins is going to get significantly better in the coming seasons.

Is this the first sign FS has let loose the dogs on GR? blueyes.gif

Possibly the most insightful comment in the whole thread - and totally overlooked!!!

We all know Oliver is the lapdog of the club - so I'd say it's very interesting that Oliver is, for the first time, directly turning his poison pen on Roeder. At Freddy's request...?

nufc.com said Saturday was the day Roeder lost the fans - has he also lost Anal Oliver and/or Freddy Shepherd?

Much as I despise this so-called journalist, this gives me some hope that Roeder will be out sooner rather than later (which opens the whole can of worms re who is next, but lets leave that for another thread...)

Is this the first sign FS has let loose the dogs on GR? blueyes.gif

Possibly the most insightful comment in the whole thread - and totally overlooked!!!

We all know Oliver is the lapdog of the club - so I'd say it's very interesting that Oliver is, for the first time, directly turning his poison pen on Roeder. At Freddy's request...?

nufc.com said Saturday was the day Roeder lost the fans - has he also lost Anal Oliver and/or Freddy Shepherd?

Much as I despise this so-called journalist, this gives me some hope that Roeder will be out sooner rather than later (which opens the whole can of worms re who is next, but lets leave that for another thread...)

Oliver woudn't contradict GR unless FS had given him the ok. Pretty sure about that. blueyes.gif And the heavy attacks on Martins....Roeder buy. blueyes.gif

Also, it's worth noting that this isn't the first time Oliver has openly disagreed with something that Roeder has said - the bloke might need to keep good relations with the club, but he's still a journo at the end of the day. I'm sure Roeder will appreciate that he's entitled to his opinion and that he's trying to find the balance between the fans and the club, while being an utter arse along with it.