If we hadn't have bought Shearer, who would you have liked?

Guest JonnyRogers

Martins was probably about 17 in 96 right?

He was exactly the same age as me in 96 (we share the same DOB) so he would have been 11/12

I've got the same date of birth as Emmanuel Adebayour.  I told my mate this at the match one time and he was with his 8 year old brother.  The brother's response was "eeeh that's weird cos you's are like opposites.  You're white, he's black.  You smoke, he probably doesn't"

Almost hindsight driven this but two forwards/strikers of comparible ability at the combined price - ie. 15m - who could have been offloaded and recycled when their respective days of productivity had clearly passed them by, instead of drafting in an 'object of worship', whose romantic move back to the North East due to his obvious ties with the area which resulted in him being fawned over by supporters immediately and the board alike, held during his mid-late career here and still does hold too much influence at the club.

:clap:

Almost hindsight driven this but two forwards/strikers of comparible ability at the combined price - ie. 15m - who could have been offloaded and recycled when their respective days of productivity had clearly passed them by, instead of drafting in an 'object of worship', whose romantic move back to the North East due to his obvious ties with the area which resulted in him being fawned over by supporters immediately and the board alike, held during his mid-late career here and still does hold too much influence at the club.

Shearer at 25, right.....

Shearer was one of the best strikers in the world at the time so **** off.

Did we actually need another striker at that point? At the start of the season, we ended up with six - Shearer, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Asprilla, Kitson and Huckerby.

A wide man to replace Gillespie, a new keeper, and a CB to replace Albert would have been better bets.

That 96 side was beautifully balanced going forward. You had a centre forward being fed by two wide men, but there was also a threat down the middle with a withdrawn striker and an attacking midfielder, the whole thing being protected by an anchor man. The problem with first Asprilla and then Shearer was that the shape got altered to include them. Keegan needed to keep the shape and just look to strengthen the only weak attacking position (wide right), and bolster the defence.

Guest firetotheworks

Martins was probably about 17 in 96 right?

He was exactly the same age as me in 96 (we share the same DOB) so he would have been 11/12

I've got the same date of birth as Emmanuel Adebayour.  I told my mate this at the match one time and he was with his 8 year old brother.  The brother's response was "eeeh that's weird cos you's are like opposites.  You're white, he's black.  You smoke, he probably doesn't"

Haha, thats class. My mate once went 'youve got the same birthday as Martins? Ah right, I thought you just had the same date of birth'

I hang around with the mentally challenged.

Also, for the list, I really like Enrico Chiesa at the time. I would have loved to seen him play for us, nowhere near as good as Shearer mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Batistuta was the only other world class total package of a striker at that time.

Very, very debatable. I'd say he was the only other player at that time who was in the Shearer mould, and at the same level. But Ronaldo was very different, but still the total package (not in relation to how good became, but in relation to how good he needed to be)

Guest firetotheworks

David Seaman, Colin Hendry and Dwight Yorke. But happier we got Shearer.

Weren't we linked with him every week?

Read him again - he's saying Shearer needed to be offloaded earlier than when he was 34, not that he should've been when he was 25.

Read him again - he's saying Shearer needed to be offloaded earlier than when he was 34, not that he should've been when he was 25.

I was drunk at the time anyway.  ;D

Ignore my post I was chatting ****!