Darren Bent

Martin Lol

Guest graemeh72

£15m in for Martins and £10m out for D.Bent would be fantastic business imo.

awful business. martins shouldn't be sold.. never

Martins is good but we might as well sell and get the money now....

Guaranteed this is what will happen.... stop me if you've heard this one before

- 2007/8 Owen and Shola are the 1st choice pairing

- Martins goes from starting 40+ games to starting 20+/- and coming on as a sub loads

- Martins gets the hump cos he thinks he should be playing every week after all he did in 2006/7

- Martins gets his agent on the case at the end of the 2007/8 season

- NUFC sell at thereabouts a £5m loss

Sound familiar?

I think Bent is better than Martins anyway but if you could also make a profit on the deal then I'd snap Valencia's hand off for the £15m and get Bent for £10m. That's £5m right there for a decent defender.

this.

I really think its too early to too tell about how well Martins will do, he still needs time to settle, needs time to work in a striking pair week in week out thats the same then we judge. I think Bent is excellent and wish we had of gotten him in the summer but in a way glad we didn't if the reported 14 mill bid didn't work then getting him in the summer for between 8-10 would be champion but don't want to let Martins go. How about letting Owen go the older striker and getting the younger pair working week in week out.

I think Martins just needs an arm round the shoulder more often to come good, no way Bent has the raw talent Martins has, and I can't picture Roeder being buddy-like without appearing to be a bad actor.

Let's face it NUFC in its current state must seem a million miles away from what he left. Another 12 months in a team that starts performing with proper direction and control and you'll see a different Martins.

Maybe, .. if we get proper direction and control that is...

Guest Peter.Sthlm

I think Bent is better than Martins anyway but if you could also make a profit on the deal then I'd snap Valencia's hand off for the £15m and get Bent for £10m. That's £5m right there for a decent defender.

You have to think about the wage as well. I don't know what Martins earns but if we sign Bent for £10m he's gonna ask for a wage increase which could be (alot?) more than Martins earns at the moment.

There's not much separating Martins and Bent, but Martins has the potential to play at a much higher level and its no suprise the likes of Valencia are sniffing round him and not Bent. He can be infuriating at times but there is a great deal of talent there waiting to be utilised. Given the right environment and coaching he'll be a top player, while i think Bent has already reached his peak. i'd rather we get the right management team in to get the best out of the likes of Martins, taking a long-term approach for once rather than this short-term "ooh his movement is crap lets get rid" bollocks.

I cant understand people sometimes.

Martins is 22, he hasnt been at the club or in England for a full year, he has all the attributes to be one of the best strikers in the world, he's certainly different to any striker we have ever had at this club yet people are happy now to offload him for a minimal profit.

Then later we will question the clubs ambition. The club will never improve if people cant cope with anything other than instant success. So Allardyce takes over and has a bad half season and people will be on his back, all his players drop dead of the plague and he will get the sack for not being good enough.

Its no wonder we are laughed at or pitied or hated, we have become the most impatient, desperate, cynical set of fans in the country (not without reason though). It wont matter who gets brought in, players, coaches, tea lady, someone will be on their backs from day one.

There's not much separating Martins and Bent, but Martins has the potential to play at a much higher level and its no suprise the likes of Valencia are sniffing round him and not Bent. He can be infuriating at times but there is a great deal of talent there waiting to be utilised. Given the right environment and coaching he'll be a top player, while i think Bent has already reached his peak. i'd rather we get the right management team in to get the best out of the likes of Martins, taking a long-term approach for once rather than this short-term "ooh his movement is crap lets get rid" bollocks.

This. O0

Guest Knightrider

The thing we mustn't forget about here regarding Martins is while £15m may seem tempting, here is a player who could potentially net 15+ goals a season and given his age, for a long time to come too - maybe 10 years ala Shearer. You look at things from that angle and £5m profit doesn't seem all that tempting. Bent is a good player but he's disticntly average when you take away his pace - your typical trumped up English player tbh, ala Andy Johnson.

Ask yourself would Bent have scored 17 goals in his first season at Newcastle having just arrived from Ipswich or Johnson from Palace - this Newcastle team? To come from Inter to a new country and perform relatively poor in the majority of games yet still bag 17 in what is one of the worst sides we've had in recent memory, is the type of player you want to be keeping at all costs no?

Young pacey strikers with an eye for goal are rare breeds, or are very expensive as someone will find out with Bent. We already have one who cost good money admittedly but I think has shown enough in front of goal to be money well spent at this stage and there is certainly nothing to suggest he can't carry on and improve on his weak spots.

Don't get me wrong, money back plus profit for any player is always a tempting idea, but only if you replace such players with much better which Bent doesn't represent over Martins in my opinion. For Martins' flaws, Bent has an equal number too.

I'd much rather look at selling Owen first, who is injury prone and doesn't really want to be here if he had his own say on such things. Furthermore his wages will probably be double that of Martins' and he's much older too.

I'd much rather look at selling Owen first, who is injury prone and doesn't really want to be here if he had his own say on such things. Furthermore his wages will probably be double that of Martins' and he's much older too.

Agreed.

I don't think we've got any chance of geting him to sign a new contract, in 12 months time we'll sell him for something like £6million.