Levy to fight Spurs Takeover Bid.............

Martin Lol

.............. so says the Mail

Levy to fight off oil magnate's White Hart Lane takeover bid

By DANNY GRIFFITHS

Last updated at 12:30pm on 4th May 2007

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is set to repel any offers to buy the White Hart Lane club as its Stock Market value continues to soar.

The Spurs share price has risen by more nearly a third in the last fortnight as talk of a buyout bid by East European businessmen continues to gather pace.

Shares were selling at 116p each at 11.12am today up from 85p on April 20 and in a different world from the 29p on offer little more than 18 months ago.

Vagit Alekperov, rated by Forbes magazine as the 48th richest person worldwide with £6.3billion of net worth, is believed to be one of the men interested in following in the footsteps of Roman Abramovich and investing in an English football club.

Tottenham are an attractive proposition as they are based in London and are already a worldwide brand thanks to their rich tradition both at home and abroad.

The 56-year-old Alekperov was born in Baku, Azerbaijan, one of the earliest centres of the international petroleum industry.

His father, who died when Vagit was a boy, worked in the oil fields all his life and inspired Alekperov to follow in his footsteps.

It is believed, however, that Levy - a lifelong Tottenham supporter - has no desire to hand over power. He has worked diligently to bring back former glories to the N17 club since ENIC took control of Spurs from Alan Sugar.

Another summer of big spending in the transfer market is planned to bring in the five-star players to transform Tottenham from UEFA Cup candidates into a side capable of breaking into the Premiership's top four with regular Champions League football at White Hart Lane the prime objective.

It is also thought that Levy, a loyal lieutenant to tycoon Joe Lewis, who owns the club's parent company, will be assisted by the Bahamas-based billionaire's son Charlie in bringing real success to Spurs.

Tottenham are already in a financial power of strength as they are comfortably ensconced among the top world's top 20 richest clubs.

Lucrative deals were struck last year with shirt sponsors Mansion and kit suppliers Puma and the club have 23,000 season ticket holders with another 30,000 on the waiting list and a blossoming membership scheme adding to the strong fanbase.

There are plans to redevelop White Hart Lane to increase the 36,000 capacity and Spurs have even announced their finances are so stable they can afford to snub offers of £40million for star striker Dimitar Berbatov with manager Martin Jol maintaining: "We are not a selling club."

I think that this is the first time Vagit Alekperov has been mentioned in the press, although I have mentioned his name here a couple of times going back nearly a year.  My understanding, contrary to what the Mail is saying, is that Levy is holding out for as a good a price as possible and maximise his profit before moving to the States.  When Enic in Spetember buys the unsold shares they underwrote Enic will have roughly 52%.  That's when I think Levy will sell.  The Mail probably think that as well but aren't saying it yet.  So I think in the New Year Spurs will be owned by a Russian and I can't say I'm especially happy about the prospect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=452680&in_page_id=1779

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=22519.0

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=39177.0

Guest Gemmill

The Mail reported that we were all but sold a couple of months back, so I wouldn't wet yourself just yet.

Zambia Mufulira copper mine may reopen next week

Fri 4 May 2007, 9:13 GMT

[-] Text [+] LUSAKA (Reuters) - Zambia's Mufulira copper mine may restart partial production next week at a shaft which was flooded a fortnight ago, a senior union official said on Friday.

National Union of Allied and Mining Workers general secretary Albert Mando said the mine had made good progress pumping out water in two levels of the underground mine.

"In one week's time, production may resume in one section of the flooded area because a lot of progress has been made in pumping out water and a lot of water continues to come out," Mando told Reuters.

Union leaders are regularly briefed by mine officials on the recovery work at the mine.

On Tuesday, Mufulira district commissioner Dyford Muulwa said operations on two levels of the Mufulira mine, which is a unit of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) and one of Zambia's oldest and largest copper mines, had been suspended following floods.

Other mine shafts and levels at the mine were operating normally.

Mopani has not said how much copper output it will lose as a result of production delays caused by the floods.

Mufulira mine is located in a region that receives above normal rainfall and is usually affected by floods when there are heavy rains in this mineral-rich southern African country.

MCM is a joint venture between Swiss commodities trader Glencore International AG and Canada's First Quantum Minerals. MCM also operates the Nkana mine and Mufulira smelter, which has capacity to produce 850,000 tonnes of copper per year.

http://africa.reuters.com/business/news/usnBAN436794.html

http://cnn.co.za

[-] Text [+] LUSAKA (Reuters) - Zambia's Mufulira copper mine may restart partial production next week at a shaft which was flooded a fortnight ago, a senior union official said on Friday.

National Union of Allied and Mining Workers general secretary Albert Mando said the mine had made good progress pumping out water in two levels of the underground mine.

"In one week's time, production may resume in one section of the flooded area because a lot of progress has been made in pumping out water and a lot of water continues to come out," Mando told Reuters.

Union leaders are regularly briefed by mine officials on the recovery work at the mine.

On Tuesday, Mufulira district commissioner Dyford Muulwa said operations on two levels of the Mufulira mine, which is a unit of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) and one of Zambia's oldest and largest copper mines, had been suspended following floods.

Mopani has not said how much copper output it will lose as a result of production delays caused by the floods.

Mufulira mine is located in a region that receives above normal rainfall and is usually affected by floods when there are heavy rains in this mineral-rich southern African country.

MCM is a joint venture between Swiss commodities trader Glencore International AG and Canada's First Quantum Minerals. MCM also operates the Nkana mine and Mufulira smelter, which has capacity to produce 850,000 tonnes of copper per year.

Oh yes, fully behind this, need to get it sorted asap!  :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

i spent fucking ages trying to work out what the link was here :lol::lol:  :tickedoff: