Berbatov to Man Ure

Skirge

I don't think the club will sell, and more importantly, Berbatov doesn't want to leave. He's a modest player from a modest background, and money really doesn't seem to be a motivating factor for him. Neither is playing in the Champions League. I also think it's important to note that he stayed loyal to Leverkusen years after their obvious decline in the Bundesliga, while he says he rejected a late offer from United because he'd already committed to Spurs and was impressed by our perseverance to get him...speaks volumes about his character.

I also can't see Utd splashing out something like £30m on one player. Especially if they're squabbling over a £2-3m difference in their valuation of Hargreaves.

Agree with most of what you said, but the bit in bold is reaching a bit far.  A player of his caliber should aspire to be playing regular CL football. 

He said on SSN one time that it is more important to be happy playing in a competitive league than playing in CL.  Not much doubt he wants CL but is prepared to wait a bit to get it.  How long is the big question.............

Guest Triglett

I don't think the club will sell, and more importantly, Berbatov doesn't want to leave. He's a modest player from a modest background, and money really doesn't seem to be a motivating factor for him. Neither is playing in the Champions League. I also think it's important to note that he stayed loyal to Leverkusen years after their obvious decline in the Bundesliga, while he says he rejected a late offer from United because he'd already committed to Spurs and was impressed by our perseverance to get him...speaks volumes about his character.

I also can't see Utd splashing out something like £30m on one player. Especially if they're squabbling over a £2-3m difference in their valuation of Hargreaves.

Agree with most of what you said, but the bit in bold is reaching a bit far.  A player of his caliber should aspire to be playing regular CL football. 

I say that because I've seen two interviews where he's nonchalantly dismissed it as the holy grail of football. He doesn't seem to have a real hunger for it. I think Jol's also said that it was never even a factor for Berbatov.

Berbatov will go nowhere this summer, there is no pressure to sell as there was with Carrick.

Next summer?  Depends on how Spurs perform, whether Berba signs a new contract etc.  I wouldn't rule it out next summer but not this. 

I dunno, any player can move for the right price.  You honestly wouldn't bite for $30mil? 

See your point, though.  No pressure on Spurs to sell. 

I said in a previous thread that Levy wouldn't sell less than £30m, probably not go for £35m either.  Not that he's worth that, I reckon around £22m currently, but it sends out all the wrong signals if we did sell, selling club, no ambition etc.  Carrick had only 2 years left and wanted to go, Berba (with options to extend) has 4 and says he's happy at the present time. 

If we started to go backwards, he would be gone soon enough.

You could buy a couple of players called ambition with 30mil in the bank.  Hard to be labeled a selling club when you'd use the money to buy other quality players.  You're hardly a club like Wigan. 

Try telling the bulk of the Spurs fans that! :lol: :lol:

If we got Bent, Owen and Baines for Berba, I personally would take it.  I would also be very much in the minority.

What looks likes the final update on this rumour comes from Berbatov's agent:

Dimitar Berbatov's agent appears on Radio Five Live

Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev appeared on Radio Five Live this evening in a bid to counter suggestions that his client would move from White Hart Lane in the summer.

Stating that Dimitar was enjoying his football and that they both felt they had 'found the right club in Tottenham'. Dantchev also moved to counter rumours of a move to Manchester United, amid feverish speculation amongst the tabloids that Sir Alex is targeting the Bulgarian. According to Dantchev there has been no contact with any other club, and the repeated denials can only be a good thing for the fans and the club alike. After the Michael Carrick incident last season fans could be forgiven for taking constant reassurances that the club have no intention of selling one of their top players with a pinch of salt; hopefully, in this case, we can all rest easy.

The news comes after Berbatov inspired the 2-0 victory against Charlton last night, a result which saw our London rivals slip from the top tier of English football. The Bulgarian hitman opened the scoring after duping Charlton defender El Karkouri with the deftest of touches, sauntering around the lead footed Moroccan and poking the ball brilliantly past Scott Carson. The result and respectable performance was confirmed after substitute Jermain Defoe connected to a Berbatov through ball to fire past the on loan Liverpool goalie from 20 yards. The result puts the club into sixth with just two games remaining. In such good form, and with a confidence inspiring clean sheet in the bag (just our sixth of the season), further UEFA Cup football looks a distinct probability, rather than possibility, next season.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=337876

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=465643&CPID=8&clid=6&lid=3&title=Berbatov+makes+Spurs+pledge&channel=&

Dimitar Berbatov's agent insists the player is happy to stay at Tottenham.

The Bulgarian's future at White Hart Lane has been the subject of intense speculation in recent weeks with a number of top sides thought to be monitoring his situation.

Berbatov has enjoyed a tremendous debut season in the Premiership and his performances have caught the eye of several top clubs.

Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with the classy forward with reports suggesting they are ready to test Spurs' resolve to hang onto the 26-year-old.

However, Berbatov's representative Emil Dantchev, who said last month the player would stay in North London for at least another year, says the situation has not changed and the former Bayer Leverkusen man plans to stay at Tottenham.

"Nothing has changed - except for the number of goals that he has scored," Dantchev told the Guardian. "He is very happy with Tottenham."

Spurs boss Martin Jol is confident of keeping Berbatov and he believes there is more to come from the skilful hit-man.

"He would be in my team of the year, but there is a lot of room for improvement," said Jol.

"He's not surprised me, but the only thing is how they gel with other players when they come from a different country. After a couple of weeks, he was always on fire.

"I think Dimitar can score 20 in the Premiership because there are players doing that and I think he is as talented as any other player.

"In Germany, he scored on average over 20 goals and that is a good league."

Guest Gemmill

Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev appeared on Radio Five Live this evening in a bid to counter suggestions that his client would move from White Hart Lane in the summer.

Stating that Dimitar was enjoying his football and that they both felt they had 'found the right club in Tottenham'. Dantchev also moved to counter rumours of a move to Manchester United, amid feverish speculation amongst the tabloids that Sir Alex is targeting the Bulgarian. According to Dantchev there has been no contact with any other club, and the repeated denials can only be a good thing for the fans and the club alike. After the Michael Carrick incident last season fans could be forgiven for taking constant reassurances that the club have no intention of selling one of their top players with a pinch of salt; hopefully, in this case, we can all rest easy.

The news comes after Berbatov inspired the 2-0 victory against Charlton last night, a result which saw our London rivals slip from the top tier of English football. The Bulgarian hitman opened the scoring after duping Charlton defender El Karkouri with the deftest of touches, sauntering around the lead footed Moroccan and poking the ball brilliantly past Scott Carson. The result and respectable performance was confirmed after substitute Jermain Defoe connected to a Berbatov through ball to fire past the on loan Liverpool goalie from 20 yards. The result puts the club into sixth with just two games remaining. In such good form, and with a confidence inspiring clean sheet in the bag (just our sixth of the season), further UEFA Cup football looks a distinct probability, rather than possibility, next season.

It must be a relief to all Spurs fans to read this, safe in the knowledge that football agents never lie.

It must be a relief to all Spurs fans to read this, safe in the knowledge that football agents never lie.

I am suitably reassured! :lol: :lol:

Just hope that Alan Brazil wasn't lying when talking about Spurs this morning.  I'm sure he wasn't. :)

Guest Gemmill

Aye, I heard that about Wembley.  Brazil is king of bullshit like, but he sounded like he trusted his source on that one.  Gonna cost you a fucking fortune though.

Aye, I heard that about Wembley.  Brazil is king of bullshit like, but he sounded like he trusted his source on that one.  Gonna cost you a f****** fortune though.

Its a disgrace that Wembley is going to be loaned out to a club for 2-3 years.

Completely devalues it as a stage for cup finals etc. What happens if Spurs get to a cup final/ FA cup semi final. Are we going to move the game to Cardiff or Old Trafford to remain neutral?

They should ground share with Charlton, the addicks could do with the extra revenue

He said on SSN one time that it is more important to be happy playing in a competitive league than playing in CL.  Not much doubt he wants CL but is prepared to wait a bit to get it.  How long is the big question.............

I can't understand why any realistic Tottenham fan could ever envisage socmeone like Berbatov using you as anything other than a stepping stone, and how you could ever picture yourself as a Champions League club.

I can't understand why any realistic Tottenham fan could ever envisage socmeone like Berbatov using you as anything other than a stepping stone, and how you could ever picture yourself as a Champions League club.

Ambition, hopes, dreams.

In the pre-Keegan days, could you ever picture Newcastle competing in the Champions League?  Can Leeds fans hope that their club return to the heights of just a few years ago?

A lot will depend on how Spurs fare the rest of this season, what signings are made and how next season goes.  If the names I've heard come to fruition, then maybe we could push for a CL place, maybe not.  The good news is that there is a lot of money available in the transfer pot for the right players, Berbatov is very happy with life in London and at Spurs, and maybe surprisingly, Levy is reviewing the salary structure at the end of the season.  Add to that the news that Charlie Lewis (Joe's boy) will be taking a more active role at Spurs suggests that there might be more money about without the need for selling to an oligarch.

Whether there will be sufficient progress quickly enough to keep Berbatov happy only time will tell.  As I've said before, as long as I can see steady progress being made, I can wait for progression to the top table.  If Berbatov does go before that happens, Spurs should be receiving a very large fee in return.  I'm optimistic though that he will still be around for the next 4 years.

Ambition, hopes, dreams.

In the pre-Keegan days, could you ever picture Newcastle competing in the Champions League?  Can Leeds fans hope that their club return to the heights of just a few years ago?

A lot will depend on how Spurs fare the rest of this season, what signings are made and how next season goes.  If the names I've heard come to fruition, then maybe we could push for a CL place, maybe not.  The good news is that there is a lot of money available in the transfer pot for the right players, Berbatov is very happy with life in London and at Spurs, and maybe surprisingly, Levy is reviewing the salary structure at the end of the season.  Add to that the news that Charlie Lewis (Joe's boy) will be taking a more active role at Spurs suggests that there might be more money about without the need for selling to an oligarch.

Whether there will be sufficient progress quickly enough to keep Berbatov happy only time will tell.  As I've said before, as long as I can see steady progress being made, I can wait for progression to the top table.  If Berbatov does go before that happens, Spurs should be receiving a very large fee in return.  I'm optimistic though that he will still be around for the next 4 years.

Names you've heard  :lol:.  Like who?  Let me guess, Messi, Gattuso, Mancini, Gerrard and Sergio Ramos?  None of them are good enough for a club of Tottenham's huge unparalelled stature IMO.

Ambition, hopes, dreams.

Names you've heard  :lol:.  Like who?  Let me guess, Messi, Gattuso, Mancini, Gerrard and Sergio Ramos?  None of them are good enough for a club of Tottenham's huge unparalelled stature IMO.

Thats just as well then because I haven't heard any of those mentioned.

How much would the FA be looking to get in 'rent' for a club playing games at Wembley? I would be disappointed if it was less than say £500,000, giving them around 25million a season to help with the repayments.

EDIT: I have just been doing some rough calculations on gate money and i can't believe how much you make with say a 50,000 crowd paying £35 a head = 1.75million! If I was the FA I would be looking over a million pound a game rent in that case.

Guest kingdawson

Berbatov will be a Tottenham player next season imo. With European Football a probability again and the signing of a left winger im very optimistic about next season.

How much would the FA be looking to get in 'rent' for a club playing games at Wembley? I would be disappointed if it was less than say £500,000, giving them around 25million a season to help with the repayments.

EDIT: I have just been doing some rough calculations on gate money and i can't believe how much you make with say a 50,000 crowd paying £35 a head = 1.75million! If I was the FA I would be looking over a million pound a game rent in that case.

£35 per head would represent quite a reduction on what we have been paying but it would be for only 19 League matches plus whatever Cup fixtures..  Spurs have been speaking to the FA to try to arrange a 'dry run' pre-season friendly with Celtic.  The possibility of renting Wembley is still very much in its early stages though.  No doubt that Spurs now have all the land they need to either redevelop WHL to a 52/60k seater.  I think they would opt for the former with the capability of further expanson.  They've also been buying up industrial land nearby so they also have the option to do a complete rebuild if Transport for London can't sort out the transport infrastructure around WHL.

I have the feeling that the announcement regarding the future of WHL will be released once it's decided what happens while the building work takes place.

Ambition, hopes, dreams.

Names you've heard   :lol:.   Like who?  Let me guess, Messi, Gattuso, Mancini, Gerrard and Sergio Ramos?  None of them are good enough for a club of Tottenham's huge unparalelled stature IMO.

Thats just as well then because I haven't heard any of those mentioned.

:-D Stick to the likes of Kevin Scott and Oyvind Leonhardsen mate.

• 3 weeks later...

MANCHESTER UNITED are planning to table a massive offer of £27.5million plus Louis Saha for Tottenham’s Dimitar Berbatov.

On the day Owen Hargreaves completed his Old Trafford medical, the Reds were set to launch an incredible move worth £39m.

United hope they can persuade Spurs to release their star man by offering £11.5m-rated Saha plus the huge cash sum.

Spurs paid Bayer Leverkusen £10.9m for the Bulgarian international last summer.

Yesterday, Berbatov’s agent Emil Dantchev refused to confirm the player would be at White Hart Lane next season.

Dantchev said: “In football you do not know what will happen tomorrow.”

Spurs are trying to get Berbatov to sign a new six-year contract, doubling his £22,000-a-week deal. United could more than treble it to £70,000 a week.

Berbatov, 26, was a sensation in his first Premiership season, hitting 23 goals and winning rave reviews.

He also has 26 goals in 44 games for Bulgaria.

Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo hit 46 between them for United but boss Alex Ferguson believes Berbatov would be the ideal frontman for the pair to play off.

Hargreaves has played for Bayern Munich against Berbatov in the Bundesliga.

He said: “This season Berbatov has been a breath of fresh air in English football, he just makes the game look so easy at times.”

I know that the Sun isn't exactly the most reliable newspaper around, but it's still a rumour with a quote :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007240080,00.html