Butt - We must finish off with a win –

Skirge

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=we-must-finish-off-with-a-win-%2D-butt%26method=full%26objectid=19076697%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

We must finish off with a win Butt

May 10 2007

By Jack Pickering, The Journal

Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt is urging his team-mates to stick together in the wake of manager Glenn Roeder's departure.

Butt and his colleagues will head into the final game of a tough season at relegated Watford on Sunday with coach Nigel Pearson at the helm as chairman Freddie Shepherd searches for another boss.

Only victory at Vicarage Road will prevent the Magpies from achieving a new low points total in the Premiership, and that will be the main focus over the remaining days of the campaign.

Butt said: "We are all disappointed for the manager but, at the end of the day, that is football. Changes will always happen.

"We have just got to crack on with it and stick together. We have got one more game to go. We have got a good coaching staff who are still here. We have all had a chat, a team meeting, and been told we need to stick together and finish the season as strongly as we can."

Former Bolton manager Sam Allardyce remains the favourite to plug the gap, although the revelation that both Gerard Houllier and Sven-Göran Eriksson could be interested in the vacancy has sparked a fresh debate on Tyneside.

However, all that will concern the players over the next few days is the task of beating a Watford side determined to depart the top flight in style. Butt said: "They have got nothing to lose. It is their last game in the Premiership for at least a year. They will want to go out and enjoy it and give the home fans something to clap about.

"It will be a difficult game for us, but we know what we have to do, we have got to try to finish on a high. We know it has not been a great season but let's finish with a win."

The Magpies' chances of doing that could depend on the form of £17m striker Michael Owen, who has started the last two games after recovering from injury. Owen's future has been the topic of speculation, with Manchester United said to be among several clubs monitoring his situation.

However, his presence in the dressing room over the last couple of weeks has given him team-mates a lift.

Butt said: "Michael is a world-class player, everyone knows that. Any club in the world would have missed a player of that stature, so to have him back, and also to have him back looking as sharp and as fit as he is, is a bonus."

Meanwhile, Steve Sidwell looks set to sign for Chelsea in the summer, despite earlier claims that the Reading midfielder had already agreed to move to Newcastle at the end of the season.

Sidwell's arrival at St James's Park in June was described as the "worst kept secret in football" by some observers, but that no longer appears to be the case. Roeder's departure, as well as interest from Chelsea, Everton, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa, mean the Magpies are no longer the favourites to recruit the 24-year-old former Arsenal prospect, who is available on a Bosman-style free transfer.

Sidwell, who has persistently denied he had agreed to join Newcastle, has enjoyed a wonderful first season in the Premiership with Reading, but he was left out of the team when the two sides met last week, fuelling speculation he was heading to the North-East.

Chelsea, though, are also interested and manager Jose Mourinho is keen to add the player to his midfield ranks as he looks to avoid a repeat of the injury crisis which, he believes, cost his side the Premiership title this season.

Easy words.

If him and his f****** w****** colleagues had pulled their fingers out all season, we wouldn't be the f****** embarassment that we are.

aye for sure!

Does not seem to cutt up over Roeder though does he..

Even after Souness was sacked there were plenty of player interviews saying how gutted they were about it, I think it speaks volumes about how Roeder and the squad had problems with eachother in the end.

Guest Newcastler

Why must we finish off with a win? I couldnt care less - win, lose or draw. Cant wait till this debacle of a season is over and can prepare for next season with new management in place

Yeah, thats right, but a win is always better then a lose! :rolleyes:

Let us forget that season, maybe we can win against Watford and then let us look up to next season!

42 points, 45!! Who gives a feck.  I would rather have 42 and for the players to realise that Roeder aside, they are as much to blame and as shite as his management abilities.

45 points is hardly a fookin achievement...

What a mess...

Why must we finish off with a win? I couldnt care less - win, lose or draw

Sweet Jesus, some of my mates think I whinge about the Toon but in the last 7 days I have never read so much stuff from Newcastle fans who actually want Newcastle to LOSE games!!!!

Would be nice to put some youngsters out and for us to win with a good performance. No point at all starting with our "strongest" 11.

Putting some youngsters out could well BE our strongest 11!

Aye, thats why I said "strongest" 11 :D